“Good Mexican”

Tacos Mexico Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 79 Restaurants in Fuquay-Varina
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We moved to FV from SoCal and tried a number of Mexican restaurants in the area to find Mexican food as we were used to. We settled on Tacos Mexico. Have eaten there at least a dozen times. Service is fast, food is prepared pretty much as we accustomed to. They make their own corn tortillas. I just can't forgive any Mexican restaurant that doesn't. I mean, really, tortillas are pretty basic. Had good margaritas, some just average. Not a particular fan of the whole chips and salsa routine. Not sure when or where that started, but would never judge a restaurant solely on that. Chile rellano very good. Really appreciate any place that goes to the trouble of adding avocado slices to their entree. Sure beats that green stuff that so many places try to pass off as guacamole. Clean and comfortable. May not be a high end restaurant, but if you just want a Mexican food fix that is a steps above fast food, this is the place. Beats out all the other Mex restaurants in town by far. By the by, sister and brother live in Mexico part of the year and they said generally American Mexican is better prepared and fresher
than most restaurants they eat at in Mexico. They liked Tacos Mexico so much, ate there twice in their one week visit.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is one of my husbands and my favorite lunch and dinner spots. The food here is always great. My husband loves Mexican and we have tried about every place in town. Their Margaritas are good.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Food was quite good. Chicken was nicely spiced, rice was moist and tender, not like the dry stuff you get at most Mexican places (even though that is traditional I guess).

Facilities were adequate, but nothing special.

The only down side is that I was there on a Tuesday night, not very busy and the service seemed rather slow, including actually getting the meals themselves. However, I guess that perhaps the reason it is so good is that its not pre-prepared and thus takes longer. Waitress was definitely the "I'll leave you alone unless you call for me" type, which is not to my liking but once I figured this out was not bad.

Overall, will be going again.....

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had lunch there two days ago. I ordered the Camarones Al Mojo De Ajo, beef taquitos, pico de gallo and guacomole.

1. The Camarones Al Mojo De Ajo came out with large shrimp flayed open and the shells were still on. They were on top of a what appeared to be fried rice. Not spanish or white rice. Dribbled on top of the shrimp shells was literally -literally- several spoonfuls of minced roasted garlic right [out of the jar] from the grocery store. The shrimp and garlic were just not good. Nothing about this tasted fresh. I could not eat the rice as it was just nasty.

2. I ordered beef taquitos. They brought chicken taquitos. I decided OK I'll eat chicken taquitos, no problem. They were OK but not delicious.

3. Pico de gallo. It arrived and was made with white onions, cilantro and plenty of tomatos. Where is the final ingredient of serrano or jalapeno peppers? There was a tiny bit in there. I had to order jalapeno peppers to cut up and put into the pico de gallo.

4. Guacomole. It was just mediocre. They made it with tomato chunks which I know some people like and that's fine but there was too much tomato in there. I have always preferred guacomole with no tomatos but with diced jalapenos mixed in.

So the whole lunch was $25. Definitely not worth it. I will not be eating there again. Really, how can you mess up shrimp in garlic sauce?

Reviewed October 6, 2012

You know you can go to Tacos Mexico for a reliable meal. Very affordable and good service. I especially like the fajitas.