“Staff not willing to make adjustments or correct issues - manager non responsive”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Gastonia
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed at this hotel last weekend and had several issues which were reported to the desk staff and they made little attempt to correct them. Upon check out, I was told by the desk staff that the "corporate office" didn't like it when the staff made discounts or refunds so he offered me a discount for a future stay - but it expired in 30 days. I have sent two emails to the general manager with no response. Doubt they will see me again!!!

Similar issues to previous review - no hot water, several issues with the room, fridge broken and hot, etc. It takes a lot to make me complain and this one did it.

I've stayed at this hotel in the past due to their location and reasonable rates (most of the time) - funny how they can raise the prices almost double for the same room on certain weekends there is a lot going on in town and they know they will sell out. What a way to rip off your customers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bradley T, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with our hotel. It is disheartening to hear your experience at our hotel. There are a few discrepancies that need to be addressed, first being that our “corporate office” doesn’t frown on refunds or adjustments. It is a shared goal between the property and our corporate office to make our guests happy. There are certain items that warrant a refund or adjustment and some that do not. In regards to the rate you were charged we are a business and we base rate off of supply and demand. We always strive to give the best rate in the area, but higher demand equals higher rates. I can assure you that my staffs as well as I are very responsive to our guests needs and we look forward to accommodating to you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
N.C.
Reviewed September 20, 2012

When booking this room online, because it was priced much higher than the other hotels at $199, I thought it would be something special. I thought I would treat my husband and I to something special as I normally would not spend that much on a room. We were expecting something extra nice for that price.
We arrived to the hotel and were immediately surprised thinking it just looked like a normal hotel but figured the room must be special for $225 (with tax). We got up to the room and it was just a normal sized hotel/motel room with a tiny little half wall dividing a seat from the bed.

I had to get a shower & run to the appointment we had just driven almost 3 hours for. I thought for $225 there would at least be a shower cap but the tolietries provided were the absolute bare minimum -only shampoo, conditioner and lotion, that's it. Then NO hot water comes on. I wait and wait for it to heat but nothing. I call the front desk asking why there's no hot water. She sends up the maintenance man who discovers that the handle must not be turned to hot and has to be in just the right place for it to get warm. This is a big waste of time for me & extremely stressful as I have an appointment to get to. I am in disbelief that a $225 room would have a faulty shower. I take my luke warm shower and look up in amazement that this room cost so much and notice cracks in the ceiling. Then I notice the shower fixtures have rust. No big deal but for $225 I can barely believe it. I bend down in disbelief to look closer at the rusty drain and I find a razor cap in the drain!!! it has hairs all over it! (I took a picture). I absolutely cannot believe that a $225 room has no shower cap, broken shower, rusty fixtures and a razor cap in the drain!!
One of the bedside lamps does not work.
There was a hair on a pillow that was there before we touched the pillows that was not ours.
Breakfast was stocked & fine but just standard like any room for half the price.
The pool was a tiny wading pool. For $225 I thought there'd be double curtains (the normal ones and the sheer ones) but no, there wasn't.
All of this would have been totally fine if it had been reasonably priced but I paid extra thinking it was going to be something more special then a regularly priced room that I would normally get and could have gotten. If it had been normally priced, I would have been perfectly happy. But to charge $225 is completely ridiculous and was such a disappointment. Would have even given a GOOD review if it had been REASONABLY priced! But it wasn't!

When I check out, I don't want to bother the front desk person as it's not his fault, he just works there. I decide I'll only say something if he asks but he doesn't so I decide I will just send a formal complaint to the hotel.

I get home and send one. It says I will get a response within 72 hours. I wait 8 days -nothing.
I send a second one saying I am still waiting for a response -still nothing.

I am absolutely SHOCKED that they would charge that much then ignore my complaint! Wow! I will avoid all Comfort Suites and Choice Hotel chains from now on!!
At least when I had a bad stay at LaQuinta they wrote me back profusely apologizing, sent a refund (even though I didn't even ask for one like I am in this situation). I should have just stayed at another hotel for a similar room and reasonable price. This is outrageous and unacceptable. I am disgusted and feel totally RIPPED OFF of my hard earned money.

This room should have been about $60, definitely should not have been any more than $80 or $90 at the most. I cannot believe I paid a full $225 for it. And then got ignored! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MountainMelody
Thank you for expressing your opinion of your stay at our hotel. I am sorry that you did not feel that the value was not equitable to the price you had paid. With seeing the referenced rate I automatically know that you stayed during the timeframe of the Democratic National Convention of 2012. The rate that was charged for this timeframe was off of a contract obligation to the housing authority for this event. All hotels that were selected for this event had to keep parity with the group faction on rate. In regards to the issues that you faced during your stay, I apologize. We have implemented many procedures to ensure the issues that you faced are not faced by future guests. We hope to accommodate to you in the future, and I can assure you that you will not see those rates unless there is a special event.
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have stayed here twice in the last year, once an overnight and once for a week. I just had one of our employees stay for a full month.

Our experience at this location is excellent. Our rooms have been very clean and the staff is friendly, very helpful. Everything in the hotel works flawlessly, great wireless, great breakfast.

Look forward to being there again.

Room Tip: I prefer being on an upper floor at the back of the building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank xqnsny
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at our hotel. We greatly appreciate the complementing review. You are 100% correct we are a great selection for any corporate guest. We have the best rates, easy to use high speed wireless, more workspace, and a complimentary breakfast buffet to start the day. Thanks again for the review and we look forward to accommodating to you in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I spent 1 night in this hotel and presented my AmEx card upon arrival for room chages. There was no other use of the card anywhere in NC on our travels to Atlanta. When my AmEx statement arrived at the end of the month, I learned that my AmEx account was charged for $140. at the neighboring Hampton Inn hotel for the same time period. AmEx is investigating.
Other guests have complained about their autos being broken into while staying at this place.
Stay here at your own risk and check your credit card account carefully afterwards

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Donald B
Thank you for posting a review. However, there are some gross inaccuracies in your review. There is at no point where anyone or organization would have access to your credit card information besides our staff. We take the utmost security in regards to credit card information and any breach in this security would instantaneously be noticed. I am glad to hear that you have American Express investigating this instance for your own security. In regards to cars being broke into, this is grossly inaccurate. We take the security of our guests very seriously and are very diligent to make sure that this does not happen.
Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The checkin person was exceptionally helpful and polite. Our room was exceptionally clean and had fresh carpet and paint throughout! Breakfast was wonderful - lots of selection and in spite of the hotel being full the staff made sure there was lots of food available! Would go there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DIXIEDEE42
Thank you for posting a complimenting review of our hotel. It is refreshing to hear that the staff as well as our property created a lasting experience to you. We aim to be the best and it sounds as if my staff and the hotel reached that goal. Thanks again for posting a review.
Sylva, North Carolina
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hotel was close enough to get to UNC in about 20 mins and still be in a safe area. Comfortable, clean and priced accordingly. Beds were not too firm or soft. New mattress. The sheets and comforter were clean. Bathroom was clean, curved shower rod, massage shower head, stocked well. Room had a microwave, fridge and coffee maker. Big selection of hot and cold breakfast items. Friendly front desk clerk. Restaurants are within walking distance.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank buchanan0
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your past stay with the Comfort Suites-Gastonia. We greatly appreciate the great feedback. Your review pointed out some of the many reasons we should be the hotel of choice while staying in this reason. We have a very accommodating staff, clean spacious rooms, and a nice assortment that is provided on our breakfast buffet. We look forward to your future stays with us, hopefully we see you for the first of many parents days at U.N.C.
North East, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Nice property, good weekend price.
Staff was very courteous, friendly and professional.
Would recommend this property.

Room Tip: 5th floor rooms provide good workout if using the stairs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to give a review of our hotel. It was short, sweet, and to the point. We strive to have the nicest property, at the best rate, and to have the most accommodating staff. Thank you for the review and the recommendation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gastonia
Hampton Inn Charlotte-Gastonia
Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia
Fairfield Inn Charlotte Gastonia
Best Western Gastonia
Best Western Gastonia
#4 of 15 in Gastonia
Hampton Inn Charlotte - Belmont at Montcross
Holiday Inn Express Kings Mountain

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!