“Miserable Stay”

Candlewood Suites Fayetteville
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Fayetteville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I don't know what I was thinking when I booked a stay in this hotel for a halfway point to Savannah, GA, because it was ten miles off the I-95 exit and had no restaurant. It was located in a strange place in downtown Fayetteville, sandwiched between a driving range, Harley Davidson and a sports bar with nothing else around. When I checked in, I found the clerk to be very friendly and courteous. I asked about their restaurant and was told the hotel did not have one and was referred to the one next door. It was also brought to my attention that they have a snack bar with food to purchase 24/7. The room, a "Queen Suite", was rather small with a fully stocked kitchenette. Everything was clean and the bed was rather comfortable. I had no problem getting online with their ethernet hookup and the large flatscreen had premium channels, so I was okay at this point. After I settled in, I googled the restaurant I was referred to next door and found, from another review site, that the sports bar was also considered a strip joint by the locals. Needless to say, I did not eat my dinner there. I instead opted to drive about a mile further into town where I found a nice selection of restaurants. When I returned to the hotel later to settle in for the evening, I discovered no exhaust fan in the bathroom or a/c fan to drown out the noise from the outside. When I tried to sleep, I could hear the person in the room above me walking around. The walking continued to the point that I ended up sleeping with my iPod earbuds on. I finally fell asleep about midnight only to wake up at 1:30 a.m. to the person still walking above me. It turned out to be one of the most miserable sleeping experiences I have ever had at any hotel. After dozing off and on until 4:00 in the morning, I gave up and got dressed. When I went down to check out, there was no one at the front desk so I left my key and used the ATM. On my way out the front door, I ran into the clerk who was standing outside smoking a cigarette. I was in the lobby long enough to be noticed, but she continued standing there smoking. When I saw her, she offered to go inside to print my receipt but I opted to continue on as I just wanted to get the hell out of there. I then made my way back through town and ten miles down the road to I-95 south. Even though the staff was very polite and friendly, and the hotel itself was clean, I will not be staying here in the future. On a scale of 1-10 of horrible stays, it was clearly an 8.

Room Tip: If you're driving the I-95 corridor, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Penelope N
Candlewood S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fayetteville, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear Patricia N.
We thank you for sharing your personal experience while visiting our hotel! Thank you for mentioning the friendliness of our staff, cleanliness of our rooms, well stocked kitchens and our nice selection of channels offered on our tv's. We do take pride in our hotel and are pleased these
made an impression on you!
Our hotel is NOT near I-95. We do not advertise being close to it. In the future, to make your travel stop easier, may we suggest exit #49. There are 17 hotels right there on that exit to choose from. Candlewood Suites do not have restaurants. That has always been a standard for all of them. We do not advertise having a restaurant, so are a little unsure why you expected one? We are actually located in the heart of the shopping and restaurant district. A very desirable location for our guests staying in this area.
We are so sorry your "upstairs" neighbor was so heavy footed! I travel a lot, and definitely understand how you feel about "outside noises" Here are a few tips I have picked up on my travels to help this: Roll a towel up and place it in front of the door base, helps drown out the door slams, I always put the fan on the AC in the "on" position, this will allow it to run constantly. I have even turned on the fan on the microwave (if so equipped) to create that white noise sound. And my best tip: There is an AP on the IPHONE specifically made for white noise! It is awesome and has worked for me many times...and it is FREE!
Our night auditor usually does take her break around 4am, and said she did see you at the ATM, but did not want to walk up on you until you were done :) And ITZ next door indeed is a restaurant/sports bar. Definitely not a strip club! We would never refer anyone to such an establishment! But, it is not for everyone, merely just a convenient option a lot of our guests love!
We do appreciate the good comments regarding the hotel it's self, and hope you r travels are always safe!!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

The hotel itself is wonderful, and it's the staff that makes it that way. Nesheia was very helpful in making me feel at home and making changes to my reservation. and bobby went above and beyond in helping me with my laptop and took the time to explain to me why my laptop was not opening my adobe files. Im not very computer savy and he didn't have to help, but he did! And the free laundry is a huge plus I have not seen at many hotels at all. I look forward to returning next month

Dear Jesmo804

We are so delighted that we have made your visit with us a GREAT experience! Thank you for your comments regarding Neshia and Bobby. They do a great job making sure they can help our guests in any way possible! They love what they do. We hope every visit with us is enjoyable and like you are "home away from home"
See you soon!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have stayed here 3 times and have been thoroughly impressed with the customer service, (Shauna, Candice and Neshia are great) and the accomodations on each visit. I was addressed by name and when I went to check out they knew who I was without asking my name. I highly recommend this Candlewood Suites location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear KR
We do believe GREAT service is something you have to deliver at all times. Thank you for choosing to stay with us each time you come to our area.
We hope to see you the next time you are in Fayetteville.
Travel Safe!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The check inn took forever (45 mins for 5 people at 2 in the morning), and the staff is rude...from the house cleaners to the manager. Stay somewhere else! House cleaning doesn't respect the do not disturb sign. Not only once, but twice. Coordinated a late checkout with front desk and didn't get passed on.

1  Thank Kylemy
Candlewood S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fayetteville, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Kyleme
thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We remember your group. Check out is indeed 11am. Housekeeping indeed did knock on your door at around 11:25. Front desk clerk indeed did call and verify you needed a late check out. Several others in your party did call the front desk and request a later check out. Unfortunately, we did not have you listed as a late check out. We are so sorry that you felt the staff was being "rude" by merely doing their jobs. I actually was there when the front desk clerk called you and verified with you that you needed to check out later. When you told housekeeping you needed a late check out, she called front desk. Front desk called you to make sure. That is all. Our OP's Manager also spoke with you.
We know you had a very long day, and what you do can be stressful, and again we apologize that you felt anyone was "rude" I can assure you, our staff is here to make sure our guest's are taken care of at all times, and sometimes, we may indeed need to call you to make sure your requests are met.
I actually talked to a few of your group when waiting for the van, and they all said they enjoyed their stay, even for the short amount of time they were here. We are sorry yours wasn't enjoyed as much :( Believe me.... if you were here more than 9 hours, you would LOVE us!! Maybe next time~
Thank you for what you do and we appreciate your service!! Always be safe!

Adam K. Collier

Reviewed September 9, 2012

The room was clean, the front desk staff are kind, friendly, and helped out with everything. Bobby was a real trooper he helped me out when I locked my keys in the car he drove me to the ATM to pay the locksmith when his shift replacement came.

Dear KCJ92
We are always glad to hear a GREAT review, but yours was even better! Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay with us! Our entire TEAM tries to make sure each one of our guest's needs are addressed quickly and efficiently. Bobby is definitely one that exceeds those expectations!
We are so happy you and your family enjoyed your stay, even with the few obstacles you had with your keys :(
Thank you again and Travel Safe!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

The customer service at the Hotel is the best . Candice, Neshia, Bobby, and Shauna made me fill right at home. I stayed there for 3 months and they had all you needed . Each room have a full kitchen, They have a laundry facilities , and a gym. I felled like home away from home and that what you need when you stay there for as long as I did.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear Pixiehh
Thank you so much for your recent review! We do appreciate you taking the time to share with us~~ Our TEAM members pride themselves on delivering GREAT customer service. They understand the importance of making sure our guest's feel like they are home away from home! We are delighted the amenities in our rooms made your long term visit with us enjoyable and more like being at home.
Please travel safe and we hope to see you the next time you are in our area!

Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here while making our way to northern Virginia from Florida. The location seemed off the beaten path (it's about 10 miles from I-95 north) but you don't come back the way you came if you're continuing north and there's an extension that delivers you north on 95 from where you exited so it works out. The customer service desk was very nice and check in was easy. The only thing that iratated me was when she asked why I was in town. I know she was trying to be friendly however I'm sure some people don't want to discuss it for a variety of reasons. Our room was very nice and the full kitchen with granete countertops was perfect for our needs. There is a bar next door that does take out (the front desk has their number and a menu) and their wings are very good. The hotel was extremely quiet which was great and it had a lot of tv channels which was perfect for a child who had been stuck in the car all day. The neighborhood is a little weird but it is safe and the price with a AAA discount was about $119 so all-in-all it was a nice place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012
Candlewood S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fayetteville, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear GK95,
Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience you encountered while staying at the Candlewood Suites Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg.
We are so happy you had a GREAT visit with us. We love hearing our guest's comments and appreciate the suggestions and helpful comments for others.
We are glad you enjoyed the restaurant located in ITZ entertainment complex. There food is really good. We are glad you felt safe and secure while staying with us and that our customer service was above standard!!
We hope to see you the next time you come to visit our area.
Travel Safe~~