“Customer satisfaction not included”

Residence Inn Fayetteville Cross Creek
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Fayetteville
Fairfax
“Customer satisfaction not included”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We booked a room for four adults and two dogs at this hotel. We booked through a 3rd party website, filled out the form which included the information that we were traveling with two dogs and a price was quoted of $125/night. When we arrived at the hotel (which was not easy to find as it is sitting directly behind another Mariott hotel with no sign on the road indicating that it is back there; when we got to the desk, we were informed that there was a $100 pet fee, not deposit, but fee meaning non-refundable. It was 10:00 pm on a rainy night and we had been driving for 10 hours so we were not going to argue with the formidable Ramona at the desk -- who never cracked a smile and did not have a word of welcome for us; rather she looked irritated that we had out dogs with us. We got upstairs, the room was nice, plenty of space and a kitchenette, but although it was a room for four, there were not enough towels, pillows or blankets. We called the desk to ask for more and were told that IF they could be brought over from the warehouse (?!) they would be brought up to us -- which never happened. The next morning the relentless Ramona was on guard in the lobby and when one of our party passed through to take a dog outside, she rushed over to inform her that 'dogs are not allowed in the dining room' although no one was heading in that direction. When we checked out and left, she stood silently at her post. We were all annoyed by the unadvertised pet fee, so I contacted Mariott Corp and complained about it -- we did not see any mention of a pet fee on the booking site that we used, on Trip Advisor or on a pet lovers travel site. The corp office referred the whole matter back to the hotel where we stayed. There, I received an email from Anja Palasky informing me that "dogs are not permitted anywhere on the hotel property" but that we were charged that fee because the room would have to be especially cleaned and descented from our dogs (who did no more than walk from the door to their kennels and go to sleep). If pets are not allowed, then why did they have a fenced in dog-walk area and a sign to put on the room door indicating "pets inside" for the staff? Anja did not answer my email when I asked that question. In the end, we paid $225 for a room for four adults and 2 dogs, and half the towels, pillows and blankets that we needed. Mariott Corp did not seem disturbed by this in the least.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Debra S
StacyCounihan, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Fayetteville Cross Creek, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Debra,

On behalf of our management team at the Residence Inn Fayetteville Cross Creek, we apologize for the mis-communication you received regarding our pet policy. Additionally, it sounds like you had a less than satisfactory customer service experience which we are very sorry about because we take great pride in training our staff on providing excellent service to each and every one of our guests. We will be sure to talk to Ramona about this issue and re-train her.

I am not sure which 3rd party website you booked your reservation on, but I would like to let you know that our pet policy is in fact listed on both our hotel website under 'Fact Sheet' and on TripAdvisor under 'Policies & Fees':

It seems as though you may have mis-interpreted Anja's email to you regarding our pet policy. She is not only a wonderful General Manager, she is a huge pet lover and has two dogs of her own. She is actually known for walking our guests dogs every now and then when they are not available to take them out during the day.

Please review Anja's email again for clarification:

Dear Ms. Stevenson,

Thank you for choosing Residence Inn Fayetteville for your recent stay in the area and for sharing your concerns with us.

Our record shows that the mentioned reservation was made on 4-28-13 via central reservations. Our website shows that we do allow pets on property and the fee for any pets in the room is $100, which is not refundable. During check in our occupancy policy as well as the pet policy were signed, which both state that the pet fee is a non refundable $100.

Please understand that this fee is a cleaning fee, which is necessary to ensure there are no pet's hair or odor left behind after our four legged guests check out, and therefore we are not able to rebate this fee to you.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Anja Palasky

We certainly hope to see you back at our property again and would like to make sure you receive the best customer service your second time around! Please contact either Anja or myself next time you are in Fayetteville, and we will be happy to accommodate you and your two dogs again. We even have dog treats waiting for them at the front desk :)

Best Regards,

Stacy Counihan
Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Spring Lake, North Carolina
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Okay, just checked out of the Towne Place Inn next door to spend the next 10 days here, and I already regret it. Like my reservation at the Towne Place, I requested a king room. This bed is a queen all day long, and a smallish one at that. Unlike the other hotel, this room just screams CHEAP: old furniture, plain cabinetry, way smaller room (though admittedly, this isn't a suite, but the fit and finish is such poor quality it doesn't matter anyway). Like the title implies, I like this chain, and I try to stay there whenever I travel. But this room just makes me wonder I this hotel was built for token representation in the Fayetteville market, as if the locals wouldn't know better and couldn't care less. And that is the bigger insult, because the Atlanta, Durham, Savanah and Northern Virginia locations are beautiful. This is a glorified Ramada Inn. Now, this is probably kinda harsh, especially since I'm writing this late at night and I'm disappointed as hell (did I mention that the Towne Place was cheaper?), things can change a lot in a week. We'll see, and I hope to write a better follow-up. I'm definitely requesting another room in the morning--with a REAL king bed!

• Stayed June 2013
StacyCounihan, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Fayetteville Cross Creek, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Therren,

We apologize for your below par experience during your first night with us at the Residence Inn. I first would like to thank you for staying with us and hope your experience since your first night, has been a pleasant one!

Our property is coming up on its 7th Anniversary and we are excited to tell you that we are going to be getting a renovation this fall! We are aware that some of our furniture may be a little dated and has some wear and tear, however, we look forward to getting a brand new look very soon. Come back by this fall/winter and check us out :)

All 92 spacious suites at the Residence Inn-Fayetteville Cross Creek have King beds, aside from one, so it sounds like you must have checked into that one. If you are not currently in a King, we will be happy to transfer you to another room.

Since you are still here with us, and left such a passionate review, I would like urge you to come down to speak with both myself and our wonderful General Manager, Anja Palasky, so we can rectify any other issue you are experiencing. We want you to leave here with a BIG smile on your face, as a majority of our guests do. We take great pride in our hotel and excellent service and want all of our guests to be completely satsfied with their stay. We certainly look forward to meeting you soon!

Stacy Counihan
Director of Sales
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is comfortable, clean, and has a great staff. The are lots of breakfast choices even for those who try to eat healthy selections. It's also the only 2-bedroom/2-bathroom option in Fayetteville as far as I know - the Suites across the parking lot offer 2-bedrooms but only 1 bathroom according to the website. I'd give the property 5 circles if it wasn't located next to one of the crappier WalMarts I've seen in a generic, strip-mall dominated part of town that could be "Anywhere", America.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Looking forward to seeing you back here with us again in the near future!

Management
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I use the. Marriott hotel group because they provide excellent value and this was no exception clean well laid out room and public spaces. Great breakfast area and food.. Bed comfy room quiet what more can one ask. Staff were pleasant reception lady was not that welcoming which is unusual but she did her job.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kenneth,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us back in April. We pride ourselves in our warm and friendly staff, so you must have had an unusual experience at the reception. Please come back and introduce yourself to management next time you're in town and we will make sure your stay is just as pleasant as your first!

Management
Fort Belvoir, Virginia
Reviewed April 23, 2013

As a former resident of Fayetteville, I'm rather well aware of the city and its hotel offerings. If and when I am to visit now that I've moved away, the Residence Inn (or its sister property, Town Place Suites), are my choices for hotels. Not only are the staff attentive and friendly, but all the rooms are full suites and give me everything I could want in a room. I also have 2 dogs and travel with them often. I've never stayed in a more pet friendly hotel! I've stayed in all room types as well, depending on how many people in our party, and I've never been disappointed in our accommodations!

Room Tip: Rooms book fast, especially during the work week when there are lots of business travelers in the ho...