“Good Mine, Friendly Staff”
Review of Rose Creek Mine

Rose Creek Mine
Ranked #2 of 35 things to do in Franklin
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My famly and I visited this mine in July 2012. I chose to dig my own here. The clay from the dig tunnel was somewhat of a sticky pain to deal with here making the rocks somewhat more difficult to wash. My finds were somewhat slim however I did find some good rubies, sappires and actually, a piece of amitrine. The finds in the $75 enriched buckets were great. You can run a tab for your buckets which is nice especially when digging in the tunnel. They do not cut stones at this mine so you will have to take your finds elsewhere if you want that.The kids loved this mine. Along with the finds, they also enjoyed the mine's dogs and cat. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They identified and bagged all the finds individually which was nice. The staff also offered freeze pops to everyone on the flume which was nice for a hot summer day. This is a good mine to take your family and spend a few hours.

1  Thank ph35
There are newer reviews for Rose Creek Mine

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Visited Rose Creek on July 31st. Met the owner's wife who got my girlfriend and I started. We chose to dig the native dirt out of the covered sheds which is a short walk from the flume. While I had very little idea what I was keeping a young girl came by our area and began educating us on our finds. This was very helpful and kept up excited about what we might find next. We ended up having a great day. We purchased a total of 14 buckets of dirt, sifted through it over a 6 hour period and found numerous gems and minerals, which the staff will identify and help bag up for you when you are leaving. Our best find was a 60 carat ruby but we found everything from rose, smoky, blue and green quartz to sapphire, garnet, amethyst, topaz and my favorite Cherokee Indian pottery.

We actually cut short a trip to Banner Elk and decided to come back and mine for a couple more days. While we were not quite as successful on our 2nd and 3rd day will still found plenty of gems and had a great time. Highly recommend. We only regret not purchasing a few bags of dirt to take home as we are both having withdraws.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We visited Rose Creek Mine this past week, and we had a great time mining for gems. We chose to do the natural dirt, not the salted buckets on this, our third trip to this mine. Tom, Linda, and family made us feel at home and were ever ready to answer our questions, especially about the items we were finding. We did manage to find a couple of pieces of Cherokee Pottery shards, which really excited us, as these are hard to find. We also found some rubies and sapphires! Yes, they have salted buckets, and we've done them in the past, but we prefer to spend the time going through the natural dirt. We had fun, and that is what it was all about!

1  Thank Dave R
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The people there were great and and very nice to talk to and they told us about a few other places also where to go to get our gems done if we needed to..You will like this place

2  Thank tonig55
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Had a great time a rose creek mine 7-16-12 everyone was super friendly and even brought around Popsicles. Our daughter loved it and we were even able to take our small dog.