“Clean and convenient”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Franklin
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Franklin
Reviewed October 4, 2009

We stayed here for four nights during our hiking, sight-seeing, gem mining trip to the area. The front desk staff could have been nicer, the juices at breakfast tasted old and sour and the small dining area was very uncomfortable but.....our room was always clean and we had plenty of fresh towels. The beds were soft and comfortable especially after long days in the outdoors. There were many places to eat within a mile of the hotel and easy access to the highway. Since the room is actually what we paid for, and the negatives in this review could be easily corrected, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009

Reviewed June 27, 2009

It isn't called "Microtel" for nothing, as the room was pretty small, but perfectly adequate. I had wanted a king bed in a no-smoking room, but none were available, so we got two queen beds, instead. The beds were great! Thick, plush, pillowtop mattresses, with high-quality sheets.

We were originally scheduled to go in one of their renovated rooms, but it overlooked the restaurant next door, and we asked for one with a view. The hostess hesitated, as she said that the room hadn't been renovated yet, but would still be fine. It was. I was suprised; I had expected it to be dumpy, but it was very neat and clean. It was small, with no dresser in the room, though it had two drawers underneath the bench seat under the window and a built-in desk for our laptop. There was only a small area in the bathroom, from the sink edge to over the toilet, for toiletries. However, there was plenty of room under the sink for my cosmetic case.

The overall decor was modern, and spare. White walls. The only color came from the strips of tannish cloth laid across the foot of the beds for decoration, and the two matching throw pillows on the bed. The TV was on top of the closet. The renovated rooms have much larger TVS, but my husband and I don't get hung up on stuff like that. We are adaptable.

The hostess said they can only renovate 10 rooms at a time. The new rooms have bigger TVs and new wallpaper and paint, and new desktops and countertops in the bathrooms.

The bathroom was fairly large for a budget motel. Everything was very clean. The only thing I noticed was that wallpaper was peeling a bit, over the window, but with the curtain closed, one couldn't see it.

The continental breakfast was very good--bagels, three types of cereal, English muffins, sausage biscuits, and canned fruit. They serve fresh made waffles some of the time, but not when we were there. I suspect they serve waffles on weekends. We were there on Monday and Tuesday.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. We thought we got a good deal on the room, for $82, considering we were in a resort town. We would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BonnieT
Reviewed December 1, 2008

We enjoyed staying at the Microtel in Franklin. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. When I told the lady at the front desk that we were in Franklin for gem mining, she gave me a packet with maps and information on where to go to look for gems. The breakfast was very good and the view from the window was nice. We were a little concerned at first that there were Go-Karts across the street at The Factory, but they were impossible to hear from our room and weren't obtrusive at all. The Microtel is also within walking distance of an amazing place to have lunch--the Fatz Cafe. Definitely recommended. Aside from the reasonable rates, one of the most awesome things about the Microtel is the gazebo! What could be better than sitting out in a gazebo on a lovely, cool evening in Franklin, NC? So if you're going to Franklin, the gem-mining capital of the world, consider staying at the Microtel--because it truly is a little gem!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gemtrotter
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Hello, As a Pilot I travel quite a bit. This is the worst place I have ever stayed in. I will start with the positive.
1. It is centrally located
2. The outside grounds are neat
3. If you have a pet they are pet friendly. I hope all pet owners do not have to routinely stay in places like this!
4. The windows open for fresh air, and you will be glad they do.
Now on to what really matters.
1. The carpets everywhere are filthy and have obvious stains on them.
2. The Hotel has a strong disturbing sweet smell to it...very bothersome.
3. The TV's are very small, 19 -20 inches, placed high, almost touching the ceiling and poor reception, almost like what one would expect with rabbit ears.
4. The beds are horrible. VERY soft and you cannot turn over well at all. Like sleeping in "Jello" describes it best, and the rooms are all white and cold in appearance.
5. No space in the bathroom for toiletries. If you travel with someone they will need to put theirs on the back of the toilet or the desk in the room.
6. The nightlight in the bathroom is useless.
7. The breakfast area is SMALL. Only room for 6 people and the two tables are set up around a corner in a little alcove, like an afterthought. No effort at all is made in making a pleasant area to eat in. It's like they are thinking, "ok, we have to feed you, go sit in this closet and eat". The English Muffins were hard as a rock, and I would be embarassed to offer my guests the sausage biscuits.
8. The front desk staff appearance is anything but professional.
9. This place is WAY overpriced. If you stay here, you will pay too much, be under serviced in everyway possible, and probably have someone be rude to you.
10. Upon checking in, I had a couple issues with my room which I immediately addressed with the general manager. Her attitude was one of "so what". I have never expierenced the level of unprofessionalism as I did here. I let it go, but when I have time I will write the Microtel Corporation, the Chamber of Commerce in Franklin and The Better Business Bureau. Yes, it was that bad. Thankfully I only had to stay here two nights.
If I could give this place a 1/2 star I would have. I am just glad my wife was not with me! Do yourself a favor and check around the area for a better place to stay, and that would be anywhere. If you stay here, do NOT expect much.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Overall, this was a pleasant surprise. The rooms show their age (maybe because everything is white) and the continental breakfast is truly continental (pastry, coffee, juice) but the rooms were clean and the staff was great, willing to accommodate special needs, and helpful in finding restaurants, etc.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank dwinsc
Reviewed March 19, 2007

The management must have read prior reviews. The place was clean--room and linens--the room secure, and the staff pleasant and helpful.
It's a Microtel, not a 5 star resort afterall: rooms are small, but comfortable; the price is reasonable and the value is good. Rooms on the south side offer a mountain view.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank schoenecken
Reviewed October 25, 2006

The bed sheets were dirty. The manager said I was lying .The manager did not want to honor my conformation price for the room. TERRIBLE place............

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franklin
Comfort Inn
13 mi away
Knights Inn Dillard
Knights Inn Dillard
#3 of 3 in Dillard

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Franklin? Share your experiences!