“Looking for good Seafood ? THis an't it!”

AmberJack Seafood & Steaks
Ranked #14 of 238 Restaurants in Gastonia
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I like to try different and new places when we get the chance .We saw this place one day when coming back from her Aunt’s house and we decide to give it a try the next time we went out .We went there and were seated Placed out order and I mill say the service was good and the waitress and staff were friendly. The food was not all that good ,for the price I guess I was expecting to much (Could have gotten the same or better quality at a fast food Restaurant like Captain D's) Needless to say we don't intend on going back any time soon. Some may like it but don't expect too much if you go there other than a big check.

There are newer reviews for AmberJack Seafood & Steaks

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Local restaurant filled with locals every day. In an area filled with old fashioned fish restaurants this one stands above the rest. Fresh fish, not greasy, with good portion sizes. Try the sweet tea while you are there!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

We choose this restaurant based on the reviews on tripadvisor and are glad we did.
The hushpuppies are outstanding. The perch, shrimp, white fish (broiled) were very good. The crab cake needs some work, it was not up to the same standard as the other seafood. The coconut cake was the perfect finish to a great dinner.
I highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank dz_zd
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This area is known for its "fish camps". The term comes from the old days when fish were caught on the "rivah", cooked in kettles and sold on the bank. It has come a long way since then but the locals do love the fish restaurant. Amber Jacks has taken the concept a step higher with a cozy, homey environment that sells the standards with a broader menu. For lunch, you start with a free cup of homemade soup served with a large basket of hushpuppies. For $5.95 you can get lightly fried baby shrimp, two pieces of flounder, and a vegetable side (I got the sweet potato) and a cup of cole slaw. Desserts are availble for you inspection when you come in. A large case with cakes sits near the cash register. To get there you pass a large display of the "penny" candy reminescent of the good old days.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We spent the night in Gastonia, NC on the way to Wilmington, and we wanted to have dinner at a local place instead of a chain restaurant. We happened upon AmberJack, and I'm so glad that we did!

The building is quirky and fun inside and out - Very clean and well maintained. The service was excellent - Waitress was friendly, attentive, and helpful.

We started off with hushpuppies - Bite-sized, crunchy, sweet, and fabulous!!!! And a whole basket of them for the 3 of us! (2 adults, 1 child) Mixed review on the side salads - I really liked mine, and the homemade honey mustard dressing was very good. But hubby said that his salad bowl was warm, and therefore his salad was warm.

I had the broiled mahi mahi with a spinich orza side, and it was great! A large serving of flavorful fish, and the orzo totally rocked! Hubby had the steak and fried shrimp with a baked potato - His steak was large and he said it was good. The shrimp was big and crunchy - 7 year old son tried them and loved them! Son had spaghetti from the kids menu (7 year old boys are weird), and while he seemed to kind of like it, I tasted it and thought it was horrible. We will not be letting the boy order for himself anymore..

They had a dessert case that had incredible looing cakes and cheesecakes, but we were too full to try one. The waitress told us they came from Georgia - Not sure what that was supposed to mean.

Again, we were very pleased with our experience at AmberJack, and will definately go back if we ever pass through Gastonia again!