“The Best!”

Cherokee Ruby & Sapphire Mine
Ranked #5 of 36 things to do in Franklin
More attraction details
Owner description: Cherokee Ruby & Sapphire Mine is Macon County's ONLY 100% Unsalted Mine, located in the heart of the Beautiful Cowee Valley of North Carolina's Smoky Mountains.
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely the warmest and most friendly place. Maria and Ray are absolute " gems ". Our first trip was in May and were hooked. If you're looking for a gem in every bucket, this isn't the place for you. As this mine is not salted. What you will find here is higher quality Cowee Valley gems if you're so lucky.
The price will give you every opportunity to find one. $15 start fee gets you a screen and 2 buckets. Each additional is only 2.50. Plus all the free advice you need from Maria to help you identify your finds.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

After reading the reviews and learning alittle about gem mining, We decided to come here and try our luck. Easy directions to get to and there is alot of room at the flume. It was my wife, daughter, son (both teenagers), and myself. We were sure we were going to find the biggest ruby anyone has ever seen. Well, that didnt quite happen but we had lots of fun washing the stone and picking thru to see if we found anything. If we didnt know what we were looking at Maria helped us out and even a few people at the flume showed us what to look for. I will be back, gemming is in my blood now and this was a perfect experience.

3  Thank TwoforDinner
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My first time at franklin i missed this place and went to another mine... it was good but this place is the best. The staff was so friendly and helpful. It is a family run business and they really do care about the guest. They go out of their way to make sure you have a good time while mining for gems... I will only go to this mine from now on. I found 2 rubys and had them made into necklaces for mothers day. If you can only pick one mine in town it must be CHEROKEE RUBY AND SAPPHIRE MINE.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

From all the positive reviews we were expecting great things here. They didn't happen. We visited three mines today, this one was second, and this was the worst of the bunch. No help from the staff, no real exciting gems found and the seating, even with pads, wasn't good. I'll just chalk it up to it being a bad day.

1  Thank Leon67203
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My fiancé and I visited the mine a few months ago. I called the mine a few days before we drove there to talk with "mom" about our chances of finding a ruby at the mine. When I called the mine Maria or Mom as many call her answered the phone. She informed me that this particular mine had at least seven native gems that folks found daily. She didn't make any false promises. She said that each of the seven gems are found daily but we weren't guaranteed a ruby. She said someone mining beside us could find a ruby and we may not. She was very up front and a great source source of information. We decided to make the 8 hour drive and go mining! We had so much fun at the mine. It was absolutely incredible. Mom was amazing. She helped us and every other patron there identify their gems. It was great. Mom's son was there too. He also helped us a ton! He was a very nice guy. We actually found a ruby there and used it for my wedding ring. It is so beautiful. I have gotten SO many compliments on it. Cherokee Ruby and Sapphire mine is an awesome place to go for the real mining deal. My now husband and I have told many people about how we had my ring made and how we came upon my ruby and this incredible experience. If you are looking to have a native mining experience Cherokee mine is the place to do it. We had an awesome time because of the help given to us by Mom and her son. It was an experience that we will never forget and we will definitely repeat in the future. Absolutely awesome. We were blessed to stumble onto this mine and onto the ruby that started our future. Big thanks to Maria and her son for an incredible adventure.

5  Thank Lisa C