“Great view and good seafood”
Review of Bushwackers - CLOSED

Bushwackers
Reviewed January 13, 2012

If you didn't have to penetrate the pier fishermen, this would be the ideal restaurant for seafood at the beach. Unfortunately, you do and it can be somewhat freightening to park in the parking lot and wade through the pickup trucks and fisherman who seem to only come out at night. Once you get into the restaurant, you will find a pleasant restaurant that needs some money spent upfitting the decor. But the food makes up for anything else. Always go with the catch of the day. Those fish have not been frozen and really fresh fish tastes completely different than frozen fish. They offer a wide variety of seafood and it has always -- always -- been good.

Reviewed August 18, 2011

This is the only restaurant we could find in EI with waterfront dining. OMG! How is that possible!!!

When we walked in, it was like being transported back in time. What year is it Bushwackers? I’m guessing the 70s? The place has really cheesy safari décor, brace yourself. Any wood paneling.

So we had to sit at the bar bc there was actually a wait here – shocking. The bartender was really nice and our food was decent (fish was fresh, but the presentation was soooooo underwhelming). The prices were super high for this place, so be prepared for that if you decide to go anyway.

If I could do it all again, I would skip this place. The only reason I'm giving two stars is that it didn't make us sick and the bartender was nice.

1  Thank BostoSD
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We visited here just a few days ago on a recent beach vacation. We were driving around not really sure where we wanted to go, and we just kind of wound up here. I checked the menu before going in, and they had something I wanted to try, so we went in.

First of all, yes, you may catch a fishy smell while you are still outside. That's because it restaurant is connected to an operational pier. It was not overpowering (and I'm 5 months pregnant and hate fish smells anyway), and it was only for a very brief amount of time. On top of that, it didn't have anything to do with the restaurant.

Another thing to know is that this is a dive. It's got some pretty cheesy animal print decor, it's dark and a bit small. But as long as the sanitation rating is good (they have an A), then I don't mind dives at all. The biggest downside to this dive was the teeny tiny restroom. I just kept hoping my daughter didn't have to go while we were there. It was difficult to maneuver in there for sure.

The food. I ordered a crab meat and boiled shrimp salad. I love this particular combo. And yes, like another reviewer, there was a tiny bit of shell in my crab meat. But that's very common when crab meat is separated by hand. In fact, this was one of the rare places I've been where I've ordered something with loose crab meat and there wasn't a notice on the menu that there could be shell in the meat. I wouldn't want it/expect it in my crab cake, but this was different. Overall, the salad was tasty, the right temperature and the right portion.

We had the waitress with the tongue piercing and long fingernails. I thought she just fit right in with the entire feel of the place. She was nice and attentive, and she actually put an expedite on our order because we had young kids. Our food came out much faster than expected.
My husband and son both ordered fried fish. My son had the children's clam strips, and my husband had a combo of shrimp and clam strips. My husband is a big eater, but the portion was more than he could eat. Same with my son.

We were also glad to see the children's menu was pretty bit. We had been to a much nicer place earlier in the day, and their menu only had 4 options. Bushwacker's had a rather extensive children's menu, which is great when your child is on the upper end of the range!

2  Thank elizs77
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Very average food that is unbelievably over priced. A basic burger and fries ran me 10 bucks and that was with only water as my drink. The service was slow. Our young waitress kept coming over and slowly asking if we wanted anything else while she eyed our table. I finally guessed she must have lost our ticket and was trying to re create it without being too obvious. The bill for 3 of us was about 60 bucks for very average grub. Oh but we did have a good view of the nasty and disgusting bogue pier while we ate.

2  Thank hermit
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Listen to the reviews. I checked the reviews before going here to eat. I was hoping that Bushwhackers had improived. THEY HAVEN'T. We were leery ordering the calimari for an appetizer. It wasn't crispy upon arrival I was hoping it was cooked all the way. My husband ordered the combination platter fried, clams were extremely salty. I ordered the combination platter broiled shrimp, scallops, flounder. Shrimp was bland but cooked. Scallops,bland half were cooked. Flounder if that was what it was, was discusting. I took one bite swallowed, and was like did I taste this right, second bite I new it was funky. My somach started rolling. As we were getting ready to leave. We made it a mile down the road before I heaved up $30, my husband made it 2 mile heaving up another $30. Save your money. On the service, Waitress was ok but the long acrylic nails and tongue piercing was a bit disttracting. Restaurant need to be overhauled from bathrooms, decor, staff appearance, fire the cooks there is no chef!

3  Thank georgiachef