“Excellent location. We will stay here again!”

Islander Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Emerald Isle
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I just got home from my first trip to the Islander. I had a wonderful time and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for more than just a standard hotel room right on the beach. I stayed for two night with my husband and two sons (ages 7 and 10) in a Seaside suite. The space was great for us. The separation of the living room and bedroom areas gave us room to relax without being in each other's way. The large sectional in the living room was very comfortable. Even though it was a sleeper sofa, my sons slept on either end of the sectional and had plenty of room without opening it into a sofa bed. Our room did not have its own balcony, but there were four very nice deck chairs in the common are near our room. We had no trouble getting seats there to sit and read and enjoy the ocean view. The pool area was lovely. It had the feel of a real resort with the pool overlooking the ocean. The cabanas filled up fast, but we got there early one morning when plenty of good spots were still available.

We will definitely come back. This place was great for three days. A whole week wouldn't work, since there is not a full kitchen. For a few days though, it was perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the south side of the hotel. Those rooms face a volleyball court and a parking lot...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank AnitaNo
islanderei, Front Office Manager at Islander Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel itself and the convenience of our location. I hope you will stay with us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Islander Inn & Suites

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Basic hotel - yes, things are not perfect, but I think they do the best they can. Best place on the beach for your buck. Confusing because it's owned by a rental company but still independent - so you don't know who to talk to about things. We would go back.

Room Tip: Only pick the oceanfront rooms:-)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Smalltownfoodcritic

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel itself and the convenience of our location. I hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My friends & I went to Emerald Isle for a week. I booked the standard room (Two double beds) a month ahead of time. The hotel looks great on the outside and the pool is clean & good size. In pictures, a standard room has tile flooring & looks as though it has new furniture. They lied. Our room was carpeted & the couch/table were old. The beds are hard & the sheets are rough. The room had a moldy odor.
We woke up at 10am & came back to the room around 8-9pm, always leaving the "Please Clean Room" sign on the door. The cleaning ladies only cleaned our room ONCE (1st day)!!!! The 3rd day I asked one of the women if she could clean our room because there was sand on the beds & we needed more towels. She was smoking in back of the stairs & said she would. BUT NEVER DID!!! I went to reception but she never did anything & said the staff had to clean a lot of rooms & didn't have time for all of them!!! Every time I saw the cleaning ladies, they were gossiping & smoking together - Not cleaning rooms! I asked them all again & one laughed & said she was on break. They were RUDE & LAZY! They did NOT care about the guests at all or anything to do with the hotel!!
PROS: Nice & clean pool. Great beach location
CONS: Old, Mold-smelling rooms. Horrible room service. Hard/Uncomfortable Beds & sheets, Staff didn't care at all when it came to the guests
The only person that was nice & helpful was the male receptionist. He gave us new sheets, towels, & pillows.
WOMEN: if you are looking for a drama-free vacation & no attitude from strangers, this is NOT the place. My friends & I were treated horribly.

Next time, we would rather spend more money if it means that people will care about the well being of their guests & cleanliness of the rooms. Not Coming Back!!!!

Room Tip: Women: Do yourself a favor & look somewhere else especially if you have kids.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Giorgio C

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am so glad that you found the location so convenient. I am sorry about the issues in your room. I will address these with housekeeping. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Islander. The outside of the motel is in good repair, is neat and clean. The grounds, the walkways, and the pool area are well kept. The rooms have what looks like fresh paint and crown moulding. Newer carpeting and tile. The kitchenette has nice, new looking cabinets, sink, countertop, and the mini fridge, microwave, and coffee pot are fairly good quality. The closet is very small, about 36" wide and 24" deep. The bathroom is small as well. The water pressure is not very good in the shower, and the toilet was slow to flush. The room we stayed in was clean. Housekeeping was very late some days, but they did a good job. Was a little disappointed with the bedding. Older style tropical print thin bedspreads. Bed and sheets were fairly good. The room we were in had no folding luggage racks, but there was a large dresser for clothes.
Nice areas outside of rooms to sit and relax. Ice machine, drinks, snack machine, washer and dryer on both floors. Sundries shop in the office area. Nice views, perfect beach location. Was very quiet where we were. Pool area has very nice lounge chairs. The cabanas along one side, tables with chairs and umbrella on the other side. Good sized pool, 3 ft. deep to 9 ft. deep on the far end. Motel also has computer area and free wi-fi.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank J R

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We left early due to filthy room and sheets with brown marks and crumbs in the bed. Staff could care less. The room smelled moldy and the couch was filthy. Waste of money to stay here! Tried to get a refund for the second night but as mentioned staff did not care.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Penny S

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked a very last-minute room at the Islander for a quick overnight beach trip with my husband. Having read a number of reviews, some positive and some downright scary, I wasn't sure what we'd find. Here's a run-down of our experience that I hope will help others in that situation.

Pros:

Great customer service during booking (I booked through the on-line live chat and the rep, Christy, was extremely professional, helpful and courteous).

Great location just steps from the beach.

Very nice pool and deck area. We traveled without our kids, but would return again with them just for the beach and pool set-up.

Spacious, clean room with soft, comfy bed. Bathroom was a typical small motel bathroom - shower, toilet, plenty of towels and complimentary toiletries. Definitely not a "luxury" hotel, but really, I don't get how people can complain about a clean, fresh-smelling room with a fridge, microwave, table and chairs, hair dryer, iron, room to move around and a minute from the ocean for $169. As far as all the complaints about not having an ocean view, we were in one of the budget rooms (232) and while we were not "overlooking" the beach, we could clearly view the ocean from our large window. Yes, it looks out on the parking area, but again - if you come to a beach-front motel to sit in your room, how badly do you want to enjoy the beach?!

Short trip to restaurants and grocery stores by car, or a nice walk if you don't mind a mile round-trip.

Convenient ice and vending machines close to pool and rooms, also a coin-op washer and dryer in vending area which is a big plus on a trip with little ones, or for more than a couple of days.

Comfortable common areas outdoors to sit and have morning coffee or a cold one and watch the sun set.

Busy but not loud or invasive. We were there at the end of the 4th of July weekend, and on Saturday it was packed, pool as well as beach, but we still got in a couple of hours before check-in at 3, parked with no problems and were not bothered by noise that evening/night. By Sunday a lot of the crowd had moved on and we had a lovely beach day after checking out around 10.

Cons:

The bathroom was showing wear and tear, particularly tub grouting, and the shower curtain liner needed to be replaced. The toilet flushed a little sluggishly, as other reviewers mentioned, but it did flush! There is not sink in the bathroom, also mentioned by others, but it's a foot away, outside the bathroom door in the kitchenette. We rinsed out suits and had no issue with tooth-brushing there (mirrored back wall in kitchenette, so what's the big deal?)

Surrounding the motel are other hotels and an RV park, waterpark and "bumper boats". Is this a pro, or a con? It's up to you. I can't imagine why it would be an issue for anyone expecting to have a low-key casual beach getaway. In fact, if you have kids and are staying more than a day or two, some recreation besides the beach within easy walking distance would be a fantastic option. Just mentioning it because I read other reviews before we booked and some seemed to feel the presence of "trailers" was somehow problematic.

Summary:

The Islander Inn is a clean, very well-located, reasonably-priced beach motel with more than adequate amenities for a casual beach trip.

We love fancy luxury hotels for a special romantic getaway, and there are those options in the area if you want to spend twice the money or more. That's not what we were looking for, and it's not what you will get here. But you will get a clean room right on the beach with everything you need to enjoy a casual beach/pool getaway with kids or without.

Room Tip: We were in room 232. The rooms closer to the beach are the higher numbers. There are beach-facing su...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Alexis3000

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was in a nice location and loved the access to the beach. However, there definitely needs to be an improvement in the cleanliness department. There were little bugs flying all over the room. The bathroom floor hadn't been swept. The carpet hadn't been vacuumed. The beds had strands of hair on them. The microwave had a strand of hair in it. The shower/tub was moldy and gross. This room certainly was not worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank beachgirlra

Also consider these accommodations in or near Emerald Isle
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
#3 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
#2 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Swansboro / near Camp Lejeune at Bear Creek Gate
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
#1 of 5 in Morehead City

Been to Islander Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!