“Elevates Elm City!”

North Carolina
“Elevates Elm City!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Greetings~

just wanted to tell you about a little known GEM in Elm City NC. I wish it were not in Elm City, as apart from this STELLAR restaurant, there is not much to recommend Elm City in my opinion. However, this place is worth the trip. The owner is a very talented chef as well who does most of the work in the kitchen ( his name is Trent Mayo. ) He is a culinary genius. He could take tuna, kale, black beans, M and Ms and one condiment and turn it into something delicious. The last time I went I had a pecan crusted grilled salmon, and my mother had a scallop dish and we also ordered brie for an app. which was mouth-watering. The salad greens were spinach which I adore and the dressing was homemade as well. They put different things in the house salad, but it is always fresh and the textures and tastes, interesting. They have a wine list that will certainly please anyone no matter what your preference is. All the entrees are "from scratch" and you can tell. Even the yeast rolls are freshly made. The dessert menu is quite simply sinful. Everything is home made and like the entrees, there are many items listed that you don't see everywhere. My favorite custard-type pie is key lime. They did not have the pie but they had a key lime CAKE. No brainer. I have never had anything like it and it was so good I thought I would just DIE. My mother had an apple cobbler type of dish with homemade vanilla ice cream.

The menu for all courses changes often, but what doesn't change is the quality of the food and the service of the chef, hostess and wait staff. The moment you walk into that gorgeous mansion you are greeted by the hostess who at once makes you feel as if you are the only guest she has for the evening. The dining room is lovely and cozy and dressed up to the 9s with beautiful antiques, fabrics and table accoutrements. The waitress was very attentive and polite without giving the impression that she was doing so only to garner a larger tip. The chef I have already spoken of, and additionally you can easiily tell that he has a great passion not only for cooking but for creating as well. If he is cooking "off the cuff," then he truly IS a genius. His excursions off the map of the commonplace are well worth the ride.

It is my understanding that one can go there for a dessert only. I can see how one might pass on dessert after such delicious and filling courses, so if you have to pass on it, DO treat yourself to a dessert-only evening sometime.

It is a little pricer than most places around town, but if you want to break away from the cookie-cutter fare it is worth it to pay a little more. Go to the chains less, save up some of that money and go to the Legacy a few times to try different things. Now THAT is a treat.

Best regards,

Candlejack

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank candlejack

Rocky Mount, North Carolina
“Great food and great atmosphere”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Great food and great atmosphere lovely old eatate size home turned into a great restaurant.This one is a must visit on your list.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank B J
chapel hill
“Deserves the great rating!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The BEST birthday gift ever! My husband took me here for my birthday and it was fabulous!!
Cannot imagine a better dinner for the price and the desserts were to die for. A beautiful setting as well. Do yourself a favor and GO.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Judy G
Wilson, North Carolina
“Favorite Place To Go”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Great food and atmosphere. You want to have a special dinner this is the place. Great variety on the menu. Outstanding desserts. Worth going just for desserts. Can't beat the service anywhere.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Rob W
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Wonderfully relaxed and fun”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Having stayed with friends in Wilson for a couple of days whilst touring N.Carolina they took us here for our farewell dinner.
What a treat! A mansion house which they proudly told us is 101 years old, which has been maintained and decorated in keeping with the era, and which they happily let you wander round
It was very quiet the night we went yet we could still choose which room we sat in - so we had the place to ourselves and got wonderful service and attention from the waitress.
I had mahi mahi in a ginger/soy sauce, which was wonderful the two men new York strip and another had veal. All agreed it was beautifully cooked and fresh

For desert I had frozen lemon pie. Not quite lemony for me and suggest patience before eating it - the chocolate pecan pie was the best dessert but the sorbet and cheesecake were lovely too
Reasonably priced wine and food. Great atmosphere and service.

We all walked away very happy and full of a great evening!!

• Visited January 2012