Went here for Thanksgiving week. Was looking forward to a room with a fireplace, but come to find out that none of the rooms with a fireplace have a small fridge and microwave. The latter was very surprising since this resort is so located in such a remote area, with limited dining facilities available (especially in winter). We ended up getting a one bedroom single-wide trailer, which had a full kitchen, but no fireplace. We did look at a 2-bedroom cabin, but the layout was crappy, and the price was much higher ($40-50 night), and the fireplace was out in a small living room; we wanted it to be in the bedroom.
As many others have noted, the only place you can get internet and/or phone service is in the lodge lobby...and the internet service there is SLOW too. The TV reception in our trailer was so poor, I got maintenance to come out and look at it because I thought something was wrong. Turns out that's just the way it is, as the maintenance guy told me that the farther you are from the main lodge, the worse your TV reception will be! What year is it!? LOL I was brought back to my days in the early 70s when we lived in western NY, and we used to try and adjust our roof-top TV antenna to pull in stations from Canada (Hamilton & Toronto)....they came in barely visible & blurry, just like in our trailer!
One of the main reasons we went here for Thanksgiving was that they had a bunch of activities scheduled for Wed. - Sat. One that we were really looking forward to was a marshmallow roast in a huge fire pit on Wed. night, but they cancelled it because it was too cold!!! In my mind, the only thing that should have cancelled that fire was rain, a blizzard, or very high winds....there was neither present that night, just coldness (about 25-30 degrees). In other words, IT WAS A PERFECT NIGHT FOR A PIT FIRE!
OK, so another reason for going here was the Thanksgiving buffet. It was good, but with two major flaws. The main courses were turkey, roast beef, ham, and trout cakes. The turkey and ham were awesome, while the roast beef was horrible (tough and dry), and the trout cakes were just average. That was one flaw, the other was the desserts. I think they made them all on Wed., then put them in the fridge until they were served on Thurs. The small mini-pies were crusty and NOT fresh, not at all. The cakes were OK, but also seemed about a day old. The salad & rolls were very good, as were all the side dishes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fontana Village Resort, a year round destination resort, is set amidst the pristine beauty of the Nantahala Forest of western North Carolina, gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Village has a wide range of accommodations, including rooms in the intimate settings of The Lodge, suites, cabins in the forest, as well as RV & tent camping on Cheoah Lake. Add conference space, complimentary wi-fi service, restaurants and lounges, General Store, gift shops, outfitters, pools, marina, fitness center, mountain bike shop, miles of on-site trails suitable for biking and hiking, and it's easy to see why Fontana is a Great Smoky Mountain Destination. The resort offers an assortment of dining options including the Mountview Restaurant and the Wildwood Grill offering resort-casual dining and event catering. The Pitstop offers a fast fare menu for guests or travelers on the go. If watersports are on your itinerary during your stay, the Fontana Marina, located on the beautiful 30 mile long Fontana Lake, has an assortment of different watercraft rentals and equipment available. The Marina's ship store offers a complete line of tackle, light groceries and snacks and anything else guests might need for a perfect day on the water. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Fontana Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fontana Village Hotel Fontana Dam
- Fontana Village Fontana Dam