All reviewsstately homegreat bedcozy bearnext morningthe outer banksdelicious courseswayneaccommodations
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We had a lovely stay at Bellamy B&B. The house and gardens are simply beautiful. Suzann and Wayne were welcoming and gracious and the food is to die for -- the best part is, Wayne is willing to share his culinary secrets! We enjoyed getting to know the other couples over breakfast and will have very fond memories of our stay for years to come.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Although we chose the Bellamy Manor because it was equidistant to the places my husband and I (and our daughter and her boyfriend) wanted to explore during our holiday break, we didn't realize how lovely and gracious the setting and hospitality would be.

Driving up the roadway to this stately home reminded me of Tara from "Gone With The Wind." It is a magnificent home and staying here is going back in history, to a simpler time, with camellia gardens and walking paths, birds chirping and distant sound of the train rambling by.

Our hosts, Wayne and Suzanne were warm and friendly, eager to get us settled comfortably in our rooms. Because stairs are difficult for me, we chose the Wicklow Garden Oasis which was on the ground floor and it was delightful. The room was beautifully decorated with luxurous drapes and bed linens and had a love sofa as well. The antique bed was very comfy and the pillows were very fluffy. It even had a tv which we didn't turn on, because the room felt so calm and peaceful, we didn't want to let the outside world in. My daughter's room, the Legends room, was equally charming, with veranda outside their window,

But best of all, was the morning breakfast! Eggs and the best sausages I've ever had, grits, yogurt, pancakes,- the menu varied, but was delicious every day. And if you're a tea drinker, you'll be delighted! Suzann makes tea the Irish way, scalding the pot first with hot water before pouring in the water and tea and then steeping it for five minutes.

Suzanne and Wayne shared all the history of this 1730 house as well as the local history of the area, pointing out must see attractions and giving us discount coupons for the area. After a day of trekking around in Raleigh, we enjoyed relaxing in the evening in the great room with its many sofas and crackling fireplace. We will definitely come and stay again.

Room Tip: Every room is a good room,
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2011

When we made our reservations with our vacation deal, the rooms offered through the program (the Chinoiserie Room and the Vieuz Carre Room) weren't available so Suzann assured me that the Wicklow Garden Oasis Room was comparable so I reserved that room. When we got there, Wayne greeted us warmly and showed us to our room. Our initial reaction to the house and room was a good one. However, when we saw the Wicklow Garden Oasis bathroom, we were shocked; it was like an old Super 8 motel bathroom: tiny, not renovated and dingy - definitely NOT comparable to the other rooms. And then when you get to the bed in the room - it's a full, not a king like the other rooms have and it was one of the hardest beds we've ever slept on with low quality sheets. That night was not a pleasant one. We probably had the worst sleep of our lives and my back actually went out on me two days later due to the bed.

The next day, thankfully Suzann moved us into the Manor Legacy room (why we weren't offered that open room to begin with, we don't know) and we would've had a much better sleep the next night if not for Suzann coming in that night and cranking the heat up. I woke up at 2am sweating and had to go out into the hall to lower the thermostat down from 73 to a more comfortable 70. The breakfasts were good, but not the best we've had compared to other bed and breakfasts we've been to. Wayne and Suzann are great hosts but we felt that after running the place a year, things should've run a bit more smoothly. The first morning, we didn't get anything to drink until after the 2nd course was brought out and then the 2nd morning drinks were on the table but I waited until end of breakfast for tea. Also, at checkout when I went to pay for our tax on the room, they were out of paper for their machine and she couldn't tell me if the credit card went through. She didn't think it did and told me, "Oh well." Well, thankfully she didn't run it again because it had gone through as evidenced from our credit card statement.

Another concern was the fact that your doors do not have locks so you can't lock your room door and then at night the house is left unlocked - a safety concern since the owners don't sleep there at night. I'm sure they haven't had problems yet, but it's only a matter of time, so that is a major issue that should be addressed.

Overall, the house is beautiful and the upstairs rooms with renovated bathrooms are luxurious and worth the price, but I find it weird that they charge the same amount for the Wicklow Garden room when it is not even close to the other rooms as far as comfort and luxury finishes go. We think that Wayne and Suzann are nice people, but there are a few issues they need to address before we'd feel comfortable recommending the place to others. Stay with them if you can stay in one of the upstairs rooms and if you don't mind unlocked doors everywhere. The food is decent and the hosts are friendly. If I could go back in time, I would have just reserved another weekend and got one of the nice rooms for the 2 night stay and stayed far away from the Wicklow Garden Oasis room because my back was out on me for 2 painful weeks - not fun.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Wicklow Garden Oasis room - the other rooms are luxurious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank writtenbyheidi
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Bellamy Manor and are thinking already of going back.
Bellamy Manor is beautiful and comfortable and Suzann and Wayne are friendly and gracious hosts. Less than 2 hour drive from Durham, Enfield is a great rural NC getaway. The drive itself was an aesthetic pleasure especially once we were off the main highway and were able to slow down and absorb the hum of the road and long views of the fields. I was taken by the beauty of the cotton fields at this time of year. The plants have withered but sport little puffs of cotton waiting to be picked. Acre upon Acre of white clouds are beautiful to see and it is interesting to glimpse the process of cotton cultivation. The idea that the soft cotton balls and fabrics that I know, come bursting out of prickly plants like they do is amazing. I’m from the north and did not grow up with cotton fields. We had our camera with us yet we did not take one photo while we were there, I was too busy just drinking it all in with my own eyes and senses. Early November is an excellent season for visiting Enfield and I would recommend this time of year and this place to others.
a great time in Enfield! Thank you

Room Tip: the red room has a soaking tub, the blue room has a shower built for two.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Wayne and Suzann are wonderful hosts and have a BEAUTIFUL home. It is easy to feel right at home with all the cozy furniture, especially the library. The rooms have such wonderful charm and have been nicely updated. Breakfast was amazing and left us stuffed for hours. They were knowledgeable of the area and suggested a great restaurant in Tarboro, On the Square. The hike in Medoc Mt. State Park was scenic, especially with the leaves turning. You will have no trouble relaxing at Bellamy and will enjoy the owners!

Room Tip: The Jacuzzi tub was a great addition!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple