“Great "pause" before heading into the OBX island!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grandy
Barry's Walnut Island
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My family and I stayed over just one night at Barry's during our first trip to stay for a week in Corolla. It was the perfect location to stop- we had a three room suite for my parents, sister, and myself, my husband, our two kids and dog. The only negative feature was the noisy ac(window unit). We ate at Barry's, and the food was delicious! We also enjoyed the waterfront setting and reasonably priced room- Donna was friendly and welcoming, showed us around, and introduced us to Barry who also was quite friendly. Overall it was really a pleasant, relaxing stay and a good way to break up the drive from Jersey. I'd do it again!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Cienne K
OBXEASYRIDER, Owner at Barry's Walnut Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thanks for Visiting the Outer Banks area and we are glad you plan on returning in the future. Thanks for letting us know about the Window AC...we actually just purchased a new Split Zone system for that room that literally makes no noise at all....and it will be installed this week. We appreciate your time and effort in reviewing Barry's on Walnut Island and look forward to your return. We suggest that vacationers who rent cottages in the Corolla area leave the day before their rental is available to avoid the heavy week end summer traffic and the grid locks at the Wright Memorial Bridge..Barry's is the perfect place to stop and relax after a long drive.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

fell upon this place after driving for miles looking for somewhere to stay, called into hardy s on 158 for advice and they told,us there was a place here. me and my family have never felt so at home, welcomed and delighted with the service, price and overall feel of the place. We loved that it wasn't a chain or overpriced. It was down to earth with the true American welcome and feeling. Being british this was hard to find. The Brannigans

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband have went to barrys for past 3 years and really enjoyed it. But this year 2013 I called made reservations in july for august we drove all the way to nc from va to stay at our favorite place only to find that barrys wife took over everything n has ruined it in the ground. First she decorated the rooms all fancy n was worried about our kids messing it up 2nd we always took our dog who only weighs 2lbs n was told we couldnt have her in room. Barry has always had set rate of 58 a night now because of her fancy rooms r 75-150 a night n dnt bring kids. Who goes on vac. Without kids I mean really. Barry used to always go out of his way to make us happy now he marries this woman who has ruined his business. I will never go there again.we took kids to beach and to dennis anderson mud park and now have to drive back to va. Thanks Donna for ruining our vacation you are a real winner.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank kildee
OBXEASYRIDER, Owner at Barry's Walnut Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

You arrived at 10:30 am and wanted to take occupancy. immediately. Our posted check in time is 3 Pm...and your comment to me was the Maid let me in last year and we want the room now. We posted and went up on our rates in August this year after spending thousands of dollars upgrading the rooms to everyone's delight. The room you reserved with me was a One Queen Bed Room.. in July for $58...and I told you I would honor that rate. .I made the reservation over the phone with you personally and you told me it was for you and your husband/ two persons. I so noted on the advanced reservation card and showed it to you.
We welcome children to Barry's and many of our families do bring their kids but they tell us how many are occupying the rooms. We have to provide beds, towels, lines, ect for every person and it cost more for 5 than it does for 2.

You were insistent on only paying $58 for a room... However, you arrived with a party of 5/ 3 adults and two grown children plus a dog. Dogs are not allowed in our newly decorated rooms because of the decorations and new carpet and bedding. . My wife offered you a 3 bed room suite or two other rooms trying to accommodate the size of your party but you were insistent on only paying $58 for one room. I informed you that I would not allow 5 people and one dog to reside in one of my rooms with one queen bed and you left. I am sorry for your ratings that were totally unfair....value: we are still the least expensive motel on the mainland, the location is fantastic on our Island, the place is very clean, and our service to you was on hands , immediately when you arrived. Had you been up front at the beginning and told me you had a party of 5 plus a dog and you were arriving early at 10;30am I could have advised you of the cost involved, the availability and we would continue to have you as a good customer. I am sorry for your ill feelings.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We took a leisurely drive to the outer banks in late July and found this wonderful oasis on Google Maps. It is a perfect location stop to set you up for the next day travel to the Nags Head area, only 30 minutes down the road. Only 30 minutes travel at 9AM. This final stretch of the OBX experience has taken as much as 6 Hours in peak summer months, traffic sometime backed up form the Wright Bridge to the Virginia line. Barry's is a perfect, no-nonsense resort located on the beautiful sound side with views to make you reconsider (why should I continue to the "outer banks") when this place is just about perfect. Barry's is a mix of locals, (motorcycle enthusiasts that now consider Lipitor their drug of choice) and transients, as myself that have found a serene retreat that I will return to whenever I pass by. Food is excellent, fresh and local, drinks are well appointed and nothing is expensive. A great find, call ahead to reserve your room, or stop in for dinner, you will be very pleased you did.

Room Tip: Try the Safari room or the Pirate Room for some sleeping excitement!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Barry's Walnut Island is a great getaway spot. We stayed in the Southwestern Room (#4) and is was tastefully decorated.Very clean and comfortable. Fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The room was small but still great. We ate at the restaurant and the food and service were fantastic! Only downside - no internet. Great value!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mommacat37
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My wife and I were pleasantly surprised at how clean and comfortable our room was. We stayed in the safari room which was decorated really cool with pictures and statues of safari animals. My sister and brother-inlaw stayed in the Pirate room which was decorated real nicely and had a really nicely tiled large shower. We just stayed for one night while we were waiting to check into a house in Kill Devil Hills but it would have been fine for a longer stay. The bar/restaurant attached had some great food that hit the spot after a 14.5 hour drive from MI. The lodge is located right on the Sound for some great exploring after a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for a long getaway weekend, so relaxing, clean, and reasonable. Excellent casual atmosphere in the restaurant and Bar. Convenient to the beaches and Muddy motor sports. We had a great time, the staff and owners were very accommodating. I will be returning in the near future!!! Thank you all so much, By the way everything from app to the NY strip was awesome.... See you real soon...........!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dawnie D

Been to Barry's Walnut Island? Share your experiences!