“Worth a trip.”

Hilltop House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Hilltop House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #289 of 537 Restaurants in Fayetteville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Restaurant ambience is unusually pleasant for Fayetteville. Service was attentive and. Not rushed. Acceptable wine list. Menu is varied and food well prepared. It is a good choice for a good night out - business or pleasure.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Met friends for lunch here twice in the month of October. The interior is a renovated house, with separate rooms for dining. It is tastefully decorated in a formal design, and they use real tablecloths and elegant place settings. The food has always been excellent. I live the lunch choices, from salads and sandwiches to casseroles. The only downside during my last visit was a very long wait for our lunch. There were very few customers seated, and it was over a half hour before our food came. There was no explanation at all. The service that day was "okay", but normally the waitstaff is friendly and attentive. I will go back!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This review is going to be divided into sections: Ambience, Our overall dining experience, the food itself. Then I want to take a moment to counter some reviews I see below, so bear with me...

The restaurant is in a preserved and slightly updated historic home. It's ambience is warm, inviting, tastefully decorated, romantic, and relaxing. We loved just looking around at the stained glass, wood floors and lovely divided dining rooms.

Our Dining Experience: We arrived a little before they opened for dinner, but they let us come in out of the heat (15 minutes before they opened) and choose our table. That was a nice touch, some places would just let you wait outside... Our attendant for the evening was Audrey... I am mentioning her by name b/c without her, our evening would have only been 1/2 as good! She is friendly, knowledgeable, accommodating, helpful! Can't say enough good things about her! We told her from the beginning we were in no rush. we were celebrating my husbands bday and wanted to really enjoy the entire evening. She did not rush us or hover, yet she made sure that we were not sitting with empty glasses or plates at any time. Her timing on everything was wonderful! We had told her we wanted to try the 'Wine Flights' with our Lobster Fondue (amazing by the way) and once she picked up that we love wine, she then said..."would you like to start off with a glass of champagne to cleanse your palate before your meal?" Why YES. What a fabulous idea... we decided that every wonderful restaurant should suggest this! Anyhow... Audrey really made our evening special... and we hope to request her on our return. She should probably be in fine dining management someday, great person!

Food: Lobster Fondue, house salad, Chateaubriand for 2, Key Lime Pie and Chocolate croissant pudding. Everything was prepared beautifully! Presentation... gorgeous. Taste... unique... each one and completely delicious! Enjoyed every morsel! The Lobster Fondue was so insanely good that when we ran out of the baguette it came with, we ate he rest with our spoons as if it were a soup... and it could have been! (and btw, Audrey upon seeing we were running low... came right over and asked if she could bring us more, we said no though as we were afraid it would interfere with our meal, but again, nice touch.) The Chateaubriand... we have never had this before... only 'heard' of it, so were excited to try... the meat was so tender, so flavorful... just amazing... savored every bite! The twice baked potato was delish and so was the asparagus! The desserts (and even the coffee) were just fantastic. I seriously do not have a negative comment to make on anything at this Hilltop House Restaurant.

Was it expensive? Yes. But worth every penny. My husband and I don't own fancy cars or TV's, or anything really... we are not into 'things', but we are into travel, good food and wonderful experiences and those are our splurges... this was an almost 4 hour meal for us... so the price of it all was 4 hours of entertainment... and worth it!

So now, a couple of reviews I want to address. The reason I want to address them is by reading them, I almost cancelled our reservation, and after going last night... I realize what a mistake that would have been! So, first of all, the roaches review... well, their sanitation rating is 100. it's certainly one of the higher ratings in many restaurants in the Fayetteville area. from what we saw, it was very clean and that included the bathrooms (which goes a long way with me). The reviewer says they 'trained' their, it's possible things did not work out for them and this could be revenge, who knows... I see only 1 review for this person and it's this one, so I don't put weight on it at all. However, even if the reviewer is stating fact, this is the south... we see them from time to time everywhere no matter how clean we are... my house is an example... thing is spotless and every once in awhile... there they are! Second, the person who did not think the chateaubriand was worth it... yes, it is very expensive... it's not the 'splitting' fee that makes it a 50$ plate... chateaubriand is a very specific area of the cow and each cow only has one and preparing it is an art. Now, I'm not some snob that knows all this, 1. Audrey told us where it came from and what it is... then I looked it up too so I could see. It's not something you want to spend on every time you go b/c it is pricey, but a special occasion? SO worth it!

So that is our experience in a nutshell and we hope you will enjoy yours as well! Happy Dining all!

3  Thank oinee
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Friendly and efficient staff. Brunch had very nice collection of dishes. Shrimp and grits,crab cakes, omelets made to order were my favorites. The squash casserole was delicious too. Nice cold seafood bar with boiled shrimp, smoked salmon and oysters on the half shell. Deserts included a very nice bread pudding just wish there had been perhaps a lemon or bourbon sauce to add as a topping. A great find if you happen to be in Fayetteville on business and are here over the weekend. Lovely decor in an olden home located near the downtown area.

1  Thank MAWSC
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I am sorry but I trained at this restaurant for a few days and I saw roaches in the kitchen!! Yes dead roaches, live roaches, roach eggs, big roaches, and baby ones. Not waterbugs or the big cockroaches but roaches!!! Yuck.. The kitchen is infested with them, literally. Its a blessing to the owner that none has been in anyone's food yet. If we went to pull out a tray, the bugs would be crawling on us. I even saw one climbing up the orange juice jug. I was absolutely disgusted. Not only roches but I observed servers coming in and not washing hands. They handled food without washing hands. Off hours staff would come in to train us and handle guest food, AGAIN WITHOUT WASHING HANDS. I even saw one girl lick her fingers and touch a guest cheesecake. We never were trained to wash hands. There is not even a station in the kitchen with soap to do so. I have worked in restaurants which require the servers to wash hands coming in the kitchen and wash hands coming out of the kitchen. This place does not care. But worst of all I can not ignore the roaches...it was BAD!! I REFUSE TO ALLOW ANYONE I LOVE OR EVEN THOSE WHO HATE ME, TO EAT AT THIS RESTAURANT. I guess they have that 100 bc all owners are given a heads up to when inspectors are coming. But I would urge whoever knows how, to contact the inspectors and tell them to do a surprise visit. It is very very nasty.

4  Thank Jess T