“Very nice place”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Franklin
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Very nice place”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We spent a night here in April 2012 and were pleasantly surprised. For this kind of money ($60) we usually get a basic room and basic service.

Upon arrival the general manager gave us a map of the area and some tips for spending our time in Franklin. She also upgraded us to a bigger room, since there were very few people staying there at the time.

The hotel looks nice form the outside, a bit vintage and colourful, like it could be on route 66. The rooms are very clean and quite spacious. I would defenitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank s1llybunnyrabb1t

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Huron, Ohio
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Our family booked their large(six person) cabin for three days in August. The cabin was nice and roomy. It was clean, but there were mice droppings in the cupboards, on the toaster, and on some spots on the floor. There was a mouse trap behind the microwave. We didn't complain. We just figured that was the norm in the mountains. The cleaning staff did an amazing job everyday, even changing our sheets on day two. We paid $200 per night. There was a nice front porch which we sat on nightly and in the mornings. The windows didn't lock and it was obviously they were older. The window in the bathroom didn't have any trim. The two bedrooms were nice and large and comfy. The free continental breakfast located at the main hotel was not good. They offered bagels, french toast, cereal. Both toasters didn't seem to work very well. They didn't have any real butter. They offered high sugar yogurt. So, we only did the free breakfast the one day. We ate out for breakfast the other days. All in all, the place was pretty good, but for the money we spent per night, I will look to an actual cabin somewhere else in Franklin.

Room Tip: If you do choose one of two of their cabins, definately pick the larger one(6 person). The four per...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mollyhatchet3120
debbiedrake, General Manager at Carolina Motel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you so much on your recent review of our hotel.

We were very fortunate to recently have you and your family as guests in our (2) bedroom log cabin. This is actually a real log cabin with 1200 sq. feet of space with central heat & ac. This cabin has real cedar logs inside & out. This may attribute to the fact that you have brought up about the bathroom window. We recently installed new bathroom shower stalls and they had to be cut out so it only left the window and the window sill. You have brought a great issue to my attention about the window locks. New brass lock were installed last year, however, the style of the window being older I can see how many people would not understand how they function. The windows can be opened from the top or the bottom, many guests love to open the windows at night for the fresh mountain air. I have compiled a simple instruction sheet for guests to refer to while staying in the cabin.
We do offer many other amenities with our cabins that you have mentioned. Continental breakfast, daily maid service and a beautiful eleven (11) foot deep pool on the hotel property.
If you do not wish to use the kitchen in your cabin we offer continental breakfast in the lobby every morning. It is difficult to meet everyone's desires and dietary needs. Most guests prefer low fat butter substituties and low fat milk. We do provide sugar free items upon request with approppriate notice. We do offer Land of Lakes butter substitute and Yoplait yogurt. Breakfast consists of 2 cereals, milk, OJ, coffee, tea, Sara Lee blueberry or banana nut muffins, French toast, bagels, Yoplait yogurt, Dole fruit cups, fresh fruit, bananas, apples & oranges. Philly cream cheese, Smuckers surup, grape or strawberry jellies. Most of our guest do find this adequate for a continental breakfast. I have purchased a new toaster, the second toaster if fairly new but I do agree with you, that it is a very poor design. I would especially like to thank you for recognizing our housekeeping staff they do a terrific job and help us to maintain our (100%) sanitation score. You are correct about the mice being an on going problem in the mountains, however, I have increased inspections of the cabins. This is something that you should not have been subjected to. Again I would like to thank you so much, these reviews help us to learn our weak points as well as our strong ones.

Debbie Drake/ General Manager
Carrollton, Georgia
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My title says it all...Well most of it! Seriously y'all! I am NOT a prude or expect the Ritz, but this hotel to me should be JUST for truckers! The grounds are clean and the hotel LOOKS great from the road, but the rooms are SO outdated and so cheap! We did not have to stay the two night minimum so I do not know why others were made to stay. We stayed in one of the rooms to the very right hand side. The smell of must about knocked me over when we opened the door.! The bed was horrible, and yes there was bed bugs and ants in the bed and in the room. We had to sleep with the back window open due to the smell. The carpet was so nasty I never took my shoes off and husband walked around in socks!
If you read my other reviews you will see that I am not picky at all, but do expect good accommodations for the price I am paying!! If I were you, I would fine something comparable in the area or spend alittle more. I only wrote this review to warn others! I wasn't going to write one at all. Momma always told me if you can't say anything nice......Well thought in this case I should!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BenjaminWife
As manager of the Carolina Motel I am shocked by your review.

I would very much like for you to contact me personally so I can verifity your stay with us. The only conclusion that I can come to, is that you did not stay at the Carolina Motel. Perhaps, you have us confused with another property in Franklin.

1) Our sanitation score is 100% which we receive from the Macon County Department of Health. To the best of my knowledge we are the only hotel in Franklin, N.C. with this score!!!!!!

2) You have stated that you stayed in a room to the very right hand side. Our hotel is L shaped and there are only rooms to one side of our all glass enclosed lobby.

3) All of the beds in our hotel are new Sealy Posterpedic beds. Dozens of guests have called to request the make and brand name so they can purchase them.

4) We do NOT have bedbugs or ants.

5) We shampoo the carpets on a regular basis and whenever needed. These records are available for review.

6) The last time I stayed at a Ritz-Carlton property I paid over $500.00 per night, it was more luxuroius but not any cleaner than our hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Debbie Drake/ General Manager
Jonesboro, Georgia
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Amazed at how clean the room was! Contenintal breakfast was descent,included french toast, fruit, muffins, cereal, yogurt.... One thing that struck me odd was the pool does not have stairs, just a ladder in the 4 foot and one on the 11 foot side. I'd stay here again though.... in the winter when pool doesn't matter...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank WeazelATLien
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The Carolina Motel is nice enough - certainly not luxurious, and perhaps a bit shabby in regard to furnishings, but a convenient location, plus large, clean room with cross-ventilation and front-door parking made up for much. There were helpful maps of Franklin and the surrounding area available at the front desk. A nice young man met me there initially and checked me in when I stayed here for two nights while on vacation in mid-June.

However: I had assumed that my reserved room would include the pictured refrigerator and microwave I saw on the motel's own website - however, neither amenity was to be found in the room I was first given. As I was traveling, I had food with me that needed refrigeration, so I went back to registration to inquire.

I was told by Debbie, the manager, that I had been given the room I'd requested, and that if I wanted the microwave and fridge, I should have indicated as much when I made my (telephoned) reservation.

I was also asked if I'd used the bathroom in the room I first saw - evidently I would have had to spend more than a penny had I done so!

I had to ask if I could upgrade to a room which was fully supplied (no one suggested this or offered to upgrade me) - and was told yes, but that it would cost me more. I asked if there was a discount for government employees or for seniors: there was not, for either category.

I also pointed out (as politely as I could) that their website was misleading, and that had I known that the less costly room did not include what I needed, I would have originally reserved the other room (actually, I expect I would have gone elsewhere) but Debbie (again, Debbie!) clearly didn't care for my statement and became quite defensive in response. However, she did upgrade me - for a price. To the nice, large, clean but shabby and inadequately lit room, where the small microwave sat precariously atop a small pedestal table that swayed each time I used the appliance. The wall-to-wall carpet seemed clean enough, but was worn here and there and its dark color didn't make the room any lighter.

The room would have been lighter had I opened the curtains across the large picture window, but as the motel's front porch and walkway were immediately outside, that would have exposed my room - and me - to all passers-by, an unfortunate but unavoidable architectural "bonus" of the classic 1950s motel style. Thin privacy curtains which admit light but obscure the inner view would have been nice. However, there were an unexpected nice small antique tea table and a comfortable sofa with throw cushions, which added a homelike touch.

A small clothes rack was attached be a problem, surely some plastic or lightweight metal coathangers would not be a major expense, and would be a true service to guests.

But before I got to my new room, while a nice young man was rather apologetically checking me in, Debbie received a phone call from someone she obviously knew. "Oh, hi...yeah. (pause) Yeah, really obnoxious". Now, I have no idea if she was talking about me or someone or something else, but it surely didn't make me feel any more welcome.

The next morning, I decided I was probably being overly sensitive and that surely Debbie's comment couldn't have been about me. So I gave it another try and headed out to see what the free breakfast included.

Sweet rolls, juice, coffee - bananas and apples - perhaps a few other items, but that's what I recall. I don't drink coffee, but saw no tea or milk. The sweet rolls looked a bit stale and sugary. I already had juice in my hard-won refrigerator. So I took a banana back to my room, made oatmeal in the microwave, ditto hot chocolate, and wound up with a good breakfast, mostly of my own contriving.

I had a very nice time in Franklin, a lovely little town in a spectacular setting. I had no more encounters with Debbie, and the other desk personnel seemed appropriately friendly and professional. I again made breakfast in my room on the second morning, and my check-out went smoothly and quickly - I was assisted by another young man, whom I had not met previously.

So it was a very mixed bag. Next time I'm in Franklin, a very pretty small town in a stunningly beautiful mountain setting, I think I'll opt for the known quality of a good chain facility with a clear online description of their rooms and policies, or go to a B and B.

In either case, I'd expect to be welcomed by the hosts rather than encounter defensiveness and seeming resentment.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Chlbn28
Dandridge, Tennessee
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The place was spotless!....The pool, ect was great. Had very friendly staff. Was very friendly when answering our questions about the area. Check in was very easy. Would most defiently stay here again and would recommend them to our friends.

Room Tip: Although it is an older motel....the rooms had been updated. The A/C works great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leslie L
Moscow, Ontario
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This isn't a fancy place. But it's clean, and has great rates. Excellent mex restaurant across the road.

It's an older place, well kept. The staff were pleasant, and very helpful.

Liked it so much we stayed there two nights instead of the originally planned single night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Drif10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franklin
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Franklin
#6 of 12 in Franklin
Skyline Lodge and Restaurant
Best Western Plus River Escape Inn & Suites
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Sylva Dillsboro Area

Been to Carolina Motel? Share your experiences!