“Wonderful Discovery”

Cuisines: American, Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We checked into the Comfort Inn across the street and our hostess suggested this restaurant located in the Doubletree hotel if we were interested in a little upscale dining.

Since we had checked in early we walked across the street to investigate this restaurant. We found an attractive room with well spaced tables with an attached bar. Though not yet open a manager showed us a menu and as an afterthought informed us that the restaurant also had an Indian menu. We reviewed this menu and immediately decided to return for dinner.

What a delight. For an appetizer we had Murg Masala, ($6) Chicken breast marinated in a bouquet of Indian spices and served with a sweet and sour tamarind sauce on the side, on a bed of baaby greens and lettuce. I would have been happy to have this a a main course. Spicy but what flavours. For a main course we shared a Sumandari Jhinga ($15), five spicy shrimp cooked with tomatoes, onions and homemade exotic curry sauce and Chili Chicken ($12), tempura chicken tossed with onions and bell peppers finished with an aromatic Indian sauce of garlic and ginger spices. Both dishes were served with tomato and onion salad, rice and cucumber raita.

Both dishes were outstanding although I found the Sumandari Jhinga had a little too much sauce. We learned later that the chef is Indian.

If you like spicy and flavourful Indian food you won't be disappointed. Although we did not sample the traditional menu the dishes we saw going by were very attractive.

If you happen to stay at the Comfort Inn they will give you a coupon for a 20% discount on the food. Enjoy!

1  Thank Dennis B

Reviewed March 27, 2014

My wife and I were traveling back to New England from Florida and stopped for the night at the Doubletree in Fayetteville, N.C. Since we had been traveling 13+ hours we decided to give the hotel restaurant a try... and we're very happy we did! The Marquis Bistro is a gem of a hotel restaurant. I travel on business weekly and have had my share of bad meals in hotels. The Marquis has a very interesting menu combining Southern comfort food with Asian & Indian cuisine. We sat at the bar and felt welcome right away. The staff is friendly and knowledeable although as other reviewers have indicated a little slow. I suspect that's because everything is prepared to order. We stared with the Asian apps and they were delicious. My wife had the Salmon which she said was cooked perfectly. I tried one of the specials, Korean BBQ Scallops, on a whim and was pleasently surprised. The scallops were not over cooked and the sauce was just right; not too spicey or overly BBQ'ee. Now, I would stay away from the breaded, deep fried hamburger stuffed with cheese and jalepeno's unless you bring your own defibrilator!! We will definitely make the Doubletree & the Marquis our mid-point stop on other FL trips.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Since there weren't many restaurants nearby - other than fast food - we were directed to this one in the Doubletree. We were told the special for the evening was soft-shell crabs. We asked the waitress where they were getting the crabs (out of season), but she had no idea and did not offer to inquire. My wife decided to try them anyway. What a mistake! The plate arrived with two heavily breaded paper-thin crabs (?) the color of burnt-brown. One bite was enough to know they were totally inedible. The manager (?) offered her another choice, but my wife no longer had any appetite.

3  Thank endjed
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We were staying in the Doubletree that houses the Marquis' Bistro, and we're often game for hotel restaurants. The room is not unpleasant. It was remarkably underpopulated; we were one of three tables seated -- a total of five diners.
The menu tries, but does not convince. It had changed greatly from its online presence. For instance, the eight ounce filet has become a six ounce filet, and looks it. There is no larger cut, but amazingly, the evening special was a four ounce filet! Four! Thankfully, it was not called a " quarter-pounder"! Other items had been dropped or replaced, none for the better.
One addition is " rack of lamb", but after hearing of the quarter-pounder, I wasn't brave enough to try it.
I enjoyed the entree shrimp and grits, generous on grits, with five or six shrimp. Perfectly acceptable, but not as glorious as it could be. Goat cheese instead of not particularly flavorful yellow cheese might elevate it.
Much of the food is freezer food, hiding behind cleaver wording. For instance, several are described as having "homemade" sauces. It's not the sauce that's crucial. The "homemade" hummus tastes and feels like Sabra with added spices. The accompanying herbed nan was a nice touch. The salad lacked any personality or flair (or to be honest, flavor).
None of the desserts were made on premises. Is anyone else really tired of freezer lava cake micro nuked when ordered?
The chef seems likely to be skilled, but never will soar when constrained like this. The servers all appeared eager and invested. Chrystal, in particular, shone. The room is pleasant, even if overly brightly lit. The wine list is well priced, but very limited. Béarnaise sauce should be plentiful enough to be seen as well as tasted; it likely was a good sauce, but had melted into obscurity by service --some on the filet and a bit on the side would be nice. After all, it's only six freaking ounces. How much would it take?
In all, Marquis' is fine if you're tired, in the hotel, and want a good, acceptable meal. But few would drive even a few minutes for a repeat meal. Unless, of course, it's the top of the heap in Fayetteville.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Restaurant is convenient and it is really the only decent option in that part of the Fayetteville strip.
Breakfast options are good and we enjoyed them. Room service and dinner were only okay but filled my needs during my stay.

1  Thank JackieBG7