“Great since made new” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
NC
“Great since made new”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2009

My husband and I went there on Valentine's Day and even though we did not have a reservation, they were accurate on the wait. Since the new management/ownership, the place has been newly renovated both in the dining area and also in the quality of the food. It had been almost a year since our last visit, but it won't be that long again. Even with the new ingredients, the cost is about the same. Everything they serve and cook with now is Sushi quality. And if you like to indulge, the bartender is a COMPLETE GENIUS. She makes the BEST mixed drinks, some of them are her own creations. This Valentine's Day was our best experience ever at any Hibachi Table style restaurant ever in the 18 years we have been together.

Ft. Bragg, NC
“Doubt I'll be back.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

I have eaten there twice, and was disappointed each time. The food is good, the sushi is excellent, but the ambiance is lacking. This place is in dire need of remodeling. They could use a remodel. The second time, our chef was excellent. His name was T.J. I could not order a frozen drink, because the blender was broken (according to the "kind-of" manager), and our server (who was terrible) told us that it was because they ran out of liquor. Okay... So I asked her what their house wine was. She did not know and went to find out. She returned to tell me that the house wine was plum wine. Um, no I meant, what kind of wine do you use...for example, what kind of Chardonnay/Merlot, etc. And she said, again, plum wine. I explained, again, that plum wine is a different kind of wine, as is Merlot, Chardonnay, etc. and not a brand of wine. She then left to get that information, again, and finally returned with their house brand of wine. I asked if they had spring rolls, because I hadn't had a chance to read through the menu yet. She said, "No we don't have that. Spring rolls are Chinese." Wrong again! No, they did not have spring rolls, but spring rolls are not exclusive to Chinese food. There are Japanese spring rolls, Vietnamese, etc. I then tried to order some sushi, but she told me that it would be awhile, because there were some orders ahead of mine. When I asked her to estimate how long it may be, she replied that it would probably be about 30 minutes! So I did not order the sushi this time. Our hibachi chef, TJ (who is awesome) heard the conversation and said that there were only two orders ahead of mine, and that it would not take but a couple of minutes and even offered to go prepare it himself for me! But I decided by that point to just stick to the main entree. Our server rolled her eyes and had a real attitude problem. If not for TJ, our dining experienced would have been awful. Thank you, TJ for the perfectly cooked filet mignon, your excellent service and for your funny jokes.

3 Thank ldd0221