“Not impressed...”

Fat Buddies Ribs & BBQ
Ranked #8 of 88 Restaurants in Franklin
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Not impressed...”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were hungry for BBQ after an adventurous day. We ordered a "slab" of baby back ribs ($15.99), a pound of sliced pork ($10.99) and a pint of beans ($3.00) to go. Prices seemed fair compared to other BBQ restaurants we visit. The cashier said our order would be ready in about 10-15 minutes. No problem. They were a little busy.

Order was ready in about 10 minutes. Great, we were starving and with a name like Fat Buddies Ribs & BBQ, the three of us were looking forward to eating the "slab' of ribs. We usually get a slab at Sonny's BBQ and have leftovers the next day.

We head back to our cabin rental and on the way I decide to peek at the ribs. What are those??? Riblets, maybe. They must of given me the wrong order. The slab of ribs were the smallest I have ever seen in my life. These looked like an appetizer in a kid's meal. I called the restaurant and spoke to a manager and he offered to give me an additional slab. So back I went to get the extra "slab".

An elderly greeted me at the cashier area and asked to see the "slab' of ribs I was given. She informed me that they were indeed a full slab of their ribs and they have been selling them for 14 years. Wow!!! My 90lb teenage daughter could easily eat two slabs herself and there are three hungry mouths to feed back at the cabin.

The manager personally delivers my extra "slab" and hand them to me. Didn't say a word.

I get back to the cabin and my wife opens the ribs. "What are these???" I thought we were getting a slab of ribs. I wish I would have taken a pic. The ribs were about 3/8 of an inch thick at the thickest and they were less than 3 inches wide and 10 inches long.

The girls decide the guys can have the ribs and they would eat the pork.

Food Review:

Ribs: taste was average, a little tough mainly due to the membrane not being removed, not fall off the bone tender like described. Very little meat to fall of the bone. Fair price would be $7.99.

Sliced Pork: taste was good, lean and tender. Good value.

BBQ sauce: Very good. Sweet with a hint of vinegar.

Beans: Too sweet. All wished they tasted like the sauce. Very small size bean. Strange texture.

We went to Fatz Cafe a few days earlier and our 19 year old son had the lunch portion (1/2 rack) of their ribs. They were excellent and he shared his leftovers, because he could eat them all. Only $7.99 for the ribs, large portion of fries and all you can eat rolls.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great BBQ”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our last night in Franklin NC and we wanted to have local BBQ . Would not have went here had we not had recommendations from the hotel and a local person at our conference. It is in the middle ( or corner) of a strip mall and easy to pass by. But don't !!! It was the best BBQ. Wait staff was friendly decor was NASCAR (fun!). The food was fall off the bone melt in your mouth good! My husband had the ribs. At first ordered a half rack, but it was so good he ordered another half. I had the chicken. Dessert ..... don't miss the cobbler or the chocolate pecan pie!

Anderson, South Carolina
“Very tasty”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Having read the other reviews about this restaurant we decided that we would try it. It was well worth the visit. My wife and I both had the pulled pork BBQ. It had a smokey flavor and was delicious. There was sauce at the table that could be added. It would give the BBQ a very sweet taste. I preferred it without any sauce. I had cole slaw and French fries with the BBQ. The FF's were crisp and had a good taste. I also enjoyed the slaw. The price for one of our meals was $11.99. We went away quite satisfied.

“Our favorite”
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

When in the area this is our favorite place. Ribs are mouth watering good. I always get two slabs. Everything including the service is great. If in the area please treat yourself to some Fat Buddies.

• Visited July 2013
Cumming, Georgia
“Wonderful place for BBQ..”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Franklin seems to have a lot of BBQ spots.. First time there, and this one was recommended by a fellow traveler.. Fried okra a staple of southern cuisine was not on the menu, but was quickly served up along with a nice BBQ sandwich.. Very attentive staff.. Excellent interior for any Nascar fan.. Lots of older pictures of drivers when it used to be the Winston Cup..

In the back there's a changing station for parents with small children.. Excellent value all around.. If I'm back in Franklin.. I'll be back to Fat Buddies!

• Visited July 2013