“Perfect Charlotte Landing Spot”

Hampton by Hilton Charlotte-Gastonia
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Gastonia
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Between Pittsburgh and the ocean, we had a day of family fun scheduled in Charlotte and needed a nice, reasonably priced hotel for the night. If I remember right, the last time I was at this hotel it was undergoing some renovation, and the work resulted in a very clean, well decorated Hampton Inn. We got there late at night with 3 tired kids, and appreciated the fast check-in. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, and the breakfast was good. It's no gourmet feast, but you can't beat the free Hampton breakfast when you are traveling with kids. For the adults, a nice cup of "robust" coffee always starts the day out right.

The only minor negative was no cranberry juice at breakfast, but we easily overlooked that.

We weren't on top of the city attractions, but we easily jumped on the interstate and got to our destination. We will be back on our next trip through Charlotte.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank flightlessbirds
GSTNCSales, Director of Sales at Hampton by Hilton Charlotte-Gastonia, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2010

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate you coming back to our hotel since the renovations and we are glad you like it! We hope to see you and your family again soon!

Nicole - Director of Sales

Reviewed June 9, 2010

We were on our way south and needed a place to stay for the night. Called the Hilton Reservation Line around 11:30PM and checked in at the hotel around midnight. We had hoped for a king bed room, but there wasn't one left on a non-smoking floor. So we ended up with two doubles, since it was for one night we didn't care. These are the smallest double beds I have ever seen - they are really more like twin beds. The hotel has been completely renovated - and it has Hampton's newer 'urbanized' sleek contemporary lobby. Check in went smoothly, however the front desk staff was complaining about being at work, and his shift had started just a couple hours before - take it as a sign that things aren't totally great at this hotel, and there are perhaps some management issues. Before we stepped away, I have developed somewhat of a paranoia about what I like to refer to as parking lot 'mischief'. Having has my car window busted out with a brick in a hotel parking lot to steal random stuff, I tend to stay away from urban hotels, and hotels with parking lots that are far too easy to enter and exit (such as hotels that are right off an exit ramp) This hotel seemed that it might be prone to parking lot mischief - so I asked the guy at the desk about it, and sure enough - they had just had a vehicle window busted in the parking lot the night before - so he went on to say that's what he 'took care of' from 2am until the end of his shift. It was quite telling that there was broken glass in the parking lot.
The hotel is nice - but beware - there are some safety issues. In all honesty, I wouldn't stay at this hotel for more than a night or two.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
GSTNCSales, Director of Sales at Hampton by Hilton Charlotte-Gastonia, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2010

I greatly apologize for our night employee's nonchalance in discussing his work schedule with you, as this is definitely not comething you want to hear about after a long day of travelling. However, I can assure you that we have the best staff in the area! Every other staff member at our front desk has been happily employed with us for a minimum of 5 years, and we have had the same great General manager for 6 years. We have a family-like atmosphere, and our main goal is to make all of you, our guests, feel as if you are at home with us.

The majority of hotels in Gastonia are right here at our exit off of I-85. Although we rarely have a vehicle break in, this is certainly not a bad area at all. This area (at exit 20 off of new Hope Road) is actually the lowest crime area for hotels in this city. All 5 of the hotels at this exit are close to restaurants, a shopping mall, movie theatres and other fun attractions. Our hotel is certainly not exempt from crime, however, every public place can at occasionally be at risk. I am certainly glad that everything went well for you and that you experienced no problems at all.

Reviewed May 10, 2010

What a beautiful hotel with all the modern and comfortable amenities. I visited for 2 nights, and got some much needed rest. Very close to everything in gastonia and charlotte area. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Looking forward to staying another night soon.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank joelfrommartinez

Joel - I am so glad you enjoyed your weekend here! I remember that you were in town visiting family for Mother's Day and I am so glad that you were able to enjoy one of our beautiful attractions, Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. We hope that you will visit us again for your next trip to mom & dad's. - Nicole Bolt, Director of Sales

Reviewed February 26, 2010

I was in town on business for a few days and I must say the staff was very accommodating and the hotel was beautiful and very well kept. I would recommend this to anyone traveling on business.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank TripMe001
GSTNCSales, Director of Sales at Hampton by Hilton Charlotte-Gastonia, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2010

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back and see us again!

Reviewed February 2, 2010

The staff at this Hampton Inn made our stay feel like a "Home Away From Home"! We had plumbing problems and stayed here for four nights. The staff could not have been nicer!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing our hotel! We pride ourselves on our longstanding staff and I am delighted to hear that they helped you as best they could. Please come back and visit us soon!

Nicole Bolt, Director of Sales

Reviewed December 1, 2009

This is a great updated Hampton Inn. I probably would have given it 5 stars if not for a few issues and the fact it is not a "luxury" hotel. So, this is probably one of the first Hampton Inns, but it has been redone in modern decor in the lobby and in the rooms. Right off of I-85, but we did not hear the highway in our room (which did face 85).

My wife and one year old daughter had a King non-smoking room, which is what we requested. Our room was very clean, had a couch, flat screen, and nice desk area. Only issue I noticed was the cable outlet did not have a cover on it. So, we had to keep a close eye on the one year old when she went near that part of the room.

The bathroom was clean and had an updated sink area. One think that our room did not have was a shower/tub combo. It only had a nice big shower. Normally this would be a non-issue, but we always give our one year old a bath in a tub. This made bath time a little more interesting. Not sure if all rooms at this location are the same. Like I said not a big issue and if we did not have a small child I would actually prefer the shower!

Breakfast was standard Hampton Inn. Did like the "bar" type seating set-up where you could watch the news. This location had a very nice modern breakfast area.

You really will not be disappointed with this Hampton Inn. Staff was very nice, rooms great, location great.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
GSTNCSales, DIrector of Sales at Hampton by Hilton Charlotte-Gastonia, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2009

I am so glad to hear that you liked the hotel! We are very excited to know what our guests think about the new lobby and all of the updates we have implemented this year. I can not express how nice it was to read about your stay with us. If you ever come back with your little one, we will definitely get you a room with a tub. We added the stand up showers to a portion of our rooms during our last remodel. I have a small child as well and I can only imagine what bathtime was like. Thank you again, and come back to see us soon!

Nicole Bolt, Director of Sales

Reviewed November 19, 2009

Had reservations to stay here for two nights. Walked into the hotel and the lobby, reservation counter and breakfast room were under construction. No info on this when I booked my room. Breakfast area was in a meeting room which was being used for a meeting. Coffee stand was out in the hall. Canceled reservation went to another hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
GSTNCSales, Sales Manager at Hampton by Hilton Charlotte-Gastonia, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2009

We are very sorry that we did not have the opportunity to serve you during our lobby renovation. As of Friday, November 20, all renovations are complete and we are now boasting a brand new beautifully decorated lobby to compliment our brand new rooms. While renovations are tough on everyone,
updates are essential to making any hotel comfortable and functional for its guests. We can assure you that we would have no meetings in place during breakfast hours, and our meeting room (in conjunction with the additional rooms we had blocked off for guest use) actually turned out to be a spacious and quiet alternative to sitting in our lobby during this time. We hope that if you visit the area again you will come try out our brand new lobby, business center, fitness facility and room of your choice.

Nicole Bolt, Sales Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gastonia
Courtyard Charlotte Gastonia
Best Western Gastonia
#6 of 15 in Gastonia
Hampton Inn and Suites Charlotte Airport
Hampton Inn Charlotte - Belmont at Montcross

Been to Hampton by Hilton Charlotte-Gastonia? Share your experiences!