“Great place for sandwiches in the Goldsboro area”
Review of Brown Bag Cafe - CLOSED

Brown Bag Cafe
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
“Great place for sandwiches in the Goldsboro area”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

One of the best places in the area for sandwiches. Not just the usual suspects from the chains, but some different ideas. Homemade potato chips definitely beat the usual french fries or chips from a bag. We had the pimento cheese sandwich with the black-bean hummus appetizer with flat bread. Think hummus that tastes like chili.

• Visited January 2013

Goldsboro, North Carolina
“Meh...”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

What southern cafe doesn't serve biscuits and gravy for breakfast?!?! In what world does that make sense? Two words--It DOESN'T!

Other than that, it was alright. My husband is sitting next to me smacking me because I am writing a "bad review" but IMHO a Southern cafe should have biscuits and gravy. Once I discovered they did not, there was almost no way to appease me. My husband really liked the place and to be fair, I would give their lunch menu a shot because man! It looked good. I just can't get over the no biscuits and gravy thing... :)

• Visited March 2012
Rhodes03, Owner at Brown Bag Cafe, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for your review! We are currently finishing up our new weekend Brunch menu and we will have biscuits & gravy. Hope your able to come back and give them a try. As you may have observed we try not to do what's ordinary and offer something different but with our new menu we are taking a modern approach on classics like the good ol' biscuits & gravy.
Goldsboro, North Carolina, United States
“Excellent lunch!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have been to Brown Bag at least 20 times over the past 2 years and have always enjoyed the food. On occasion, the service has been a bit slow but ALWAYS super friendly and accommodating. Currently they are only open for breakfast/lunch but rumor has it they are opening for dinner (w/liquor permit) after the first of the year. Their soup changes daily but if the chicken tortilla is available, I highly recommend it. Also, every sandwich I have had has been great. I especially like their Cuban. Others I have been with have said the fish tacos are great as are the flatbreads. And, the portions are very generous. I love and appreciate this place as a "non-chain" option in town. Can't say enough good about it - it is a favorite in our family!

• Visited November 2012
“Nice little quick serve restaurant”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Nice restaurant located just off the main drag in what looks at first to be a warehouse (there's a nice surprise once you go inside). My family ate here Sept. 1 coming home from myrtle and were pleasantly surprised at the quality of food. Decor is vintage service was good. No one in my party had any of the items that the Bojangles reviewer had, maybe that is a factor but I assure everyone Bojangles could never be as good as this place. I got the chipotle steak tacos...yumm!! 3 small tacos with just a little kick (I like spicy food and thought it could have been spicier but good flavor none-the-less). Dad had a pimento sandwich a la BLT (special); enjoyed it. Wife had the buffalo chicken sandwich. She said it was too spicy and then promptly ate the whole thing before I could get a bite. She usually tops out at medium on the spicy scale and she agreed it was probably medium-hot. Mom got the turkey sandwich with brie and said it was very good. All in all I give this place a solid B and we'll likely stop here next year when we pass through. Oh, Brown Bag update the website you can't read the menu hardly at all... I was squinting at it trying to remember what we all got. Other than that good job!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank formersheff
Ayden, North Carolina
“Very disappointed after reading the good reviews”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Always trying to avoid chains, tried here after reading reviews. Fish Tacos came highly recommended by the wait staff--2 small pieces of fish in a grainy raw corn taco (not flour as listed on menu), mango salsa was 2 small pieces of mango in a plastic cup. Chicken tacos also supposed to be in flour tortillas but again were presented in raw corn tacos. BBQ chicken flatbread was OK at best. My 11 year old did like his onion rings and the fried pickles were pretty good. Would not go here again. Could've eaten better and way cheaper if I'd just gone to Bojangles. Maybe I caught them on a bad day.

• Visited April 2012