“Disappointment”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Kinston, North Carolina, United States
“Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had six adults. It was the first time for me. I had heard of the food, bar and menu. Food was good. I had the bone in pork chop. I recommend that but, I had a stroke in 2008 which affected my right side. My wife ask if the chef could cut my pork chop for me. When it got served, the waitress said, "they were to busy to cut it up for me". My wife had cut it up for me. Oh well. Our bill was $150. They won't to busy to take money. If you have a special need, they are to busy.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Reb L

Bolivia, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A hidden gem in Faison”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

A surprise about 3 miles off I-40 about half way between Raleigh and Wilmington. Didn't expect much considering the area but a very quaint little place with unexpected good food, good menu and nice wine list. Very good and prompt service. Will be back.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank dblack9
“Poor service but great food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Service was VERY slow, they were out of a few wine selections, but the food was excellent. Very surprised to find the quality and presentation in such a rural environment. If the service was better (more attentive, polite, not as slow to check on us), I could see this becoming more than what it currently is. I was told they have been in business for 9 years. Sad to see the customer volume fair at best. The quality and taste should keep a line of customers out the door every night, but I can see the lacking customer service skills keeping return visits minimal.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Jeroniho
Faison, North Carolina
“Written up in Our State (NC), mentioned in Southern Living, Raleigh News and Observer, etc.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Here are the facts: I've traveled to nearly all 50 states and all the big cities in the US and in Canada and eaten ethnic and regional foods of all kinds along the way. I've eaten my way through all the major cities of Europe over and over, and been to the gastronomic capitals of the world. So not to brag, but my palate can tell the difference between excellent and mediocre foods. S.E. makes the cut for excellent food and fine service in a pleasant atmosphere. And in the 8+ years they have been open, and after spending 7k plus with them over the years (just two of us...so that is a lots of meals!), it is obvious I'm more than a casual food critic. The specials are always top notch (the fresh fish is my favorite), and the soups.....well I just think they need to start their own line and go national. They are always exceptional. The crabcakes are the best I've eaten....just ask my friend from Spain, who tried in vain in one of her trips to America to find a decent crabcake in an upscale restaurant in NY and one in Atlanta. She finally found herself in bliss after eating the ones at SE. As far as the few criticisms of this restaurant are concerned, I noticed several were clustered together in terms of the review date....obviously an orchestrated campaign by either an unfortunate and rare poor experience, or else by a jerk and their friends or maybe even a disgruntled employee. It is obvious some locals in this rural town (population 975) do not dine out at higher end restaurants often, because they seem either unaware of regional pricing of high quality food, or think they should be dining at a slop house all-you-can-eat buffet, where they ring a bell like a cattle call to alert the patrons of the "fresh" mass produced garbage that passes for good food to the average American. There is not a better restaurant anywhere near this town that can compete. There are only 3 places places within 50 miles I know of that have similar top trained chefs (in fairness they are great too). This restaurant, along with those, appeared in a 2012 Raleigh News and Observer feature story on the rise of upscale restauarants in rural NC and their utilization of locally grown produce and meats: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/28/2225080/eat-well-in-eastern-north-carolina.html
This restauarant is well worth a try. One recommendation is to arrive early to get the specials. They use only the best ingredients and as in all good restaurants demand sometimes exceeds supply. (Disclaimer: I have no financal interest in this or any other local business...just a desire to see good local restaurants succeed).

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank F00djunke
Memphis, Tennessee
“Lovely dinner in a very relaxing environment.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a wonderful meal here while visiting family in the area. Everything was amazing. Beautiful atmosphere and service was top notch. The shrimp pasta was especially enjoyed by our youngest daughter. Oldest daughter and I shared the fillet with the Mac n' cheese...to borrow from Rachel Ray, Yum-O!!!

• Visited July 2013