“Relaxing”
Review of Rose Creek Mine

Rose Creek Mine
Ranked #2 of 35 things to do in Franklin
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Choose this mine from several others because of some reviews. It's very easy to find and you are greeted by the owners daughter and she could not have been more pleasant unassuming and helpful and explained the process extremely well. It's a small family operation and very low key and so much fun. After you find your treasures,the daughter and wife identify our stones and bag hem up in separate bags with identifying names and tell you if they can be made into jewelry pieces. They are very knowledgeable and have a nice gift shop. It was a cool day and most enjoyable. We to a $50.00 bucket or 3 people and it took about an hour to go through the bucket. We were assured to find stones and we did. There are several options including dig your own dirt to go through. Most enjoyable afternoon

1  Thank Clemson1973
There are newer reviews for Rose Creek Mine

Reviewed May 5, 2014

My wife and I visited the mine in April of 2014. The owner, Tom, was extremely knowledgeable about the area and gems. He was very helpful as this was my wife's first time gem mining. He spent considerable time showing her the ins and outs of gem mining and also helped her find and identify gems. The whole experience was just great, and as his web page warned, my wife is now addicted. Very glad we stopped there.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Not true that they don't salt their dirt. They do, so you get what they put in basically. It's just with a twist, they bring dirt into an area up front and then have you 'dig' from that pile.

5  Thank Billmcse
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I had never been gem mining, but chose to try it at this mine based on tripadvisor reviews and the recommendation from our host where we were staying. We had a great time and found many garnets, plus several rubies, sapphires, quartz, and 1 topaz. The lady who checked my finds said the ruby I found would be beautiful if cut. She said almost any of my finds could be cut, but the ruby was the most perfect candidate. My husband and I were both really surprised we found the rubies and sapphires, since they just looked like regular old rocks. I was most excited when I found the amethyst, which they said was a type of quartz, because it was so big and beautiful lying there surrounded by all the dirt and clay. Some of the other miners who were there at the same time as us found bits of Cherokee pottery, and Tom, the owner, said someone had found two Civil War bullets earlier in the day. Anyway, the folks who run the mine were all very nice and helpful. They continued to come around and check on us to see if we had any questions while we were mining our buckets. While we didn't actually visit any other mines, we visited many of the mine websites and checked prices- Rose Creek was one of the lowest priced for native mining, which is what we were interested in. That was another big deciding factor in our choice! If you are going mining for the first time, please be aware that you WILL get dirty and possibly wet, especially if you happen to be sitting next to an exuberant child! We were vaguely aware of this fact and dressed in clothes we didn't mind getting messy, but I had only brought white tennis shoes on our trip so those got pretty muddy. We saw another couple there dressed pretty nicely (nice cardigan and khaki pants, etc.) for working with dirt, so I thought I'd emphasize the messy factor in case others haven't considered how to dress. One more thing- be sure to check out the jewelry in the case at the cash register. There are some beautiful rings and pendants made by artisans at great prices.

6  Thank kats4098
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We got to get our own dirt that had been brought up from the creek bed and it had not had anything added to it. the man who ran the mine helped us and was at our side telling us and showing us what to look for. Afterward he identified and labeled everything we found. He was very knowledgeable and informed us about the history of the mining in the area. We learned alot and had a great time! We visited three mines and this one was the best.

2  Thank Melissa H