“Great to be back” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glade Valley Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glade Valley
Glade Valley Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Glade Valley B&B and Inns
Nassau, New York
“Great to be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

Recently stayed again at this wonderful property. This was our third time to the Glade Valley B&B. This time we were able to stay longer and really enjoy our time at this wonderful log home without having to rush to our next destination. It was great to see Margaret and Jim again, and of course Hunter and Pumpkin. Margaret and Jim are warm, pleasant hosts and very accommodating. I think I gained 5 pounds from those wonderful breakfasts. This time we stayed in the Shenandoah room, which is so comfortable and spacious. It's great having the private porch in the front of this room to relax and enjoy the view. We also enjoyed the fire pit a couple of nights which was very relaxing. We really enjoyed the entire area from the Blue Ridge Parkway to Mt. Airy and a few other towns in between. Made it to a few of the vineyards in the area. Really enjoyed the Jones von Drehle vineyard which was less commercialized and the employees/owner were very down to earth. The wine maker even gave us an impromptu wine tour. After being out for most of the day it was great coming back to the comforts of the Glade Valley B&B. It is truly a wonderful place to stay and I look forward to getting back there later in the year. Thanks again Margaret and Jim. See you soon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

After a day of driving the Blue Ridge Trail, Glade Valley Bed and Breakfast was the perfect end to an excellent day. Jim met us in the front yard with a smile and a warm welcome. After showing us to our beautiful room, we sat down and talked for a half and hour. That evening we sat on the front porch with a beautiful scene in front of us and had a really enjoyable visit with the other guests. With a window open and a Carolina mountain breeze wafting over us we settled into our incredibly comfortable bed. Next morning Jim had a delicious breakfast waiting for us. We were genuinely sorry to have to leave after only one night. We will be back again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are really nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

We have visited this bed and breakfast twice and have had 2 wonderful experiences. Breakfast is a home-cooked Southern treat, the rooms are beautifully decorated, and the innkeepers are the sweetest, warmest people you will meet. Our favorite place by far is the wood burning fireplace-I think we could sit in front of it forever talking, playing checkers, and just relaxing. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda L
Durham, North Carolina, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

my husband and I love alleghany county and have long dreamed of having our own cabin in the mountains. we discovered the GVB&B several years ago and quickly decided that this was exactly what we wanted and we only had to pay for it when we used it!. We have celebrated anniversaries, birthdays and many a quiet weekend here, always with comfortable beds, excellent breakfasts and congenial hosts. If you want something really special rent the cabin with queen loft bedroom and woodburning stove in the kitchen. margaret will cook breakfast for you in the main house if you don't want to cook for yourself in the cabin. Is this a bustling hub of activity? no. this is a quiet relaxing place. You can take a book to the swing on the porch or one of the rockers and watch the birds fly by or pat the cat who sometimes offers himself for petting. The dog is always ready to chase balls if you need sports. Yes they have a tv and a fireplace in the communal living room and you are welcomed to use it. the hosts live in this home and are available to assist with recommendations for restaurants, sites, events etc. You might be there the weekend that sparta has its lawnmower races or you can always go to the auction house just down the road and people watch as the local residents bid on the most bizarre items. case of beef jerkey anyone? It is a hoot! Galax, Va is just up the blue ridge parkway and in summer it is a reasonable drive to the pavilion for a concert under the stars. West Jefferson is another day trip to shop the local stores. Sparta is struggling to survive but the people are resilient. Come HOME to the mountains. margaret and Jim will make you feel welcomed and not just with cookies and lemonade waiting for you in the kitchen when you check in.

Room Tip: have slept in almost all the rooms in the main house and in the cabin. NO complaints (just wish t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

When we arrived the cookies were baking in the oven and the biggest Christmas tree I've seen in anyone's home was twinkling its welcome! The setting and the house was even better than what the website described! Jim and Margaret greeted us and from then on it was just pure relaxation and enjoyment. It was very easy to reserve and is spotlessly clean. Margaret is a wonderful cook, resulting in delicious home cooked breakfast that was tantalizing visually and to the taste buds! We had the Denali room, very comfortable bed, beautiful view and a wonderful big Jacuzzi that we enjoyed! We wanted a few days of just being away from our busy life and to enjoy the mountains. Our stay at Glade Valley was the best choice we could have made, it made our getaway even more special!

We stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed touring around and took advice from our hosts about local attractions and restaurants. We are already planning our return trip!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

My mom, dad, sister and I planned a Thanksgiving trip -- and we decided to stay at Glade Valley B&B. My mom and dad are B&B veterans and immediately saw online how nice the place looked. I'm a rookie -- and I've now set the bar super high -- almost unattainable -- for the next B&B I stay in.

This place is huge, and new (about eight years old). The cabin has six guest rooms and a private cabin. The owners Jim and Margaret Connor did a lot of traveling to the National Parks so they've modeled and names the rooms after National Parks. All the rooms are great, but I think my parents got the best one. The Mauna Loa is the only room upstairs and it has vaulted ceilings, a Hawaiian theme, fireplace and a jacuzzi -- oh, and heated towels. My sister and I shared the Yellowstone Room -- since it had two twin beds.

The place is immaculate, I couldn't find a speck of dirt anywhere. It was also beautifully decorated for Christmas -- a huge tree, lots of decorations, and some very really cool quilts (Margaret made them). Beds were comfortable, you had all the amenities you needed and wanted in the bathroom.

Margaret is truly the "hostess with the mosses". She had lemonade, hot coffee and tea, even a Keurig ready to go when we arrived the first night. Oh -- and an unlimited supply of freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies. The next night -- more cookies, coffee, and a freshly baked bread.

Breakfast -- as you might imagine -- was superb. Eggs, country ham, cinnamon buns, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cinnamon buns, cheese grits, just to name a few items. Oh, did I forget to mention the cinnamon buns. A house specialty -- these things are amazing. I was on my second and headed for my third before I put on the breaks. They're not crazy sweet -- and they have so much goodness and flavor. #Amazing!

This place is also on a beautiful plot of land -- right in the mountains -- just about a mile from an entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkways. Hiking at Pilot Mountain State Park, and Hanging Rock State Park is about an hour away. Stone Mountain State Park is about five miles away. There's also Mount Airy, Dobson, and Elkin close by.

I recommend Twenty One and Main in Elkin for dinner. Exceptional food -- they have Orin Swift's The Prisoner" and a bottle of Caymus for $100. Great values. Harvest Grill at Shelton Vineyards is also a great place to eat -- though the drive is a little tough to get there.

The wineries of the region are also great places to visit.

A TripAdvisor review wouldn't be complete without mentioning Hunter. He'll greet you when you arrive and hang with you while you're outside. A great hound.

Jim and Margaret are great people -- their stories are amazing -- and their Bed & Breakfast is one-of-a-kind. Don't miss it when you plan your next trip along the Blue Ridge Parkways - or just a weekend getaway!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AltitudeAdjustment
Greensboro, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Ok. So I have never stayed at a Bed & Breakfast in my life (46 yrs). This place had raving reviews so I thought I would step out of my comfort zone and give it a try. The room was $190.00 for one night but looked nice and had a very nice sized jacuzzi in the bathroom. I thought when we first arrived that maybe i would actually enjoy my 1st experience at a B&B but it didn't take long for those feelings to diminish. I honestly just did not feel comfortable. Do you sit in your room? Do you come out and socialize? I had no idea how to feel or what to do. I made it a point to come out into the kitchen / living room area a few times so I wouldn't seem unsociable. There were 2 other couple staying there also. I never even saw 1 couple and my boyfriend and I spoke to the other couple for about 20 mins before they retired for the evening. We finally just went to our room to enjoy the fireplace and a relaxing jacuzzi bath. Well, that DID NOT happen. There was NO hot water to even fill the jacuzzi tub. The woman who owned the property did give my boyfriend a plastic bucket so he could walk back and forth to another bathroom and fill the bucket with hot water and dump it into our tub. WOW! After seeing him make about 10 trips (back and forth) and the water temperature in the tub was not heating up, I asked him to stop. I was not very happy and I thought this was ridiculous. I know for a fact that there were at least 3 other rooms unoccupied in the house but the owners never even asked if we would like to move to another room or apologize for the hot water problem. I was very disappointed so I definitely was not in the mood to get up at 8:30am to eat the breakfast the inn provided. My boyfriend did bring me a plate back to the room but the food was cold so I din't enjoy it much. I guess the good thing is we did have hot water to take a shower before we left. The owners were getting ready to go to Church at the same time we were heading out to leave the next morning. They were both standing in the kitchen and didn't hardly look our way when we were going out the front door. No, so how did you enjoy your stay? No sorry about the hot water incident. NOTHING! This topped it off for me. I can honestly say that I have never taken the time to write a review about so many of my other trips to many different places that I have visited but I did not want anyone to be fooled about the "so called" wonderful hospitality that I read about in all the other reviews before I visited this B&B. I don't think I will ever go to another one. This was NOT a good experience for us at all. Most definitely not worth the money!

Room Tip: Well, I thought I had chosen the nicest (most expensive) room at the Inn so I would say if you are t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jpstarke67
innkeeper_jim, Owner at Glade Valley Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
We are very sorry that a guest did not have a wonderful experience at our B&B. Over the past nearly 8 years there have been a very small number (perhaps 3 or 4) that expressed displeasure with their stay with us. There really is nothing that can be said about feeling personally uncomfortable. This guest requested an early check-in of 1:00 rather then the standard 3:30, which was granted. The experience did not appear to us to be uncomfortable since they never left the house. They did spend time warming up a pizza they had brought in the kitchen area. As far as the hot water situation; the gentleman did come out and said the water was not hot. We checked it and agreed. We checked the operation of the system and did not find a problem. The assumption was that some how 50 gallons of hot water was used by this guest and the tank just needed a few minutes to recover. Checking the supply in 20 minutes proved that the water was indeed hot by that time. We have 4 hot water tanks in our home and no other occupied guest room was on this same tank. We would have addressed her concerns about the water and her overall experience if she had come out for coffee or her breakfast. The lack of conversation when the guest was leaving was due to the fact that it was well past our regular check-out time and we were ourselves leaving for our Sunday Church service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glade Valley
The Doctor's Inn
The Doctor's Inn
#1 of 3 in Galax
Harmony Hill Bed & Breakfast
High Meadows Inn
High Meadows Inn
#1 of 1 in Roaring Gap

Been to Glade Valley Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!