“Wonderful General Service Manager But...”

Ramada Plaza Fayetteville Fort Bragg Area
Ranked #39 of 50 Hotels in Fayetteville
Erwin, North Carolina
“Wonderful General Service Manager But...”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My sisters and I stayed at this hotel on March 16 2013 (due to sickness I'm just now getting around to my review). It is located close to a hospital, drug store, and a lot of eateries...K&W, McD's., Bo's, etc. and a shopping mall with high-in dept. stores along with various other ones isn't very far away. Since we were going for a conference along with other ladies someone else made the reservations for me, however, I called hotel the day before arrival to let them know that one member of our room party (three) would be there ahead of the other two and she would need to get straight into room to take a bath before leaving for conference since she works at a hospital. We received a call during travel time from our sister, first one there and needing to take a bath, advising us that it was then five o'clock and the hotel staff had informed her that the room was not ready! Check-in is supposed to be at three o'clock, on top of that she was also informed that one of the elevators wasn't working properly and our room was on the very top floor...think it was sixth floor and we didn't need to hear this since we don't like elevators to start with (she heard the person reporting to staff about the elevator). I had also advised the day before arrival that we wanted a bottom floor due to health problems, one being severe back problems, needless to say this did not make for "happy campers!" I immediately called the hotel during travel time there and informed staff that we were not happy to learn that our room was on the sixth floor when one on lower levels (first or second) was requested and that elevators were having problems at that. The staff member whose name I failed to get informed me that the elevators "were working fine" when several ladies in our group heard person talking with the front desk when the elevator problem was reported. Upon arrival at hotel my sister, first one there and needing to take a bath due to job, was still seated in front lobby and it was now six o'clock! I tried to remain calm and immediately went to speak with someone at the front desk, questioned why our room wasn't on one of lower floors and worse yet why wasn't it available at six o'clock??? The lady I spoke with tried to explain that they had a lot of ppl staying and all the rooms had not been able to be cleaned by check-in time and that due to the computers "being down" they were dealing with a lot of problems at the current time...DA! I asked to speak to a manager and talked with Ms. Karina Lumsden the GS (General Service) Manager. She understood my concern and went straightway to helping correct the problems although she couldn't help with the lost time and my sister not being able to get a bath before supper and conference starting time which was seven thirty. She did however manage to get us a room on first floor with a king bed and a cot taken to room for us which was fine for the one night, however I did express the poor service with check-in time not being available and how it had really inconvenienced us and threw all our plans to the wind!! I cannot express how helpful, sweet and extremely nice this young woman was, if not for here we would have probably tried to have found another hotel nearby. After getting everything straightened out at front desk the best she could (one king bed was ONLY thing on lower floors when we wanted a room with two Queen beds) she gave us complimentary tickets for an otherwise paid breakfast buffet for next day check-out. Upon arriving to our room that evening after the conference she had delivered a fruit tray which was enjoyed also. The next morning while eating breakfast Ms. Lumsden came into the dinning room were we were enjoying breakfast and advised that she was giving me a fifty percent discount on the room which made for a much "happier camper!" We found the room to be clean, sheets crisp and bed slept well as did the cot much to our surprise. The bathroom was clean and water pressure strong. The parking area is large enough but has small spaces and very confusing as to parking near your room however we found it be to very well lighted which I understand is needed in this area of Fayetteville. The lobby area in and around front desk was beautiful with a charming stairway. If not for Ms. Lumsden and her aide I don't know that I would have been visiting this hotel again when in area but after the wonderful customer service and how eager she was to help and please I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: This town has a high crime rate and would park in front where well lighted esp. if you're planni...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Luvsweeniedogs
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Fayetteville Fort Bragg Area, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Luvsweeniedogs,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that after some initial issues with your stay, these were soon sorted and this allowed you to enjoy your stay with us. We will always endeavor to ensure that all our guests stays are comfortable. However, I apologize that your overall experience with us was not 100% satisfactory. Please be assured that all your comments are being reviewed and actions will be taken accordingly. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Im going to try and make this short and sweet. I arrived at the hotel on May 18, 2013 for my nephew wedding. I checked in at 12:30pm turned on the ac and left. I returned at 8:50pm and my room still wasnt cool so i called front desk to report it and was told someone would be sent up. I returned to my room at 1:30am to find my room still hot so i called front desk again and was told once again maintenance would be sent up. Well while waiting my 7 year old grandson who was sleeping i notice what look like a bed bug crawling by my grandson so i pick up something to kill it with much effort i killed it and blood came from it. When the maintenance man finally came i showed it to him and of course he couldnt tell if it was a bed bug not but i knew being that i worked in hotel and took a class on bed bugs. Well i was given another room so by the time i got settled in it was 2:45am and being i still wasnt comfortable my grandson and i slept on top of the sheets with our clothes on and i still didnt get any sleep and had to get up for my long drive back to Virginia Beach, VA. Now you ready for the biggie my grandson had to go to ER when we got back to VA cause his arm was red and had a bump . I call the hotel to let them know what had happen i was told an incident report had to be made and they would call me back. Well of course they didnt i had to keep calling when i did speak with someone i was told i would be refunded my money, my grandson medical bill and prescription would be refunded. On Tuesday of that week my grandson arm was swollen. Well its a month later and after many calls to them and guest relations i finally received a letter from Vonda Damon informing me that pest control inspected the room and of course no sign of insects so i guess i brought it way from Virginia and put it in my room. So i called guest relation again and told them what happen and once again was told someone from the hotel would call me. Well someone did call from the hotel to let me know that i would get all my money back but not the money for my grandson bills because pest control didnt find anything. Oh i forgot to mention they also said i would get point toward another room but like i told the guy from guest relation i wouldnt let my worst enemy stay at that hotel. So if you are planning to stay at this hotel run,run, as fast as you can. This hotel don't have your best welfare in mind.

Room Tip: run as fast as you can
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank hollywood152721
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Fayetteville Fort Bragg Area, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear hollywood152721,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

Lera P
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed at this holiday inn because of a conference I was attending. It's been a while since I stayed in holiday inn and this stay reminds me why. The hotel was old, the room was poorly furnished and poorly lighted. The tube had stains in it. The room felt dirty. The layout of the hotel is poor. I had to get in the car and drive around to my room which made getting to breakfast in the morning difficult. The staff was very nice but this didn't make up for the poor hotel. The hotel had a smell of dampness and old cigarette smoke. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Fayetteville Fort Bragg Area, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear tidetraveler1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Krysllin G.
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this Motel over the weekend of April 19th for a conference. The first floor after you left the main desk has the more horrible stench of sewage smell that you have ever smelt. As you walk back by the large windows toward the hotel restaurant the smell overwhelms you to where you just do not want to even eat there. The conference was in the lower level, the hotel management never got the air conditioning on, they were down there constantly spraying the floor because the smell of sewage was just overwhelming. The room was hot all day long, they tried fans but it was just two loud. So they eventually brought in two little portable air conditioners. The management was made aware of this the evening before around 5:30. The rooms were just average and the shower curtain smelt of sourness. I probably would not stay here again and I would never recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Fayetteville Fort Bragg Area, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Poppey B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are sincerely sorry to read about your negative experience over the smell and with the air conditioning issue. Kindly be assured that all your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with exceptional service.

Karen G.
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Arghh... I hate writing this review, since I really wanted to give this hotel a try. I hold several events with out of town guest, and this is the closest location to my studio. The first stay, my guest could not sleep due to high volume of noise coming from several directions. The walls are very thin and the specific room had an access door to the next door room, so it was really hard to ignore the noise. It didn't help that the door was coming of the hinges and looked like it could be easily opened from the other side. The second stay, the check-in experience was horrid. The check in system was down, and guests were waiting up to 1 hour to get checked in. Once in the room the shower curtain riffed of funk and it was obvious that it had seen its days. To finish it all of, The famous cockroach that crawled up the breakfast room curtain while I had breakfast with my out of town guests. It was very embarrassing since I recommended and suggested this hotel.....I am not housing my guests here anymore for my upcoming events!

Room Tip: If you do wish to stay in this hotel ask the front desk for a quiet wing...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Fayetteville Fort Bragg Area, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Shimmy-lots,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality. Rest assured that your comments about the walls and the breakfast area have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Riverside, California
Reviewed April 12, 2013

They have a special rate for visitors of the hospital across the street which is better than any other discount rate. The buffet breakfast was superb. The room was average quality but large, and all other things considered made it a great choice and highly recommended. Natasha was a superb check-in host and provided extra help to get me the points and perks for my stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Holden Beach
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Remodeled lobby is nice but the rooms, elevators and halls are aged and do not match what one
sees upon entering the lobby area. The lobby coffee that is available in the mornings in most hotels of this type was closed down. Only stayed here for proximity to the surgery center where my wife had an early morning procedure. The staff was very pleasant and polite however

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Fayetteville Fort Bragg Area, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Steve M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We have taken note of your valuable comments regarding the elevator and halls and will share these with the management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Connie D