“Sub-Par for a Hilton”

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Greenville
Winston Salem
“Sub-Par for a Hilton”
Reviewed March 29, 2009

I have stayed here on many occasions strickly due to the lack of choice in the city. The furnishings in the rooms appear worn out and stained. No perks for a diamond members except a very poorly cooked buffet breakfast, I have never seen scabbled eggs so soggy. The atmospher is very dark and gloomy. You will either get a TV that has been updated or you will recieve one that is on it's last leg, good luck. The rooms are heavily sprayed with some sort of deodorizer that is breathtaking when you first enter your room. I would not stay here if there was another full service hotel in the city. I will most likely give up the full service when the new Hampton Inn is completed next door. Would I recommend this hotel to a freind? Only because I have too, No other choice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank clevbrnz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed November 11, 2008

My stay at was okay. overall it was decent for a hilton. If you are looking for a hotel with a clean bar/restaurant; this place is a negative. As i sit at the bar all comfortable eating my Ahi Tuna, i notice this couple next to me whispering... I then look over & they are quickly removing themselves from the bar from sight of a bug. Frightened of bugs, i too quickly stand up & tell the bartender. He then kills the bug with a napkin & throws it away behind the bar. Then asks me to sit back down & finish my Ahi Tuna. With such a bug near me i had no apetite to do such.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank ihuynh
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed October 9, 2008

I have been staying at the Hotel for business for over 2 months now. There were a few issues at the beginning, but the hotel has corrected everything and tried making things right as soon as I reported it. One thing I would not suggest is parking on the side of the building if you arrive or depart in the dark. The lighting on the side is poor at best and it can be scary for a person traveling alone.
Mr. Owens and Mr. Greenleaf are very good with the guests and make it a point to make your stay personal and enjoyable.

There is a restaurant onsite which is okay, a bit overpriced and slower than average service, but there is an abundance of choices within a 2 mile range of the hotel.

I would defintely stay here again, especially now that they have recognized some of the minor problems at the hotel and worked hard to get them corrected.

• Liked — Wonderful beds, bid rooms, very friendly hotel staff
  • Disliked — poor tv selection, just an okay restaurant
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank savedru2
Atlanta
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel about 20 times on business and it has never disappointed. It is clean, the rooms are spacious, staff is friendly. If you have the chance to get an upgrade or get a club floor the executive lounge has good food and free soft drinks. The beer and wife is considerably cheaper than the bar would sell it for.

The fitness center has recently had an entire renovation and is now top notch. The indoor pool is larger than average, but nothing spectacular. There is not an outdoor pool. The parking is ample and free. There is a large mall across the interstate and a wide variety of restaurants within a mile. The room service menu is pricey - watch the 18% gratuity and $2.50 delivery fee, but the food is above average for hotels.

I do want to mention that I am a Diamond level HH member so my rooms tend to be upgraded. Having said that, I have stayed nights at the last minute were I have recieved a low floor standard room and it has been very nice. It is off an interstate and does have easy access to everywhere in the upstate.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
traveler101
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Reasonably nice hotel. Friendly staff. Room service left dishes with old food stacked in the hallway for over a day.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
amiapple
Reviewed July 2, 2008

I had 6 months to plan my wedding...I knew I wanted to have my reception at The Hilton because that's where my husband's cousin had his reception and it was beautiful! Well, I worked with my planner and we decided to have it in the same room as my husband's cousin had it and we planned the menu and the layout of the room...EVERYTHING...then about 2 WEEKS before I say, “I DO!" I get a phone call saying that I can't have my reception in that room..."I'm really upset! I have 150 guest and they want to move me to a room 1/3 the size and it's not even a square a rectangular shaped room...and there is an entire wall draped in UGLY curtains! 7 FOOT CEILINGS AND 2 HUGE PILLARS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM! I couldn't fit my wedding party and family in this room! They quote un-quote “Had to move me b/c they were having a seminar for juvenile dilquents” IN MY ROOM! Hello! This is my wedding day! YOU MOVE THEM! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! So, I’m not a happy camper, instead of enjoying my last week before the wedding I have to re-do the whole layout of the reception…and instead of having just enough room I have TOO MUCH b/c we ended up having to move to the convention center next door! UGLY! They offer to give me my money back…but, where would I find another venue and hire a caterer in a week?! I WOULDN’T! I highly suggest finding some other venue to do your wedding…they were dishonest and if I could do it all over again… WOULD HAVE NEVER GONE WITH THE HILTON! HORRIBLE!

• Liked — nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank amiapple
CONCORD
Reviewed June 20, 2008

We stayed one night and so were not able to experience the amenities. The check in experience was very attentive. The staff went out of their way to welcome us and to explain the hotel amenities that were available. The room decor was very pleasant. The room and bathroom were very clean. The bed very comfortable. The hotel was quiet and this was graduation weekend at ECU. There are numerous restaurants and shopping nearby...many within walking distance. The only problem we experienced was with the air conditioner in the room. Each time the unit turned on or off it may a huge thump. At first, we thought someone had fallen into our door. So, it wasn't the best night's sleep due to this problem. If we were staying more than the one night we would have called maintenance. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would like to try it again. It was more expensive than the other hotels in the area, but you can see the difference.

• Liked — friendly staff and comfortable bed
  • Disliked — problem with a/c
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business