“Overpriced & showing it's age”

Holiday Inn Fayetteville I-95 South
Ranked #21 of 53 Hotels in Fayetteville
Reviewed January 26, 2009

This hotel was built to be nice. Lobby & corridors were built to be upscale. Problem is, the years have passed & they have been slow to keep up & refurbish. The rooms are outdated & show there age. I would guess the hotel is 25-30 yes. old. Once I complained about the VERY old beds & the mgr. explained that they are aware of the problem and replacing them as they can. Next stay I requested a room w/ new bed and got it. The new beds are obviously cheap & uncomfortable. The one bright spot is the pool, which is outstanding - indoor, large, and well heated, BUT no hot tub. Breakfast (which is included if you are a Priority Club member) is pretty good. It's not made-to-order, so pancakes taste like they were made many hours ago, but it is a relatively full, hot breakfast, though not worth the $10 they get for regular walk-ins (non-members). The BIG PROBLEM with this place is that they have raised prices dramatically in the past 2-3 yrs. With the age & condition of the place it was marginally worth it before, now it is just way, way overpriced. I don't mind paying good money, but the rates here are way, way out of proportion to the quality of the hotel....period. $89 would be about the most the market will bear for these rooms. $79 would be a fair price on today's market. From $129 leads me to believe the owners have delusions of gradeur. Either that or they are trying to milk it for everything they can get & don't care about repeat business. Stay at the Comfort Inn - the rooms are 2nd rate there too, but it's $50 less a night. OR, spend $129 but stay at the Hilton Garden Inn which is 10 times better and 1st class in every way - a Hilton bed is like a dream (& they have a hot tub). I think the Holiday Inn will find that it doesn't pay to buy the cheapest beds they can find.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank cruisedoc1

Reviewed January 3, 2009

This was probably one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at.. and I have stayed at a lot. I was traveling from Florida to NY with my wife and two small dogs. When we first arrived we were impressed by the nice appearance of the lobby and restaurant/bar. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. However, once we got to our room our experience took a turn for the worst. The room was gross, dirty, smelled with an old moldy, musty smell. The bathroom was gross and we wondered if the sheets has been changed since the last guest. There were dead bugs on the floor, the heating unit created a terrible dirty smell when turned on and the shower and tub had rust and grime on it. The room was old, outdated, ugly and not pleasant. The noise coming from other rooms and the hallway was easily heard throughout the night. The neighborhood surrounding this hotel was not the best. In fact there was a flier in the room outlining a list of safety precautions to take while staying at the hotel and around the area. This was a terrible experience and I would never recommend or stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Healthiest
Reviewed December 7, 2008

Actually I would give this hotel 3 1/2 spots but that wasn't an option here. First off, I want to say I booked this hotel with trepidation because of some of the reviews which spoke of it being in a sketchy neighborhood. Our son was getting ready to deploy to Iraq from Ft. Bragg and the Holiday Inn Express I wanted was full. This one is farther away, but still within a reasonable distance to Ft. Bragg. In short, the neighborhood is not bad at all. There are numerous hotels and restaurants on that stretch including a Doubletree. How bad can it be then?
As far as the hotel itself, the lobby was gorgeous, the rooms not so much. They were clean but a bit worn around the edges. The hotel website said the rooms had micro and fridge but our room had neither. Upon checking out, I was told if I had requested one, they would have brought one to our room. Keep this in mind if you book here. It's useful to know. All in all, the rooms are not bad, fairly spacious if not brand new. The notations I have seen on other's reviews about the heat/ac unit are true. We also had trouble getting the temperature just right but it wasn't a major issue. There was also a bit of noise from it, but not enough that it kept us from sleeping well and I tend to have trouble sleeping even at home.
There was a lovely indoor pool but as it turned out, we had no opportunity to use it as we were always on the go.
The staff was pleasant and quick with a smile. Had no problems at all there. They have a breakfast buffet in the restaurant that had everything from french toast to fresh fruit to an omelet station for around $8 or $9.
If you are looking for a clean fairly comfortable hotel along I95, this is one to consider.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2008

We booked a 4 day company meeting here, and the service was terrible!
The Employees were Rude and Sullen, the management disconnected and the Food horrible.
Every meal was late being served and often tasted cold and old.
They actually forget to prepare one of our meals one night, so we had 30 people scrambling to find something to eat.
Many of our rooms were not cleaned or made up everyday and the neighborhood is a crime zone.
This would be OK for an overnighter while traveling, but it is overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank deckhandoug
Reviewed April 19, 2008

Not the nicest Holiday Inn, but had a large enclosed courtyard which was good for walking the dog late at night. The area is right off of 95 and a little sketchy, so the courtyard was definitely a plus. I was approached by a drifter working the parking lot to get money to "get his car fixed" while preparing to checkout in the morning.

The room was clean with a microfridge and spacious living room area. The beds are in need of upgrading and sliding glass doors to courtyard didn't give a terribly secure feeling. Overall a decent night's sleep though. Don't recommend eating at the hotel restaurant. We got room service for dinner and ate in the restaurant for breakfast, neither of which impressed us.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2008

Booked this hotel online from the Priority Club site for $79. We are on a trip from VA to FL travelling with a teen and a pet. We had stayed in the Holiday Inn Bordeaux (pet friendly also) in downtown Fayetteville in Oct 07 and wanted to stay closer to I-95 this time.

Check-in was easy and the woman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The front desk clerk did not mention a pet fee although I think I remember the website mentioning one. The lobby was nice. We stayed in room 1037 (ground level end room in the smoking wing). The room had two doors (one to the parking lot and one to the interior of the hotel. Although the room did not smell like smoke the interior hallway smelled terrible. The room was fairly clean but did not have any bathroom products (shampoo, soap etc.). The bathroom was old and in need of remodeling. The room felt safe enough with all of us in it but I was hesitant to leave my teenager alone in the room at night even while we went to the restaurant in the hotel.

I would stay here again if it was the best price out of the three Holiday Inns in the area but not if the others had a better price and had pet friendly rooms.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2007

Our stay was for one night in April and I will never come back here. We were looking for an inexpensive but clean place to stay on our way from NJ to South Carolina for spring break with the kids. Arrived late, and good thing we called to advise them of late check-in (11:00 PM) because the hotel was sold out. Requested a non-smoking room (medical reasons). When we arrived, while the lobby was very nice, the room was terrible. Opened the door and the smoke smell hit you in the face immediately. Sheets smelled of smoke. Room was dirty. Bathroom was disgusting (looked like a maintenance worker may have been doing work in there; filthy muddy shower curtain, dirty walls, and hair all over the bathroom floor). Did no good to advise the front desk, at the hotel was sold out and no other room was available. Our friends whom we were travelling with encountered the same problem with a smokey room smell and dirty bed sheets on their 1st floor room. All the kids woke up in the AM coughing from the smell. Funny thing about this stay was that I consulted TripAdvisor comments before booking here and figured it was a safe bet. Was the worst hotel stay I think I've ever had.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family