“Can't wait to go back!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frisco
Frisco Woods Campground
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Coming from Pennsylvania and having little experience camping such a long way from home, we were reluctant to stay at Frisco Woods based on the negative reviews we were finding. I eventually found a positive review here...it confirmed our decision on Frisco and we had an excellent time! Unfortunately cut short due to Hurricane Irene, we were evacuated 3 days before we planned to leave.

We had no problems with customer service - we met the owner and while he wasn't the most personable character he was fine to work with. In fact, he was the one who suggested we pay day to day to not lose out because of the possible evacuation. All staff we met were friendly and helpful. The grounds were well maintained and the bathrooms were fine as well. As someone else mentioned, you are camping after all. We took a dip in the pool which was also very clean and would be great if you had children.

We stayed on a primitive tent sight near the sound; it offered perfect views of the sound and just the right amount of shade. The grounds weren't crowded which also made it very peaceful. Was that due to the storm coming or just the week we were there, I don't know. We had a fire pit and were able to buy wood at the camp store which was stocked with anything you would need. The nearest beach access is just a short drive or bike ride away.

We also found a great gallery called Road's End while headed towards the end of the island; one of the great perks about this place was it's specialty beer selection if you're into that :) also an amazing display of a variety of art from NC artists.

I would recommend this campground to anyone, tenting, pop-up, RV... overall great experience. We will most certainly be back next summer!

Room Tip: Request to pay for your site day by day
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JAG8184

Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed here tent camping for 3 nights this weekend.....this was a first for us. A first for tent camping since we were kids, and first time at Frisco Woods. It was wonderful....we stayed in S8, which is a tent/pop up site with electric & water....right on the sound and was gorgeous. Had lots of shade, pretty private bc it's a long site. The sunsets are beautiful...we kayaked, brought a small skiff and fished, sat and drank wine and watched the sunsets. The bathrooms were fine....it IS camping, lol....they kept them clean the best they could over a busy weekend. I have no complaints. I read awful reviews about the owner, and the customer service. I spoke with Ward when we made our reservation....he was helpful and gave us exactly what we asked for. Everyone we dealt with there was very nice....good customer service. Never used the pool, but it looked nice. The bugs were NOT a problem at all, which surprised me! Do bring your own firepit, or you cannot have a fire, and that is a must :)! We can't wait to go next year and bring the kids and the dog....we loved it, and I am so glad we chose Frisco Woods! What a great deal for an OBX trip!

Room Tip: The soundfront sites are great....S8 thru S10 have nice shade.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank emstitcher
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I made reservations over the phone for a weekend trip. I was told that cancellations needed to be made 7 days prior to checkin. I cancelled my reservations 22 days prior and was told I would be charged a cancellation fee. I told the lady that I was within the 7 day window and she told me that was there policy and refused to allow me to speak with a manager or owner of campgrounds. I went back and looked online and there is a statement about cancellation fee, however, my reservation was not made online but over the phone. That information was never given to me. I was very disappointed with there customer service and rudeness to me. I will never attempt to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank militaryfamily0f4
Reviewed July 5, 2011

This is the second time I have stayed here with my 20 something girls and we had just as good a time as last year. We stayed over the 4th and the park was packed. Except for the one go-cart with the bass turned up as he was driving around at night, we never felt crowded. I read the negative reviews and cannot imagine what those folks are talking about. The bathrooms are old but as clean as they can be in a campground. The sound beaches are not as beautiful as the ocean, but it is great to have both so close. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank radstamper
Reviewed June 25, 2011

stayed once again at one of the primitive campsites with my sister and my 5 kids aged 4-14. no complaints here. pool is fun, sound is right there so the kids can play in shallow water and get hermit crabs. beach is across the street. sorry, there is no one hand-delivering your crappe-lattes tentside, but this isnt the french riviera.

Room Tip: pick what you want, primitive, rv hookup, or cabin
5  Thank FurseyOVeebee
Reviewed June 21, 2011

If you are bringing your own camper and you don't need to use many of the facilities then you will probably enjoy yourself and have little complaints. The sunset on the sound is spectacular. The campground staff doesn't ride around stalking you and telling you what you can and can't do which is nice. The pool is decent. The tent sites on the sound are pretty nice. The camper sites on the sound are even better.

The cabins are nothing more than a air conditioned room with 4 walls and a hard bed... I don't think they are cleaned between guests and I know the air conditioner filter hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. The main bath house (by the pool) is beyond filthy! It's nasty to be honest. The other 2 bath houses are nicer and worth the walk.

I'd recomment Frisco Woods to anyone bringing their own camper. For all others, all I can say this is a average campground, nothing exciting, nothing horrible except the main bathhouse.

Room Tip: Bring your own camper
3  Thank VaBeach75
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I have stayed at Frisco Woods Campground several times prior to this trip. This time we had many problems. First off we had paid for a two room cabin and they tried to put us in a one room even though we had paid extra for a two room. My cousin also got over charged and when asked why they told her they do it to everyone and she was one of the few to notice...this is disturbing. We also had trouble getting locked out of our cabin ( the doors seem to lock automatically if not adjusted) and when we went to the office to ask for a key were yelled at and scolded and the owner took away one pair of our keys. Why we got treated like young children I do not know but I am very unsatisfied with this facility. The owner constantly drove by on his golf cart and gave me dirty looks making me feel very uncomfortable. Overall the campground is very nice but the management here, specifically the owner will make us not want to return again.

Room Tip: avoid owner he is rude and unkind
8  Thank nla289
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frisco
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
Cape Pines Motel
Cape Pines Motel
#2 of 6 in Buxton
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel

Been to Frisco Woods Campground? Share your experiences!