“Great location, nice place to stay.”

Islander Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Emerald Isle
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Islander. The outside of the motel is in good repair, is neat and clean. The grounds, the walkways, and the pool area are well kept. The rooms have what looks like fresh paint and crown moulding. Newer carpeting and tile. The kitchenette has nice, new looking cabinets, sink, countertop, and the mini fridge, microwave, and coffee pot are fairly good quality. The closet is very small, about 36" wide and 24" deep. The bathroom is small as well. The water pressure is not very good in the shower, and the toilet was slow to flush. The room we stayed in was clean. Housekeeping was very late some days, but they did a good job. Was a little disappointed with the bedding. Older style tropical print thin bedspreads. Bed and sheets were fairly good. The room we were in had no folding luggage racks, but there was a large dresser for clothes.
Nice areas outside of rooms to sit and relax. Ice machine, drinks, snack machine, washer and dryer on both floors. Sundries shop in the office area. Nice views, perfect beach location. Was very quiet where we were. Pool area has very nice lounge chairs. The cabanas along one side, tables with chairs and umbrella on the other side. Good sized pool, 3 ft. deep to 9 ft. deep on the far end. Motel also has computer area and free wi-fi.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank J R
islanderei, Front Office Manager at Islander Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We left early due to filthy room and sheets with brown marks and crumbs in the bed. Staff could care less. The room smelled moldy and the couch was filthy. Waste of money to stay here! Tried to get a refund for the second night but as mentioned staff did not care.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Penny S

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am so glad that you found the location so convenient. I am sorry about the issues in your room. I will address these with housekeeping. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked a very last-minute room at the Islander for a quick overnight beach trip with my husband. Having read a number of reviews, some positive and some downright scary, I wasn't sure what we'd find. Here's a run-down of our experience that I hope will help others in that situation.

Pros:

Great customer service during booking (I booked through the on-line live chat and the rep, Christy, was extremely professional, helpful and courteous).

Great location just steps from the beach.

Very nice pool and deck area. We traveled without our kids, but would return again with them just for the beach and pool set-up.

Spacious, clean room with soft, comfy bed. Bathroom was a typical small motel bathroom - shower, toilet, plenty of towels and complimentary toiletries. Definitely not a "luxury" hotel, but really, I don't get how people can complain about a clean, fresh-smelling room with a fridge, microwave, table and chairs, hair dryer, iron, room to move around and a minute from the ocean for $169. As far as all the complaints about not having an ocean view, we were in one of the budget rooms (232) and while we were not "overlooking" the beach, we could clearly view the ocean from our large window. Yes, it looks out on the parking area, but again - if you come to a beach-front motel to sit in your room, how badly do you want to enjoy the beach?!

Short trip to restaurants and grocery stores by car, or a nice walk if you don't mind a mile round-trip.

Convenient ice and vending machines close to pool and rooms, also a coin-op washer and dryer in vending area which is a big plus on a trip with little ones, or for more than a couple of days.

Comfortable common areas outdoors to sit and have morning coffee or a cold one and watch the sun set.

Busy but not loud or invasive. We were there at the end of the 4th of July weekend, and on Saturday it was packed, pool as well as beach, but we still got in a couple of hours before check-in at 3, parked with no problems and were not bothered by noise that evening/night. By Sunday a lot of the crowd had moved on and we had a lovely beach day after checking out around 10.

Cons:

The bathroom was showing wear and tear, particularly tub grouting, and the shower curtain liner needed to be replaced. The toilet flushed a little sluggishly, as other reviewers mentioned, but it did flush! There is not sink in the bathroom, also mentioned by others, but it's a foot away, outside the bathroom door in the kitchenette. We rinsed out suits and had no issue with tooth-brushing there (mirrored back wall in kitchenette, so what's the big deal?)

Surrounding the motel are other hotels and an RV park, waterpark and "bumper boats". Is this a pro, or a con? It's up to you. I can't imagine why it would be an issue for anyone expecting to have a low-key casual beach getaway. In fact, if you have kids and are staying more than a day or two, some recreation besides the beach within easy walking distance would be a fantastic option. Just mentioning it because I read other reviews before we booked and some seemed to feel the presence of "trailers" was somehow problematic.

Summary:

The Islander Inn is a clean, very well-located, reasonably-priced beach motel with more than adequate amenities for a casual beach trip.

We love fancy luxury hotels for a special romantic getaway, and there are those options in the area if you want to spend twice the money or more. That's not what we were looking for, and it's not what you will get here. But you will get a clean room right on the beach with everything you need to enjoy a casual beach/pool getaway with kids or without.

Room Tip: We were in room 232. The rooms closer to the beach are the higher numbers. There are beach-facing su...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Alexis3000

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was in a nice location and loved the access to the beach. However, there definitely needs to be an improvement in the cleanliness department. There were little bugs flying all over the room. The bathroom floor hadn't been swept. The carpet hadn't been vacuumed. The beds had strands of hair on them. The microwave had a strand of hair in it. The shower/tub was moldy and gross. This room certainly was not worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank beachgirlra

I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I am giving this place a 3 star rating because while it is one of the best options in this area as hotel/motel properties go, it still has some drawbacks compared to beachfront hotels in general. The Island on which you find Emerald Isle, Pine Knoll Shores, Indian Beach and Atlantic Beach is not really a luxury destination, the more upscale properties seem to be condos and private rentals, while the hotel offerings are more like motels. I should note that when we stayed in August of 2012 the Doubletree in Atlantic Beach was not yet open (formerly the Sheraton, that property was still undergoing reconstruction after Hurricane Irene.) Private, non-chain style motels seem to rule this island and many of them are sub par as beach destination hotels go. We were pleasantly surprised by the islander - but I'll break down the pros and cons here for more specifics.

Pros -
its Beachfront. The property is right on the beach, so all you need to do is walk out your door and over a small wooden platform to be right on the sand. Can't really top that. Also there is a pool. We didn't use it, but it looked lovely, looks out on the ocean, and is a great option if the sand and surf isn't for you. The property has lovely landscaping and a nice lawn between the building and the dunes that could be nice for sitting around with your fellow travelers. Now for the rooms - our room was a king bed with a small kitchenette and a seating area facing out to the side of the property. It was very clean and cozy. We had a couch and large flat-screen tv separated by a half wall from the bed, with a small flat-screen tv opposite it and then kitchenette area at the back of the space. The bathroom was right of the kitchenette. The only window was in the front, by the couch. The interior was nice overall with festive Caribbean colors and you could tell it had recently been re-done.

Cons-
There was no closet, only two large hooks on the wall next to the bed. I actually knew this going into the stay, so i traveled with our dresses/dress clothes on hangers and then hung them from the hooks. We made due, but we had to cram a lot on the hooks and there were only two of us. Because of traveler reviews I also brought a collapsible wooden drying rack from home to dry our swimsuits and towels on after the beach each day. Because there is really no space in the room for a closet, my best suggestion for the property manager would be many more hooks. I hate leaving clothes out, and if I had kids or was eating food in the room I would be wary of having my clothes exposed, but the room was really clean, so really it could have been worse. My advice is to plan ahead.
The hotel is mostly motel style with doors that open right to the outside. You can hear your neighbors, although mostly near the connecting doors at the front of the room. it sounded like our neighbors had several kids in one room, so it may have been an unusual circumstance.
The hotel is located right next to a public beach access that is one of the first as you come over the bridge onto the island. That being said, we were a little wary of some of the beach goers who entered the beach from this point. There were a few groups of men who were drinking a lot, swearing loudly (despite the presence of children), and actively hitting on women that walked by. I've heard from some locals that this is typical of this public beach access because its on the end of the island that is closest to Camp LeJeune, but of course could have just been an unfortunate coincidence. The takeaway is that if you are looking for a less crowded, more family oriented beach site, the location of this hotel may not be ideal. I was a little disappointed with the amenities of Emerald Isle as a whole. While we noticed a large number of nice rental homes, there is no nice little beach town. Shops and Restaurants are in strip malls with average food, and while the island is beautiful, there was nowhere besides the beach itself to walk around. We used both the internet that the in room coastal guide to find restaurants for dinner and weren't impressed.

Overall I think this is a good place to stay if you need a hotel in Emerald Isle. You really can't beat oceanfront and its its a nicer facility than most of the private motel style properties on the island. If you have any flexibility, I would look into a home or condo rental, or a property more central to the Island (pine knoll shores/indian beach). If you are looking for a great NC beach vacation destination, I'd head to the outer banks.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank E-Coast-Travel-Gal

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed at the Islander for a wedding June 7th and 8th. For $160+ a night for a standard room we were very disappointed. The room was very basic. The closet was very small. they only provide 1 hand towel for a room with 2 queen beds. I turned the tv on with the remote and then the remote died and was unable to change channels or turn it off or adjust the volume. The toilet barely went down when you flushed, and the tub filled up with water when you showered. The public beach access next to the hotel charges $10 to park so the Islander will let you park and use their beach access for $9. This made the parking lot very full and caused people (non hotel guests) walking through the property and by the wedding reception. I felt this to be very tacky considering the price being paid for rooms. The Lobby was very blah and the employees were too relaxed. They didn't even stand up to greet guests. As far as the wedding was concerned anything provided by the 3rd party caterer was excellent but anything provided by the hotel was not so great. we had a beer and wine bar at the reception and the beer was warm due to not having enough ice on it. The wedding party had paid for beer and wine yet the bartender had a tip jar out which i felt was very tacky. as it got dark the reception was moved indoors where there was a full cash bar. some of the guests drank a little too much which tends to happen at these things. generally one would think the bartender would just refuse to serve those people but instead they decided to shut down the whole thing and kick us all out of the hall even though it was rented for another couple of hours. The hotel staff insisted on keeping the 2nd entrance to the hall locked forcing everyone to walk around past the bartender and through the hotel lobby to come and go. (i think they were afraid someone might sneak a drink in or something). Overall there were just a lot of issues with the Islander. As other posters have said maybe try some place else

Room Tip: Choose a different place
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Kris M

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am so glad that you found the location so convenient. I am sorry about the issues in your room, the bartenders and the staff. I will address these with them all. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I hope you will stay with us again

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We visited Emerald Isle and the Islander for a wedding during the Memorial Day weekend, the expectations for the rooms were not in accordance with the price we paid. Based on the prices, you would expect a better quality/level of property. Instead, it was more of a two (motel) level. If visiting Emerald Isle for a vacation, I would probably stay elsewhere.

The reason for the review?
Pluses:
* Great beach access
* OK pool – concert in the pool area on Sunday afternoon – band was great
* As with all real estate transactions, three words, location, location, location – located at the beginning of Emerald Isle, the location is great

Minuses:
* Small room, only one sink – with a microwave and small fridge; closet is literally a hole in the wall; unable to put much in the closet, the only luggage that would fit would be a hand bag
* Difficult to contact management – left two voice messages to discuss issues prior to checking in; I did not receive any response – I guess they do not care about customer service or repeat business
* Exercise Room? NOT – broken equipment not even worth mentioning – the only item that was in working shape was a Chuck Norris exercise machine
* Soft beds – similar to the consistency of a marsh mellow – if you have back issues, the bed will make it worse when you wake in the morning
* Minimal amenities - bring your own supply of soap, shampoo, conditioner, beach towel

Like the previous reviewer, I was at the property for a wedding on site. For the price I paid and the amenities and quality provided, would I return? Probably not – there are more minuses than pluses… further down the road on the island are other properties (and rental houses/condos).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank nakamark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emerald Isle
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
#3 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Hampton Inn & Suites Swansboro / near Camp Lejeune at Bear Creek Gate
Best Western Plus Silver Creek Inn
Hampton Inn Morehead City
Hampton Inn Morehead City
#2 of 5 in Morehead City

Been to Islander Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!