“An Understated Location that Nicely Surprises”

Best Western Gastonia
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Gastonia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We had a great experience at this Best Western. It is surrounded by other motels and the outside does not cry out, "Stay here". However, once inside, we were warmly welcomed. Our room was large and everything worked well. The shower was great. It was extra clean and an attendant was present throughout the morning in the breakfast area. As we checked out, we were quizzed about our stay and asked to return by a friendly, smiling staff member. I wish all motels were like this one.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zola C

Reviewed May 11, 2013

If you bring your dog chances are you will be booked in a room that is a smoking room where you can smell stale cigarette smoke all night or a room that smell almost as bad as a zoo. I don't mind paying the extra $25 a day for my Pomeranian but I would expect the room to be clean and free of odors. This last stay the first room I was assigned stunk of animals and the only other room they allow pets is a smoking room. It seems they use the smoking rooms for Guest with pets . I had requested a NON Smoking room as we don't smoke but after traveling for so many hours we didn't have much choice but to stay. My dog also found a cigarette lighter and a pill on the floor by the edge of the bed . So much for their vacuuming. The bathroom ceiling is water stained . They could use new bed spreads or repair and iron what they have. Some towels appear to be stained or yellowing in areas.No more chances.We had previously stayed here without our dog and it was better but had begun to change not for the better We will stay at another hotel in the future. The front desk person was polite and try to help but could only do so much.

Room Tip: Always check the rooms first . Finding a lighter and a pill on the floor could have been dangerous t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 573carolynh
Reviewed April 6, 2013

So we are on a road trip and decided to break up our trip and catch some shut eye in Gastonia. Far enough away from Charleston that the prices are cheaper but right off the highway.

So I book the hotel on my phone once we decide where to stop. This was part of our problem booking on orbitz at 1am but I'm not faulting the hotel for this.

Arrived at 1:30 am and can't wait to jump in our bed. I explained to the front desk lady that I had booked a room for the 6th to 7th, but of course at that time of morning it should have been for the 5th to the 6th even though we arrived on the 6th.

She said that she could sort things out, but it would take her about 20 minutes to do so. Ok fine we were beat and in no shape to drive any further and changing it with orbitz would have caused us to loose the entire rate, so we patiently waited.

She proceeded to make small joke after joke about making mistakes eluding to my mess up with booking the room. After 1 hour waiting we watched her check in two walk-ins one of which was unable to rub two words together to make a sentence because he was soo drunk.

Her solution to us was a snide remark that we could 'just pay for another room', even though they already had our money and available rooms.

I have actually stayed at Best Western's all over the world with this being the worse experience. She showed no concern for our time, the fact that we were customers, or the fact that we patiently waited for her to sort out her archaic process. After hearing the rate she quoted walk-ins we found that the Marriott was the exact same rate. As we walked out her response was not I'm sorry or is there anything I can do but 'I can't cancel your reservation'.

Within 10 min we were checked in and in our room at the Marriott. I guess no reservation is worth more than a reservation, news to me!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here during a business trip in Kings Mountain. I am very mixed on how to write my review for this hotel, as I stay at Best Western quite often, and they are typically a decent chain.

PROS: The staff are friendly, they provided me with a 10% off coupon for Texas Roadhouse, which was nice, as I was hungry from traveling all day. I did have an issue with some type of animal or critter getting into the A/C unit, they were very quick to get it resolved.

There are a couple of other places to eat within walking distance and within a short drive there are plenty more. The BW is right off the freeway with a well lit sign which makes it easy to find.

CONS: Okay, I may be nit-picking on some of my negative comments, but they were inconveniences for me.

First, my rate; I booked my stay right on the BW website and with a AAA discount my rate was still $139.00 a night. I have read other reviewers comments who had a great value while staying here, unfortunately, this was not the case with me. I did bring up that the Marriott Courtyard, which sits right across the street was charging only $93.xx a night, but their comment was, "you did decide to stay here after knowing the rate". So, yes, I did decide to stay, but more for the points and my loyalty, which I don't have with the Courtyard {sigh}.

Second, their breakfast layout is not bad, but many items seemed to be a bit old. I decided to have waffles; the batter was very clumpy and it had a strange mechanical taste. I brought this up to the staff, at 1st they said no one else complained, but afterwards they tried the waffles themselves and agreed with my assessment. So, yes, they confirmed my issue, but it was just a weird confrontation.

Summary: Is this hotel worthy of being called a "Plus Executive"; I suppose, if all you need is an interior hallway to qualify, then okay. It does look dated, and can used to be updated. Just my personal opinion.

Room Tip: Avoid staying on the side next to Texas Roadhouse, as the garbage truck empty's their dumpster b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
A Best Western traveler
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Reviewed February 2, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank A Best Western traveler
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I stay here 1-2 times a month and have found that for $20-30 more per night than a motel, you get a cleaner, larger room and a breakfast. Plus it feels more secure. Would be nicer if the blankets and covers were a bit cleaner/newer, and the couches seem old and maybe a bit dirty, but overall for $65 a night, this is a good value

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 31, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gastonia
Comfort Suites
Fairfield Inn Charlotte Gastonia
Hampton Inn Charlotte - Belmont at Montcross
16 mi away
Wingate by Wyndham Charlotte Airport South/ I-77 Tyvola

Been to Best Western Gastonia? Share your experiences!