“Pirate Fest” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Greenville
Bear Creek, North Carolina, United States
“Pirate Fest”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I booked a smoking double room. Upon check in, no smoking double room was available. The only thing was a King. As that was not acceptable, had to take the non-smoking room. I was not happy. The room, bed, bar, restaurant, etc were excellent but the front desk staff were not willing to do anything about the room situation.

Room Tip: Don't count on getting what you booked. And the front desk is not helpful.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diane E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

I usually stay at the Hilton when visiting the convention center but I booked my room too late and they were full so being that this hotel was so close I went ahead and booked. I will start with the positives. Front desk was very nice and helpful! The breakfast buffet was good and had a nice selection of food and again staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was clean although it smelled like smoke and I was in a non smoking room. A/C worked well and I had hot water. Now the negatives- smoke smell, dated interior, old tube television that was tiny and didn't have many channel options. The standing fridge with really old, dingy microwave sitting on top gave me the feeling of being in a cheap motel... Ordered room service and it was brought up promptly but the server came in a tshirt and cut off Jean shorts. It was a bit odd. The plates were chipped on the edges and the sour cream was milky so I didn't use it. I won't be staying here again. My belief is that it probably does a decent amount of business due to the location. More of a motel than hotel... It could be very nice if they did some major updating and renovating.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mandyb192
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed for an event at the convention center. The walk is a little longer from that hotel but the price was worth the walk. The value was great compared to closer hotels and the room was comfortable. We had no problems with hot water. The breakfast is absolutely delicious. It is a buffet and not your regular "hotel breakfast." The front desk personnel were kind and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pirategirlecu
elizabeth city, nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

I've stayed here half a dozen times, usually for an event in the hotel or next door at the convention center, and I've never been disappointed. This is a higher-end hotel (for this area), with Drexel furniture, king beds, and fridge/microwave in each room.

Service is always good, and the place is certainly worth the price $89 for two people, including breakfast.

The rooms are always clean, quiet, and well furnished. The pillows and mattress are very comfortable, so sleep quality is always excellent. The wireless Internet can be a tad difficult to log on, but signal quality is very good.

Breakfast is a real breakfast buffet, and not the usual garbage that some motels toss at you. Real scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, french toast strips, hot oatmeal, biscuits, toast, hash browns, sausage gravy, fruit, plus the expected collection of cereals, Danish, etc. The buffet is constantly attended, and the food is fresh and hot. All you can eat. This breakfast would cost $10-12 at a restaurant.

I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank weeksvillejoe
Greenville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

I was disappointed with my stay at this hotel. Breakfast today seemed to consist of cold left-overs much of which looked inedible. Also the Wi-Fi is extremely poor and frustrated me no end- was difficult to connect at the start, was slow and continually disconnected. Think I will spend a little more next time and stay somewhere else.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank turksmw
candace0904, General Manager at Holiday Inn Greenville, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your stay in December. The satisfaction of our guests is of the greatest importance to us. We make every effort to provide quality accommodations and services. Items on our breakfast buffet are freshly prepared and replenished as needed, each morning. We sincerely apologize that your experience was less the satisfactory. Our goal is to provide exceptional accommodations and your concerns will be addressed with the food and beverage department. We hope that you'll allow us to provide future accommodations.
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

I had reserved a king smoking room. The room was a little dated but wasn't bad. It had a dark burgundy carpet with a desk and a chair. The bathroom was small. I don't think you could shut the door if you were sitting on the toilet, but the bathroom was clean and fairly modern. The heating/cooling is by wall unit. They do get a point for having soft toilet paper!

The problem was when I decided to take a shower. There was barely any water coming out. If you wanted to take a bath, you would need to call ahead to have them start filling the tub. I've been in plenty of hotels with low pressure, but this was nearly amusing. I was thinking I'd skip washing my hair because it would take 15 minutes to get the shampoo out. Pretty soon I realized that I was going to have to skip the shower too because the water was ice cold! No hot water at all. Barely any cold water too!

I called down to the front desk and asked if there was a problem with the hot water. He offered to put me in a room with hot water. I packed up all my stuff and headed down to the front desk only to be informed that I had a choice, a smoking room or a room with hot water. Sorry, but I need both of those. The front desk clerk called the maintenance person who had already left for the day and was told that the entire row of smoking rooms didn't have hot water but didn't bother to tell anybody about it.

The front desk clerk didn't want me to check out and wasn't terribly helpful in helping me find a nearby hotel that would suit my needs. He was apologetic and mostly friendly but didn't do anything to assist. I ended up going out to my car and using my GPS to pull up nearby hotels and calling them to find availability. I checked out of City Hotel and went to a competitor.

I won't be returning to the City Hotel & Bistro.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jason S
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I just needed a place to set up base camp while I was in town visiting family and friends.
This hotel was just right. The room was clean, neat and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. The cost was already reasonable and the front desk clerk gave me an extra discount for being a AAA member when I asked for it. The free breakfast was adequate
with the usual fare and the hotel provided the daily newspaper to read along with it.This hotel did the job just right .

• Stayed November 2013