“Wonderful food and atmosphere”
Review of Taste of West Africa - CLOSED

Taste of West Africa
Cuisines: African, Healthy
Description: Taste Of West Africa (TOWA) is a full service casual restaurant that serves healthy authentic West African cuisines prepared in a homemade style using fresh and local ingredients where possible. TOWA serves lunch and dinner and currently offers catering services for events of every size and budget. Are you vegan? Does your diet consist of gluten free dishes? Need dishes prepared free of dairy products? We can serve all dietary needs.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our family visited Taste of West Africa while passing through Fayetteville. What a great experience! The food was a welcome change from the usual fare, the prices were very reasonable, and the restaurant staff were genuinely friendly. We hope to stop here on many of our trips up and down I-95. It's well worth making the easy side trip.

1  Thank Lee M

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have been here multiple times, but it is excellent every time. I would go for the fish or oxtail stew, but there is a variety of stuff with different spices that you can try. The staff is very friendly and nice, and takes care to cook everything to their best, often offering samples of other food. You have to go to this place if you live in Fayetteville, it blows away a lot of the other downtown venues that rely only on their location and outdoor seating.

2  Thank RQTraveler
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I visited A Taste of West Africa on a Friday afternoon. I had the lunch special with chicken stew and my husband had oxtail. The special included a choice of rice (peas and rice, tomato rice or plain white rice) and a side of plantains. We both had the tomato rice. The meal was just delicious. The meats were fall-off-the-bone tender and very nicely seasoned, but not hot and spicy. We did get some of their hot sauce to add if we wanted, which we did. It was quite hot but very flavorful as well. The staff was friendly and the restaurant was clean and nicely appointed. There are several items on the menu that they suggest calling ahead for because they cook everything to order. We really enjoyed this meal and will be back with friends!

3  Thank Nemo5
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Never having West African cuisine before, or for that matter any African cuisine before I was hesitant but felt adventurous after reading such wonderful reviews here. Once 30 ft from the front door you know you are going to get the best meal you have had in a very long time. It was intoxicating! The Staff, (All Family), were the most friendliest people we have met ! Ok..the food...it was BEYOND delicious! Believe me i'm not one that rates every place I eat as terrific but I have to give it to them. I had the Oxtails and rice with plantains. The portion was huge and the taste "HEAVENLY". I chased my spicy, saucy morsels with a tall glass of Mango Juice. The best meal, atmosphere, service, value, I have found. I can't wait to go back. Love you guys!

1  Thank TruthfulTripper67
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Wow, we finally made it to Taste of West Africa restaurant in downtown Fayetteville, North Carolina last night. As an African, I was critical about the authenticity of the food. I went in with two other friends from other African nations to give it a try and they met our expectations big time. The food is very authentic and really homemade. I had Kebab, Jollof rice and goat meat. The meat very tender that anybody can enjoy. Goat meat is not burnt with the skin and chewy as most Africans would want but I like the tender meat. Jollof rice was well cooked, flavorful, and not greasy. I tried the spinach stew with yams and the Okra stew from my friends and I just can't stop talking about how good of a taste you can find in the food. The prices are fairly good for the kind of dishes they are serving. The place is very clean, lovely environment and the mango juice just sealed the appetite. Am surely going back with my date now that school is on break. Thank you all for taking me home...see you soon.

3  Thank Kwami B