“Kids' enjoyment is the true treasure”
Review of Rose Creek Mine

Rose Creek Mine
Ranked #2 of 38 things to do in Franklin
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Our gem mining expedition consisted of my parents, brother, sister-in-law, niece, husband, our two kids, and me. The kids (a 12 year old and two 8 year olds) enjoyed it the most. By the way, be sure to wear clothes and shoes that you wouldn't mind getting dirty / muddy or can throw away.

The mine is easy to find and has ample space for parking. It is in a pretty and wooded area. The BEST thing about this mine is the very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable staff. Even the dogs and cats who hang around the mine were laid-back and didn't mind all the kids petting them.

You can choose to dig your own dirt and fill your own bucket, called the "native" bucket. Or, you can choose to pay for a "seeded" or "salted" bucket which already has the stones in them. I chose to use "native" dirt at first and it was frustrating hard work because I barely found anything. I switched to a "seeded" bucket and of course, immediately came across many pretty stones.

After you're done washing and collecting your stones at the flume, then the staff will identify and bag the stones for you and even write the names of the stones on the bags. It is fascinating to hear all about the stones; you will usually come away with rubies, sapphires, emeralds, garnets, amethysts, etc. that make good souvenirs.

The mine has a bathroom up the hill and a place to wash your shoes. It looked like there was a picnic area as well, but we did not eat here. Overall, this was a good mine to visit.

Full disclosure, I have decided that gem mining is not really my thing (too muddy and too much hard work on vacation); although at least now I can say I have had the experience. The most important thing is that the kids had a great time, which is what I will treasure most about this place.

All reviews
in 24 reviews
"amethyst"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is truely worth the drive to stay in their lil cabins, but it is great for a small family with kids. couldnt have asked for a better place to stay.

1  Thank Tarheelnite
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My famly and I visited this mine in July 2012. I chose to dig my own here. The clay from the dig tunnel was somewhat of a sticky pain to deal with here making the rocks somewhat more difficult to wash. My finds were somewhat slim however I did find some good rubies, sappires and actually, a piece of amitrine. The finds in the $75 enriched buckets were great. You can run a tab for your buckets which is nice especially when digging in the tunnel. They do not cut stones at this mine so you will have to take your finds elsewhere if you want that.The kids loved this mine. Along with the finds, they also enjoyed the mine's dogs and cat. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They identified and bagged all the finds individually which was nice. The staff also offered freeze pops to everyone on the flume which was nice for a hot summer day. This is a good mine to take your family and spend a few hours.

1  Thank ph35
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Visited Rose Creek on July 31st. Met the owner's wife who got my girlfriend and I started. We chose to dig the native dirt out of the covered sheds which is a short walk from the flume. While I had very little idea what I was keeping a young girl came by our area and began educating us on our finds. This was very helpful and kept up excited about what we might find next. We ended up having a great day. We purchased a total of 14 buckets of dirt, sifted through it over a 6 hour period and found numerous gems and minerals, which the staff will identify and help bag up for you when you are leaving. Our best find was a 60 carat ruby but we found everything from rose, smoky, blue and green quartz to sapphire, garnet, amethyst, topaz and my favorite Cherokee Indian pottery.

We actually cut short a trip to Banner Elk and decided to come back and mine for a couple more days. While we were not quite as successful on our 2nd and 3rd day will still found plenty of gems and had a great time. Highly recommend. We only regret not purchasing a few bags of dirt to take home as we are both having withdraws.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We visited Rose Creek Mine this past week, and we had a great time mining for gems. We chose to do the natural dirt, not the salted buckets on this, our third trip to this mine. Tom, Linda, and family made us feel at home and were ever ready to answer our questions, especially about the items we were finding. We did manage to find a couple of pieces of Cherokee Pottery shards, which really excited us, as these are hard to find. We also found some rubies and sapphires! Yes, they have salted buckets, and we've done them in the past, but we prefer to spend the time going through the natural dirt. We had fun, and that is what it was all about!

1  Thank Dave R