“Best BBQ slaw”

Dining options: Takeout
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best BBQ slaw”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Absolute best BBQ sandwiches and BBQ slaw in Gastonia! Not to mention their grilled chicken sandwiches are great, also. Affordable prices and friendly staff.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Heatherly89

Paris, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best BBQ in the WORLD.”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I grew up in Mt. Holly, I remember the weekends when my family would go there to eat almost every Sat. I'm a retired Army Officer (LTC). And no matter where I was in the world my family would at least every other month go to Black's and buy me 5 lbs. and sometimes even 10 lbs. of that GREAT BBQ, and send it to me on dry ice. Even when I was in combat area's I would still get my BBQ sent to me. Once I even had a total of 40 lbs. sent to Iraq for a dinner that we had. Everyone who had a sandwich even the folks from TX, said it was by far the best BBQ they have ever had. And they would go there once they returned to the U.S. I have BBQ from some of the so called best BBQ places and even some of them have be seen on the food channel, believe they do not compare to Black's. When I do travel back to Gaston County to visit with family and friends the first place I go is Black's. And when I head out of Gastonia I make sure to stop and buy 20lbs. of the Great BBQ. My only wish is that they would sell this via internet, this way I could order each month. But I guess it's worth the wait.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank macgo27
Gastonia, North Carolina
“My favorite!!!”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I grew up in Gastonia, and have traveled all over the world...and this is STILL my favorite thing to eat!!! There is one place that is similar but it pales in comparison!! BLACK'

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank LoriReel
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Taste Test...”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have recently started working in Gaston County. I am amazed at all of the great restaurants available. BBQ in the south means pork. There are a variety of methods for sauce and cooking as well. I enjoy trying them all. One of the first places I was taken was R.O.s. I found myself craving the slaw. Of course, listening to my work associates discuss whether Blacks or R.O.s was a better I had to try Blacks as well.
I like my meat sliced not minced, but our table had a minced lover. I cannot eat bread, but Black's was accommodating and put my sliced pork on a tray. The highlight at both restaurants is the sauce/slaw/dip. OUTSTANDING at both with more of a kick at Blacks.
The meat is not smoked, it is very lean, roasted pork.
This is a cash only restaurant, but a large sandwich is only $4.99.
Looking forward to returning to either of these places soon.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank cindeeandjim
Cramerton, North Carolina
“Acquired Taste BBQ”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a local restaurant with BBQ (yes it is considered BBQ) that has been made in a way that definitely needs exposure. Quick bite to eat, it is sometimes really greasy, and it's cash only (bring at least $40 for a family of 4.) There is now an ATM in the restaurant next to the door. My family has been getting the stuff since before I was born and people on the West side of Gastonia typically LOVE this BBQ while East side of Gastonia likes R.O.'s BBQ. From what I remember, I think it's the same family but they have different ways of making their sauce, slaw and BBQ. (They mix the slaw and BBQ together.) If you like it, you LOVE it. If you don't like it, you HATE it.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank amberpack

Been to Black's Barbecue? Share your experiences!