“The entire experience was wonderful!”

Taste of West Africa
Ranked #6 of 519 Restaurants in Fayetteville
Cuisines: African, Healthy
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Taste Of West Africa (TOWA) is a full service casual restaurant that serves healthy authentic West African cuisines prepared in a homemade style using fresh and local ingredients where possible. TOWA serves lunch and dinner and currently offers catering services for events of every size and budget. Are you vegan? Does your diet consist of gluten free dishes? Need dishes prepared free of dairy products? We can serve all dietary needs.
“The entire experience was wonderful!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

I found this gem searching for potential dinner spots online. I read the review and couldn't pass on the opportunity to experience it for myself. The atmosphere was great, the place was clean, the staff was friendly/professional and the food was AMAZING. There simply is nothing more to say! (I had the rice dish with oxtail and goat stew with spinach and yams and would do it all again!)

• Visited July 2014

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
“Take Your Tastebuds on an Exotic Trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

My husband and I had lunch here while we were visiting Fayetteville. He's not much of an adventurous eater, but I love trying new places.

The restaurant is rather small with a handful of booths and seating at the open kitchen bar. My husband had the chicken soup and I ordered the goat stew with jollof rice. I tried some of the chicken soup and it had a fresh, zesty taste. It was loaded with big chunks of chicken that were incredibly tender. I was thrilled with the goat stew and jollof rice. It was unlike anything I've eaten before and I'd order it again if we had gone back. The goat was flavorful and melted in your mouth. The rice was tasty as well.

The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful with explaining the various menu items. I always appreciate this as I have severe allergies to eggs and nuts and have to be careful when I eat at 'new' places. Give this place a try next time you're in town.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank BarbAndJohnB
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Driving from VA down to FL and stopped to try something new. Everyone (including all 4 kids) loved it. Beef and chicken stews melted in your mouth. Peanut soup was great. My youngest loved the FooFoo. We all loved the juices. Well worth the detour off of I-95.

1 Thank Matthew C
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Unique opportunity to try...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

We've traveled a lot & can't think of a time when we had the opportunity to try West African cooking so thanks to all who reviewed this restaurant before us. It is family operated. Mom is in the kitchen, daughters & granddaughter are there too. It's like having the privilege of eating in their home. Kitchen is IMMACULATE. Very small, not a lot of seating. We called in advance,
no reservations required. We had no issues with getting a table or parking. We told our waitress (daughter) we are new to the foods of West Africa so she made a few recommendations. The food is very clean and savory. Both our dishes were stew like with rice or rice & black eyed peas. My husband had beef, super tender chunks- a lot off food! I had spinach version w tofu. Vegans can eat here easily as they don't add the meats until u order. We shared a soup but it was too much food for us to finish. It was a gr8 experience & I am glad we had this opportunity to try.

1 Thank lbruna
Georgia
“Very tasty and unique restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

During a quick visit to Fayetteville, my family decided to try this restaurant after reading the reviews. The only African food we were familiar with were your Ethiopian restaurants, but this is quite different. We decided to order a bunch of plates and share them so we could try out the different options.

We started off with the peanut butter and pepper soups, both with chicken. While these might be appetizers, they are very big bowls - easily the equivalent of two normal soup bowls. Furthermore, they were full of meat - each had two full pieces of chicken plus likely some more. For dinner, we ordered the Mikata platter with goat and beef (this sampler has the jollof rice and waakye black eyed peas), the davi red-red bean stew, and the tornam spinach stew with fish. All of the food was very tasty and flavorful. Even our teens who can be a bit picky at times dove into these dishes. Serving sizes were generous and we brought home several containers of leftovers. While the serving staff were a bit slow getting us 4 sets of silverware/napkins for our booth, they were very helpful once asked. The bill was very reasonable considering the quality and quantity of food. Definitely worth seeking out if you are a bit adventurous.

• Visited June 2014
Dela C, Owner at Taste of West Africa, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you for the review. We are humbled by it. All the best.