“Excellent!”

Torero's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 174 Restaurants in Goldsboro
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I start rating ant Mexican restaurant by three things: beans, rice and pico de gallo. That's one of my favorite meals. If the basics check out, I venture a little further out into the menu.

The beans here are good, with some melted cheese on top. The rice is good; not too soggy, not too dry. The pico is a little odd because they left out the jalapenos. As a relish, it's very good, just missing the traditional zing of jalapeno. The salsa is fairly mild with an odd twang of sage, but it's good.

I had the beef enchilada. Get it topped with cotija cheese for a little pizzaz. On another visit, I had the chile relleno. It's deep-fried in a batter and filled with cheese, not meat, just the way I like it! I'll be going back and trying something different, just because I can be assured it will be good.

This is a small chain of seven restaurants, six around Raleigh and one in Erie, PA

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Mexican Restaurant reviews fascinate me. It seems many people travel halfway across the country and "expect" to get their hometown "authentic" salsa and cheese dip. Newsflash: Everything is relative. And even Mexico is a big country. If you travel from Nuevo Laredo, to Acapulco, and then over to Merida, you will also experience a wide variety of presentations.

Okay, on to my review. I found the salsa to be thinner than I prefer, with a touch of italian taste and more cilantro than I want. But it was okay. Chips were perfect. My entree of chicken taquitos came with beans, which they brought as an appetizer. Very nice. Refried beans were quality and came with jalapeños and crumbled cotija cheese (much like feta, goat, and with a touch of parmesan taste) sprinkled on top. Loved it.

The chicken taquitos were a surprise, as well. The fried tortillas were thick and pastry like. I am used to a thinner, crispier tortilla. But it was good. And enough for two !!

I also had a taco. I expected beef, but they serve picadillo, a very nice spicy mixture of ground beef and pork, with green chilies and other spices ground in. A chorizo taste. Guacamole was standard.

The service was average and the wait was a little long, which they acknowledged as atypical and apologized for. But the food was surprising, pleasant, and very well prepared. The atmosphere is family friendly with a nice, big bar section for ESPN and cervezas. Thank goodness I went in without expectations, or I would have been disappointed.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

This is a family owned chain I think mostly in central North Carolina. I was thinking it would be a small diner when I first approached it from Johns Street, but it opened up into a sizeable restaurant with ample and diverse seating. It was a bit hectic and service a tad slow the day I was there - I soon could see why in very short order. Authentic, delicious and priced right! A great establishment for families, dining with friends and I am certain for those on the town later in the evening. The camerone a la diabla are absolutely the best I have ever had! I expected the mariachi band to come strolling through at any moment, but, alas, they remained in my head. My biggest regret is I only had one oppotunity to stop here this trip. I shall be back and whenever I am near any other Torero's you can be certain if it is close to dinner (even remotely) I will make it a point to dine with them again.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

Had not been here in quite some time. Ordered my usual enchilada and tamale. I base how good a tex mex place is based on the tamales. (oh and it is tex mex as are most places here, although some very authentic and amazing places in the county in little Latino taquerias). Main dish was very good, service was prompt and chips and salsa very tasty. Good place to take the family but this was for a quick lunch with coworkers.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Actually asked for a mexican diner from the Garmin GPS since I was in Goldsboro visiting friends. What a find. I was stuff and the meal only cost $8. The staff was very pleasant and friendly, the chips and salsa were great and the food was hot and plentiful. Not sure you could beat that combination. I would definitely recommend (and I did) to my friends that had just moved to that town.

2  Thank Hogride