“Acceptable Accomodations, Excellent Service”

Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Gastonia
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We recently stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott while visiting family in Gastonia, NC. I am a Marriott Rewards Member; therefore we opted to stay at a Marriott property. After looking online at reviews, we chose the Courtyard by Marriott. I phoned the hotel directly the day we were traveling and spoke with a very nice lady at the front desk. I wanted 2 adjoining rooms for the first night with an option to keep both rooms or downsize to 1 room the following night. In addition, since I didn't have enough points to pay for the room, I ask for the best possible rate. Now keep in mind, I had already done my homework online and knew the AAA and Marriott Rewards Member rates. I expected her to meet those rates or better. She actually quoted a better rate than advertised. Upon arrival to the hotel, the lobby area was clean and neat. The gentleman working at the front desk immediately greeted us and checked us in in a matter of minutes. The rooms were located at the end of a hallway, which was very nice, and they were exactly what you would expect of a Marriott property - clean with the necessities and no frills. We checked the linens for bed bugs (given this seems to be a real problem these days) and found nothing, but clean sheets. The pillows were a little too soft for our tastes, however there were plenty of them. The bed was soft as well, which we didn't like; however we had an acceptable nights sleep. One of the rooms had a balcony, which was a nice benefit. The room also had a mini-fridge (which was clean and didn't smell), a coffee maker (which needed a good scrubbing!), the shower facilities were okay (plenty of hot water; however very slippery while showering - not a good thing!), adjustable thermostat (worked great - temp was very comfortable). Also, the only mirror was in the bathroom. I would have appreciated having an additional mirror in the room so that multiple occupants could get ready at the same time. The soft drinks and snacks in the lobby area were incredibly overpriced ($2 for a Reese's Cup) - yeah right, like anyone in their right mind would pay that much for a candy bar. We did enjoy the complimentary coffee in the lobby which was always fresh! Nice benefit. We ate the breakfast buffet one morning and were given a courtesy discount. I personally think the breakfast should be complimentary - like Embassy Suites; however since it wasn't the discount was nice. The breakfast was acceptable. Made to order eggs, assorted pastries, breads, cereals, fruit, juices, sausage, bacon, grits, biscuits, gravy, etc. (typical breakfast buffet items). I was going to make one of those self-serve waffles; however before I could even get the batter poured, a very sweet attendant interrupted me and said she would be happy to make the waffle for me and bring it to our table. She also kept our juice glasses filled, brought us extra bottles of water, took a few minutes to chat with us about our visit. Thoughtful customer service! The rooms seemed to be well sound-proofed/insulated as we didn't notice a lot of hallway noise. Of course, we were at the end of the hall, so that could be the reason it was so quiet. The elevators were a little slow to open and close, which I didn't like - but then again, I don't like elevators any way! LOL! Overall a decent hotel, no frills, excellent customer service, great location to restaurants, shopping, interstate, etc.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hallway are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
CLTCGGM, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

What a great review! Thank you for sharing your experience and observations. It sounds like you travel quite a bit and realize how important it is to have a clean hotel with great personalities to ensure you and your family's comfort. I'm proud to know that we met and or exceeded your expectations. I understand that Breakfast at a cost is different from most select service hotels, however, our Breakfast options and team are eager to please our guests and want you to feel at home. NO ONE likes bed bugs or the thought of them being around and we take even a potential scare very seriously and I appreciate the results of your bed investigation. Thank you again for your choice to stay with us and willingness to share your compliments. We look forward to your return whether you're coming to Gastonia, NC or just traveling through. See you soon! :)

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia

Reviewed February 26, 2012

Nice hotel, comfortable beds. We were under the impression when we booked this hotel through Hotwire, that there would be a free breakfast but no.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
00gc, General Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2017

Dear Stormy53,

Thank you for your review and we are pleased you enjoyed your overall stay with us. We truly appreciate your observations, which we will certainly share with our team for review. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back the next time that you visit our area. Thank you and please travel safely!

Olivia Popplewell

Reviewed February 15, 2012

When I am traveling 85 south toward south carolina or even atlanta, I usually stop at this hotel. It is outside of or just past charlotte n.c. The rates are always cheaper, & it is a very clean & well maintained Courtyard. It is perfect if I do not feel like driving all day. It is located off an exit where everything I need is walkable. So you can relax. they are very courteous & the rates are always better than the bigger city ones. Check it out

Room Tip: There are no bad spots for rooms that I have found. I did get the Jacuzzi suite one trip, Man that w...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed here 1 night while visiting Charlotte for a quick overnight vacation. The rooms are comfortable and very clean. There is nothing fancy about this location - just a no-frills, comfortable place to stay overnight. My only complaint is that, as with all Courtyards, the breakfast is not free.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This was an excellent hotel, typical of the high end business hotel chains. Excellent complimentary breakfast buffet with service and omelette bar (for additional cost). A charming fireplace equipped lobby area. There's a corporate gym across the highway, about one mile away, useful because the hotel gym is sparse. Very comfortable bed, excellent shower with TWO shower heads, something that must be experienced to truly appreciate. Had a walkout patio to steal a smoke late at night. Couldn't ask for much more...if I could stay at this type of place during every week's business travels, I'd be a pretty relaxed guy.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Edgetheow
Reviewed October 24, 2011

This hotel was very quiet- caught some good sleep- however my only complaint is the smell of someone who just got a perm or something when opening the room- the bed was comfy though, the location great, and the service fantastic!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I stayed here last weekend, Sept 22-24, 2011. This is a very nice and well-maintained hotel. The rooms were excellent; well laid out and comfortable. The beds slept great. Everything was very clean. The staff was friendly and professional.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gastonia
Hampton Inn Charlotte-Gastonia
Best Western Gastonia
#5 of 15 in Gastonia
Hampton Inn Charlotte - Belmont at Montcross
Hampton Inn and Suites Charlotte Airport

Been to Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia? Share your experiences!