“Sigh, I expected Better”

Best Western Gastonia
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Gastonia
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here during a business trip in Kings Mountain. I am very mixed on how to write my review for this hotel, as I stay at Best Western quite often, and they are typically a decent chain.

PROS: The staff are friendly, they provided me with a 10% off coupon for Texas Roadhouse, which was nice, as I was hungry from traveling all day. I did have an issue with some type of animal or critter getting into the A/C unit, they were very quick to get it resolved.

There are a couple of other places to eat within walking distance and within a short drive there are plenty more. The BW is right off the freeway with a well lit sign which makes it easy to find.

CONS: Okay, I may be nit-picking on some of my negative comments, but they were inconveniences for me.

First, my rate; I booked my stay right on the BW website and with a AAA discount my rate was still $139.00 a night. I have read other reviewers comments who had a great value while staying here, unfortunately, this was not the case with me. I did bring up that the Marriott Courtyard, which sits right across the street was charging only $93.xx a night, but their comment was, "you did decide to stay here after knowing the rate". So, yes, I did decide to stay, but more for the points and my loyalty, which I don't have with the Courtyard {sigh}.

Second, their breakfast layout is not bad, but many items seemed to be a bit old. I decided to have waffles; the batter was very clumpy and it had a strange mechanical taste. I brought this up to the staff, at 1st they said no one else complained, but afterwards they tried the waffles themselves and agreed with my assessment. So, yes, they confirmed my issue, but it was just a weird confrontation.

Summary: Is this hotel worthy of being called a "Plus Executive"; I suppose, if all you need is an interior hallway to qualify, then okay. It does look dated, and can used to be updated. Just my personal opinion.

Room Tip: Avoid staying on the side next to Texas Roadhouse, as the garbage truck empty's their dumpster b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

A Best Western traveler
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Reviewed February 2, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank A Best Western traveler
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I stay here 1-2 times a month and have found that for $20-30 more per night than a motel, you get a cleaner, larger room and a breakfast. Plus it feels more secure. Would be nicer if the blankets and covers were a bit cleaner/newer, and the couches seem old and maybe a bit dirty, but overall for $65 a night, this is a good value

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 31, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We came from Delaware for my niece's wedding and were treated very well. Booked a room for my husband and me, and also my brother and his wife. Arrived Friday evening and check in was quick and efficient. Hotel was close to highway ( without Highway noise),and very convienent to everything. Got a good price by booking 2 nights and were very satisfied with the room, bed, breakfast, and the staff. We will be staying here again when we come to visit next time.

Room Tip: Get room on first floor. There is no elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JCel
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I'm from Ohio and came to visit family that lives in Gastonia. The front desk lady who checked us in, was very kind. She gave us directions on how to get around town. The location was very convenient because its surrounded by three restaurants.The rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast was also very nice. We will stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Theia A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gastonia
Comfort Suites
Fairfield Inn Charlotte Gastonia
Hampton Inn Charlotte - Belmont at Montcross
16 mi away
Wingate by Wyndham Charlotte Airport South/ I-77 Tyvola

Been to Best Western Gastonia? Share your experiences!