“A tradition no more”

Mel's Diner
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Grandy
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Mel's is famous for delicious old fashioned hand crafted milkshakes customized for you in an abundance of flavor choices, our wide selections of great classic sandwiches, Mel and Flo burgers, specialty salads, home cooked dinners, kid's menu, constantly changing daily special and much more! Save room for dessert: try our hand scooped jumbo banana split! Family friendly dining at a reasonable price. Step back in time to our authentic 50's style diner. Stop in...You'll be glad you did!
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stop at Mel's each year as it is a convenient breakfast stop for us on our way from VA to Corolla. We have been doing this for so many years I cannot count, but something has changed. I am not sure if it is new ownership, but our tradition changes next year. We are so disappointed about this, but it was just that bad. We split our party and did not sit near each other, but afterwards we were both in agreement. The other table had a dead fly in their syrup and the only comment they got from the waitress was "oh gross." That was it . . . no apology, no visit from manager. It was discovered after they had used it as well . . . repulsive. We had a different waitress, and we received the same apathetic service. Inattentive and unprofessional. I know it is a difficult day to work, Saturdays during the summer, but come on - choose another job (or another day to work) if you are not up to the challenge.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Read a few good reviews on TA and thought we'd give it a try on our way home today. Place was packed and waitresses (all two of them) were hustling but the food and service was simply put, crap. Bacon was undercooked, cheese omelet had way too much cheese on it and my husbands steak was a sad joke. Too bad because the place is super cute and well decorated. Word is that Mel wants to sell the joint- says a sign on the wall. Might not be a bad idea......

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for a quick breakfast on our way home from the OBX. We really liked the exterior and interior decoration. It felt like we had traveled back in time and were in the 1950's.

The waitress gave us a friendly greeting as we entered the restaurant. When my husband ordered his omelet he explained that he could not have bread due to his gluten allergy and asked if he could sub the toast for another starch like grits. She said yes, but we would have to pay for it. That was disappointing especially since the omelet was $9. He declined the offer to pay extra for swapping his toast for grits.

My daughter ordered the kids French toast with bacon. I believe it cost about $5 and it consisted of one very small piece of bacon and one slice of French toast. She ate the bacon which was very crispy and cooked to perfection but was also ice cold. She took one bite of the French toast and said it was "yucky". I tasted it and agreed wih her.

I ordered the veggie omelet with home fries and rye toast. I specifically asked for the toast to be on the dark side. When our food arrived I didn't take much notice to my meal as I was busy getting my daughter situated. When I got to my breakfast I noticed the "toast" was really just cold stale bread with a scant amount of butter. I couldn't find the waitress at this point to ask for a refire on the toast. The omelet was edible. Nothing special and nothing really wrong with it other than it had absolutely no flavor. A little salt, pepper, and ketchup fixed that. The home fries were another story. They were very old and stale. We actually could not eat them at all. My first and only bite was spit into a napkin. I didn't know you could make potatoes taste so bad.

When we finally saw the waitress we asked for the bill and that is when she asked if there was anything we needed. We told her no and explained that the food was actually pretty bad. Her response was "oh, I'll let the cook know".

Basically this was a waste of $30 and we all left hungry. I think we could have gotten a cheaper and taster meal at the Waffle House.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

When we first went into Mel's Diner, we were standing at the front door waiting for service. We stood there for a while and there were empty tables. Then finally someone said we will be with you in a little while, that little while turned into at least 5-10 minutes. Finally someone else realized we were standing there and gave us a menu and sat us down a little while after that. The food was pretty good. Just the service wasn't that great, it could have been a lot better.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

What a great little restaurant! Great food, friendly, efficient staff and nice and clean. We make it a part of our destination when traveling to/from the Outer Banks.

Been to Mel's Diner? Share your experiences!