While there is no danger of getting a Michelin star this resort is never the less a very good location for a family vacation. We rented a Willow one bedroom cabin which started life as a modular (i.e. mobile home) unit with a faux log cabin skin. The cabin was located in a park like setting with reasonable spacing between units. The area was beautiful and peacefully save for the occasional passing mechanized army brigade (it might have been a pack of motorcycles, it’s hard to tell the difference).
The resort has several playgrounds and two pools (one general, one at the lodge). The kitchen was adequately equipped for cooking in the cabin but we also ate out at the grill (lunch and dinner, hamburgers and such) and the restaurant in the lodge. Our food in the restaurant was very good (and priced accordingly but not overpriced) with excellent service at both places.
While we did not stay in the lodge a tip for parents with children that will spend most of their time in the pool- You can get rooms that open up on the pool courtyard where it is very easy to keep an eye on your kids but have easy access to the room.
Free review of the marina- We were staying the area to go boating on beautiful Fontana Lake. The nearby marina was a modern, clean facility (in stark contrast to some of the other marinas on the lake). We were able to dock our boat there which made it very easy to take the boat out for the day without having to launch and retrieve. If you plan to dock your boat you may want to call ahead and reserve a space as they don’t have that many transient slips. If you did not think to bring your boat you can still get out on the lake on “Miss Hazel” (a large pontoon boat). You can go out for a tour or have them take you up Hazel creek where you can get out and hike for the day in the GSMNP.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fontana Village Resort, a year round destination resort, is set amidst the pristine beauty of the Nantahala Forest of western North Carolina, gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Village has a wide range of accommodations, including rooms in the intimate settings of The Lodge, suites, cabins in the forest, as well as RV & tent camping on Cheoah Lake. Add conference space, complimentary wi-fi service, restaurants and lounges, General Store, gift shops, outfitters, pools, marina, fitness center, mountain bike shop, miles of on-site trails suitable for biking and hiking, and it's easy to see why Fontana is a Great Smoky Mountain Destination. The resort offers an assortment of dining options including the Mountview Restaurant and the Wildwood Grill offering resort-casual dining and event catering. The Pitstop offers a fast fare menu for guests or travelers on the go. If watersports are on your itinerary during your stay, the Fontana Marina, located on the beautiful 30 mile long Fontana Lake, has an assortment of different watercraft rentals and equipment available. The Marina's ship store offers a complete line of tackle, light groceries and snacks and anything else guests might need for a perfect day on the water. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fontana Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fontana Village Hotel Fontana Dam
- Fontana Village Fontana Dam