“Average BBQ at best”

Ray's Country Smokehouse-Grill
Ranked #4 of 232 Restaurants in Gastonia
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Description: We are a small Independant restaurant. We focus on good quality food for a reasonable price.We have been in business since 1960. My Father started the business when he got out of the Air Force.We are always happy to let our new customers try a sample of our food before they order it.We work very hard to try to make you feel welcome. If you come on Thursday or Friday's we have Brisket, which is smoked for 17 hours, this is a must try if you like BBQ.
Greenville, South Carolina
“Average BBQ at best”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I stopped by for lunch as we saw great reviews for this BBQ restaurant. Your not greeted when you enter and have to find your way to a table or booth. Our waitress was great and explained the selections and even brought us a sample of bbq slaw. (not our taste thanks)
I had the dry rubbed ribs and my wife had a pulled pork sandwitch. She said that she has had much better pulled pork. My ribs were tender, but the amount of dry rub was way too much. Had to scrap it off. The ribs while tender, were average at best. I have had better ribs at other bbq locations.
Would we come back here? Na, I don't think so. Too many other places to try.

• Visited March 2013

Greenville, SC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not good, not bad, just mediocre”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Ate here today Based on reviews on this site. was very disappointed! pulled pork sandwich was sort of tough. The cole slaw was gummy. My husband had the rib platter which was only ok. Best part of meal was very pleasant friendly server. Wouldn't go out of my way to come back. Actually even if I was driving by I probably wouldn't stop

1 Thank peggyb149
Raleigh, North Carolina
“The best smoked pork BBQ in North Carolina!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you want smoked pork BBQ - it's worth it to stop by. The service and food is great. I am not a fan of the NC sauces in general, but this meat was so good I didn't even need the sauce! Had full lunch with cake for $8 - can't beat that.

If you see that coconut cake sitting on the bar before you go.... make sure and order a slice to go! I say togo, because if you eat it there you are going to want to take the whole cake home with you.

DOWN HOME GOOD!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank orreo5859
Henderson, Nevada
“Hard to find this place but worth it.”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I were passing through Gastonia on our way to Charlotte looking for a place to eat. We were trusting our GPS to find something for us and it did. The businesses were out of business. We took a last stab and chose Ray's. We were sure we found it when we noticed the two big smokers chugging away in the parking lot. The food was great and the prices were reasonable for a rather eclectic eatery.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank kisakson
Copan, Honduras
“Great memories and great food”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Rays's has been in Gastonia for many years. Having been born and raised there I found , myself back home for a family Funeral. My brother invited me to have breakfast with him at Ray's, so with so many fond memories I took him up on his offer. When we got there I noticed right away that very little had changed in the 15 years since I had been there. The menu was the same and although old Ray was long gone his family and friends were clearly keeping up his traditions. As a young man I used to enjoy watching them make their famous Bar-B-Que in an old smoker painted black with wheels on it parked outside the front door. Sure enough it was still there.

As I ordered my breakfast I took one of the old chipped Coffee cups and filled it up and sure enough it was some of the best coffee I had ever tasted. Now came the big test. As a boy I used to love a fried livermush sandwich and knowing that such a gut busting combination would surely not be availible in these times. I looked the waitress right in the eye, and said, I want me a genuine Ray's fried Livermush sandwich. THe girl looked at me and smiled, and in a perfect Carolina accent she said, "comming right up!

The rest was history, I got my sandwich, it was perfect with some yella mustard and grits on the side. Yum.... I was back home for sure.

If you like real Carolina country cooking and want to meet some interesting folks then I highly reccommend Ray's County Smokehouse and Grill.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank foxcritter

Been to Ray's Country Smokehouse-Grill? Share your experiences!