“Great beer and food”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Knightdale, North Carolina
“Great beer and food”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stopped by the Smokehouse after taking a tour of the nearby Aviator Brewery. At 6:30 on Saturday evening, the wait for a table for 2 was an hour. Luckily, we found seats at the bar where the full menu can be ordered. Although the service from the bartender was slow, the food was worth the wait. The wings were amazing! We will definitely visit again for the food and beer.

• Visited October 2013

Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
“Decent beer, worse food”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Stopped in as my 250th brewpub after hitting nearby White Rabbit. Decent selection of house beers and pretty decently done. While the place smelled great, however, the barbecue failed to deliver. I didn't really care for my ribs at all. They were burnt. How you burn slow-cooked meat is beyond me. Must finish it on the grill, or as the case was here, kill it on the grill.

Visited September 2013
North Carolina
“Best Wings....”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Located in downtown Varina, a quite downtown worth the visit if you are near the area. As you enter the door at Aviator, the smoky flavor of on site smoking pulls you in. We had a late lunch here and it was fairly busy for 2:00 in the afternoon on a week day. Our waiter recommended the BlackMamba wings (made with their black mamba stout and a kick of spice)...LOVED them. A blend of smoky, hot and a little sweet. Also had the pulled BBQ sandwich with slaw on the side. Again you could really taste the smoky flavor and really liked the BBQ used. It is a very messy sandwich, but good. Service was excellent. Love the space. High ceilings, wood plank floors, and lot's of airplane memorabilia.

• Visited October 2013
wilmington, nc
“Go for the beer”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Went to the Smokehouse with a large group after visiting the brewery. We ordered mixed apps, made up of fried pickles, hush puppies, wings and o-rings. The dish was good but not outstanding. I went on to a half rack of ribs, which was more than I could finish. Again, good but not over the top. Full disclosure: After 10 years in Texas, I'm still learning to like NC 'Que.

Aviator beer, however is among the best produced in a state with over 80 craft brewers. Go for the red ale.

And the server held her own with our large group. I'd go back if only to hoist a pint.

• Visited September 2013
Fairport, New York
“Excellent food, great family-friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We went on a Saturday night, right around 5:30 pm and were seated immediately. The hostess and our waitress were both quite friendly.

The food was excellent. I had the BlackMamba wings — the wings were cooked perfectly and the sauce was great. Tons of flavor with just enough hint of heat to keep things interesting. My wife had The Big Mash burger. The pulled pork on it was some of the best we've had. My daughter loved the homemade Mac and cheese. For sides, the fries were great, as was the Mac and cheese. The coleslaw was alright, but nothing special.

Now, you can't go to a brewpub without ordering some beer... I had a flight of four of Aviator's brews. I really enjoyed the HotRod Red Amber Ale and the Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel. The BlackMamba was also good, though not one of my favorite oatmeal stouts. The HogWild IPA was decent, but nothing too unique (I've had a lot of IPAs lately, and it didn't stand out).

Visited September 2013