“10 adults, 2 young children and 5 dogs had the best vacation ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bates Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Franklin
Bates Cabins
Ft. Walton Beach, FL
“10 adults, 2 young children and 5 dogs had the best vacation ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

I chose this cabin in March after extensively searching and researching available cabins in the area. I was planning our family vacation - 12 family members and our dogs - and I wanted it to be perfect. Everything on the internet sounded good, the pictures looked promising, and the reveiws I found were positive. So I booked cabin #5, Archer's Laire, exchanged a few emails with the owner asking specific questions, paid our deposit, and waited for November. When it finally came, I was nervous - it's hard to please 12 people! And what if our dogs got lost in the woods, or ran out into the road? What if the cabin or the location was too dangerous for our youngest family members? Or navigating to the upstairs bedrooms too strenuous for our oldest family members? As it turned out, we didn't have a thing to worry about. The cabin was perfect - more beautiful than the pictures, remote, high up on the mountain away from any roads or traffic, excluded, quiet and scenic. The enclosed deck and baby gates around the cabin kept everyone safe. The outdoor hot tub was charming. The fireplace warmed the house and our hearts. The huge kitchen, dining area and seating area accomodated us all easily. The firepit outside kept us huddled together against the cold, watching the sparkling stars while singing old songs. Our dogs could roam outside with us, but they could also run around our feet when we were inside without hurting the beautiful floor. And if we were leaving for a few hours, the cabin is laid out so it was easy and safe to leave them behind a gate until we returned. Every activity we planned, with recommendations from the owner, were fantastically memorable. I know I'm forgetting something, but mark my words, the place was fantastic. Now here are the negative points: there is another cabin about 100 feet away from cabin #5. So if you really want to be away from everyone, you won't be if that cabin is occupied. And the drive up to the cabin is a little scary the first time. It's steep with multiple switchbacks. The positive - you are really REALLY high up on the mountain with a fantastic view of the valley below. So will we be back? I hope so! I highly recommend this cabin to anyone looking to get away to the beautiful mountains of North Carolina.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank paulapie

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

We rented Cabin #1 for my husband's 50th birthday. Our adult daughter, mother-in-law, sister-in-law and her family came for part of the trip. We had a blast having our own private "mining" on-site. The cabin was beautiful and worked well for multiple family-groups. The birthday cake waiting for us in the refrigerator was a nice surprise & touch! Carl's son was on-the-spot when the flume pump needed to be repaired and was extremely friendly and helpful the entire stay. We had campfires several evenings that soothed my soul - I highly recommend it! Not being "rock-hounds" made it difficult to know if we were finding good stuff - I think for future trips I would consider trying to hire one of the local lapidary folks for an hour at the beginning and end of the trip for some expert guidance on-site. Overall - a definite WINNER for a vacation. Already have friends who are planning on a trip down next spring! Oh yeah - the neighbor in the white minivan/SUV is a PITA - ignore him!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank LetsGoNow2010
Clearwater
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed for a week this past June in this cabin. It truly does have everything. The beds were comfortable, great view and the furnishings were top notch. The kitchen is one of the nicest we have ever used and was well stocked with everything you can think of. One thing of note, its wise to have at least a rear wheel drive car with the minimum of a V6 to make the trip up from the main road. The road itself is quite steep in places. We would definitely stay here again !!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BilgeRats
Holly Springs, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2008

We absolutely loved the cabin. We stayed in "H" and were amazed at how beautiful and clean it was. We felt right at home. We had four kids and a dog with us and they had a blast. They aren't kidding when then say they provide everything. The only complaint I could have was how high on the mountain it was.... a little scary in the rain. We would go back in a heartbeat.

• Liked — The cabin was beautiful
  • Disliked — the height
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family