“Very disappointing”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Goldsboro, North Carolina
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

My wife and I had made plans with friends to make our first trip to Southern Exposure.
Our 30 minute drive was spent talking about the menu and what we were all going to try when we arrived.We walked into the restauarant at 7:00 and were seated at 7:15. Someone came and said she would take our drink order until our waitress could get caught up and come to take our food orders. I ask her if I could place an appetizer order, and she said yes. We recieved our drinks at 7:30, nothing else. No bread basket or anything. In fact we never saw our waitress again, we did get refils on our drinks by another staff person. No appetizer, no salads, nothing. Never a visit to the table by the manager or whom I assume was the owner. At 8:20 we decided since we weren't going to be served we should go, so we did. And the four of us have agreed we will not be making a second trip to Southern exposure. Unfortunately our first impressions are our last, we never got a chance to review the food. For the price they charge for the food you would think the service would have been second to none.

• Visited February 2011
5 Thank brow4242

Faison, North Carolina
“My steak was overcooked. Owner asked us to never return.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

I was treated with extreme rudeness by the owner after my mother's medium well steak arrived more than well done. When I sent the steak back, the owner came over and spoke to me as if I had done something wrong. In fact, she asked me not to come back into her restaurant if I was going to "complain" about the food. The owner appeared to believe that the customer is always wrong, not vice versa. I have to say that I was pretty shocked when she asked us to never come back -- one would think that you'd try to be nice to the people paying your bills. Pretty basic economics. Don't go to this restaurant, unless you wanna get cussed out by the owner.

8 Thank neeta14
Clinton, North Carolina
“Worth the trip off the beaten path!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

Warm southern hospitality, quaint and charming, come as you are...or dressed up...either way, it is a delightful end to the day! The food is beautifully plated, and ohhhh soooo delicious! Worth the trip for good service as well!
Clinton, NC

Raleigh
“excellent food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

I had the tenderloin-it was very tender and tasty. The potatoes were whipped just right. The place was charming. Service excellent. I will go again.

Raleigh
“GENTILE and SOUTHERN WITH SUBTLE FLAIR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2009

LOGISTICS
It's on a corner of Main Street about a block east of the main crossroad in downtown Faison. The N&O paper in Raleigh named it with others as a good restaurant enroute to the beaches if travelling I-40. PHONE: [--]. CLOSED MONDAYS; OPEN SUNDAYS

FOOD
Exceptional. Carefully prepared, not overfilled plates; just really good food. I was there (on the way back from the beach) for dinner. Had a nicely-flavored and correctly cooked porkchop with vegetables and potato. The fried green tomatoes -- they were fabulous.
Pie for dessert was OK. Next time, I'll get an appeitizer instead of dessert. I'm not a big dessert eater anyway. but split it with my dinner companion.

DECOR
So nice to sit down to an upscale restaurant after paper plates and plastic forks at the beach. Soft lighting, tables nicely spaced and very nice booths. Dress casual.

1 Thank wordmobile