We chose this place due to a Groupon that was offered. I had been wanting to visit the area, so this was a good deal. I will start with the positives: we stayed in a King Room, and the rooms are very large, both In length and width. We had a nice balcony, and it was clean; the lobby is beautiful, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Now the negatives: the room smelled musty, and I could have sworn that the carpet felt damp ( we figured that this was due to the elevation/clouds); the hallway in the lodge was not very well lit; we used the stairwell a couple of times coming in from the outdoors, and it made me think of a parking garage stairwell; the only restaurant available on the property was the one in the lodge, which was also the most expensive one ( the only other thing available within a 45 minute drive was the Deals Gap Grill about 10 minutes away, which is basically a biker joint, but clean and friendly, and the food was a good value and good); activities cost extra, and the equipment was very old and in bad shape; the railing on the balconies in the lodge rooms will NOT keep a small child from falling out ( we did not have one with us, but I wanted to point that out. It really should be addressed, and I'm really surprised that it meets code). If you have a family with kids that are under the age of about 15, and you want a place that you can just go to and not leave for a week, then this could be the place for you. Rent one of the cabins. Just make sure you stop at a grocery store on the way in, because it is a LONG way to town on VERY curvy roads. And bring your own sporting equipment. There is NO cell phone or internet connection there except in the lobby. You are definitely out there in the boonies! But you do have everything you need.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fontana Village Resort, a year round destination resort, is set amidst the pristine beauty of the Nantahala Forest of western North Carolina, gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Village has a wide range of accommodations, including rooms in the intimate settings of The Lodge, suites, cabins in the forest, as well as RV & tent camping on Cheoah Lake. Add conference space, complimentary wi-fi service, restaurants and lounges, General Store, gift shops, outfitters, pools, marina, fitness center, mountain bike shop, miles of on-site trails suitable for biking and hiking, and it's easy to see why Fontana is a Great Smoky Mountain Destination. The resort offers an assortment of dining options including the Mountview Restaurant and the Wildwood Grill offering resort-casual dining and event catering. The Pitstop offers a fast fare menu for guests or travelers on the go. If watersports are on your itinerary during your stay, the Fontana Marina, located on the beautiful 30 mile long Fontana Lake, has an assortment of different watercraft rentals and equipment available. The Marina's ship store offers a complete line of tackle, light groceries and snacks and anything else guests might need for a perfect day on the water. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fontana Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fontana Village Hotel Fontana Dam
- Fontana Village Fontana Dam