“Family Favorite”

The Root Trackside
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Elon
Cuisines: American
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We eat here almost weekly and have never been disappointed. I've tried almost everything on the menu and love it all! I love the fresh take on classic items. Our kids love the old school lunch tray that their dinner comes on with fruit and veggies with every choice! I honestly have too many favorites to mention but... the fried catfish, brussel sprouts, quinoa salad, salmon, basil bleu burger are just a few. The staff is top notch and always make for a pleasant experience. Gotta say I love the music selection while I'm in there as well:) This restaurant is the something new and great that Burlington has been needing... great food without the pretentious atmosphere and prices.

1  Thank agirlthatlovesfood

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I've been going to this restaurant location for more than 20 years. I say this location because it started out as Sidetracks, which was a great place to eat. Well everything changes and this new restaurant has a lot to learn, you can't just copy the menu and expect things to be the same. I gave this new place four chances to impress me, and they have failed. The food is sub par, it has no taste, no flair in presentation. I went there last night for the fourth and final time. During this visit I looked around and was not surprised to see that the locals who used to come here weekly were no longer here. When our food arrived I realized why. You can always tell when restaurants start cutting corners, bad fries, poor produce, bread from a grocery store, etc. So if you're looking for great food, look somewhere else, may I suggest Davinci's Table, or Maria's. Just not The Root!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

ate here while visiting Elan. Great food, atmosphere, service. I would recommend this as the place to go if you are visiting Elon.

1  Thank James L
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We loved this little charming place! The Grilled Cheese sandwich and special Fall Salad were wonderful. Make sure to order a side of the truffle fries and roasted brussel sprouts.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants but tonight I was very disappointed. The food is normally fresh and above average. I ordered the special fall salad because I had had it before and it was delicious, because it is full of fresh mixed greens, sweet potatoes, pecans and Brussels sprouts. Tonight I decided to order it with salmon. When it arrived I was immediately disappointed because this normally beautiful salad was presented as a plain iceberg lettuce salad with a strip of grilled salmon on top. Even though it had the unique toppings, it was tasteless due to the lettuce. I mention this fact to the server and was told that the truck had not come in. I told her that they should change the description of the salad or tell the customer that they have switched to iceberg lettuce because of a supply problem because I never would have spend $14 on a salad had I known. I would have ordered another one of their delicious items on the menu. Instead of being given the choice to choose another entree, I left the restaurant in disappointment and only a "sorry" from the server.

1  Thank Susan H