“Above average for Duplin County”
Review of Southern Exposure - CLOSED

Southern Exposure
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2012

There are not many restaurants in Duplin county to even compare. I feel that Southern Exposure does have some quality items to choose from but their specials are hit or miss. Don't try to go late as quality declines as the evening passes. The service is mediocre as a whole. Dining room is very open. They do have a wine list. If you put this restaurant in Wilmington it would not stand up to similar priced dining, however, in Duplin county it is a refreshing change to the normal eateries.

2  Thank Kurt_on_the_go

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Small resturant in Faison , N.C. went with local family...Salad mostly Iceburg Lettuce...little cheese and a cucumber...Steak was fatty...Collards were definitely not Souther Cooked...Quite disapointed

3  Thank patsy4134
Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

I grew up 3 miles from Faison and was delighted that an upscale restaurant opened in the land of fast food and buffets. My wife and I took my mom there for Mother's Day brunch, and other than a 45 minute wait when told it would only be "a few minutes", we were very pleased. They do not take reservations unless you have a large party. This place is such a departure from the fried food and BBQ typically found in these parts. We all had the Mother's Day feature which was a salad, pork tenderloin with mashed potatoes and broccolini, dessert, and drink for $12--outstanding value! The pork was tender and came with a very tasty sauce. This was the first time I have eaten broccolini and wished there was more than just the 2 sprigs as it was pretty darn good. We were very pleased with the service and the quality of the food and will definitely return.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Was driving through and the map showed this with 4 stars and was in an adventurous mood...
Not sure where they get "Southern" in the name. It's misleading. Very. Don't expect a good ol' southern home cooked meal here. Other thoughts of southern? Mexican? Not here.

ATMOSPHERE: Very open dining room. Nothing worth writing about. Bla.

SERVICE: Hostest was first impression and gave a good one, but our server was inexperienced and lacked skill, and although polite, she lacked common social courtesies and confidence. She was slow to attend us initially, but did apologize. She was thereafter attentive, but just not up to par of that what one would expect when paying $14-$37 per entre.

FOOD: Salads: Good greens, a tomatoe and 3 croutons. Very sparce. I was hungry and love a good salad, so this was a disappointment

Entrees:
Roasted Roma Spaghettini ($14) My female dining partner really enjoyed the sauce in this and the pasta, but is not a veggie lover. I tasted the (canned) artichoke heartss and arugula and thought it was very good. The quantity was adequate, but if a large hungry man ordered this, he'd be disappointed.
Grilled Sterling Farms Beef Filet Mignon ($29) Was tough around edges, but flavorful. My expectations were high seeing the menu and online reviews. I was hoping for Spark's, Morton's, Ruth's Chris quality. It was good, but not worth the $29. It came with a sprig or two of broccolini, wish there was more. It was simply steamed, fresh, and al dente. I actually ordered this entre instead of the steak salad. I wanted a hot meal, but the salad included more veggies and had potatoes in it as well, but the waitress told me this entree came with mashed potatoes. I was excited and looking forward to some good Southern mashed potatoes. They were watery and tasted of boxed potatoes. I'm not a high maintanence customer and only mentioned it when I was done and there was that pile of mashed still sitting there. I wasn't looking for a hand out or discount, but just wanted to share my thoughts as she had asked. She took the plates and returned after talking to the chef to tell me they were not boxed. Whatever.
Prices need to come down to match what and how they are serving.
They still need to change their name or make the menu match the name.

2  Thank elilbitz
Reviewed May 4, 2012

the food in there was gret the workers where nice and helpful i wish the place in a better location