“Great location, comfortable, but...”

Review of Mermaid's Keep

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
neverenou...
Glenview, Illinois
“Great location, comfortable, but...”
Reviewed August 8, 2011 for a stay in June 2011
people found this review helpful

The good:

We are a family of 4 that rented this property last week of June 2011. This was our 4th time renting this home since 1997 when our boys were very young. We love the Outerbanks and came out here every few years to enjoy the sport of fishing. Every time, we felt very comfortable in this home walking distance to the beach. The deck offers amazing views of the ocean! The kitchen is well stocked, the bedrooms and bathrooms comfortable. As in the past, we felt welcomed when we got to the home. Upon arrival, a brown bag with basic starts was left on the kitchen counter such as dish soap tablet, toilet paper, soap and towel paper. This is very helpful (and nice touch) when you get here after a long ride until you can get to the grocery store. Everything at the home was in working order and we did not have to call with any complaints during our stay. Wi-fi was available and we were able to use our own laptop. Laundry on site and outside shower are a plus.

The not so good.

There are a few things that bothered us this last visit and shared this feedback in our exit survey. Due to unforseen traffic congestion we arrived after hours after a 15-hour drive. Check-in packet waited for us in a box, no problem. It became a problem when a note said that because we checked in after hours we needed to return to the office the next day before 11 am to show a picture id and a credit card for an imprint. My reservation was for 1 week (minus checkin day and checkout, I was left with 5). I did not appreciate having to come back on a small highway 13 miles to accomplish this step, taking yet more time for our 5 days remaining. I did, and was met with somewhat of an attitude when I asked the question because "it was my fault, after all, that I arrived after hours." There was no recognition of any kind that could have been a possibility...I was also asked for a credit card imprint for possible damages, even though I had prepaid $400 deposit for the same thing. Of course, I questioned the reasoning; In the end, the individual that helped me came back to say "you actually paid a deposit, so we won't need this..." No apologies. This interaction put a dent in our time off from the start because it cut into our precious 5 days. Seriously, I think the mgmt co should reconsider their processes and possibly even consider that some may go through great lengths to get to their much desired destination.

Unlike any other time we visited, fishing sucked (no fault of the home or management company, of course), but what bothered us was that the fishing pier that is within walking distance of this home was completely destroyed. Apparently it has been for couple of years, but we had no way of knowing. I think this information should be provided to the potential guests in the event proximity is an important consideration for them.

The sofas and carpet can use a wash down. Lastly, I think the cleaning expectations upon departure are unrealistic. They want you to leave everything basically close to how you found it including vacuming. So, I have to wonder how much does the cleaning crew really do? We found dishes that were wet in the cabinets and glasses that looked unwashed (that's because guests have to wash everything and put away prior to departure). Knowing that not everyone cares about cleanliness in the same mannerm I had to literally wash the dishes I was going to use for my own piece of mind and comfort level using them. I also have to wonder about blankets on beds (bring your own sheets) and if they've ever been washed because we are also asked to make the beds. I have stayed at many rentals throughout the country and basic "cleaning" expectations were to get rid of garbage and at the most sweep clean the floor -- this one though, requires more than that. I left the place impecably clean but I don't think a guest should be required to go through that lengtha at the end of a vacation.

Security deposit -- takes 45 days after your departure until it gets mailed to you. This is another thing I don't like. You have to pay for it way in advance of your vacation and then wait another couple of months after to get it. Argument is that all bills have to come in to assess if there are any other damages.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk Service
Traveling group: Family with Teenagers
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Families with teenagers
Tourists
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing