“Food, ho! :-)”

Pirate's Landing Seafood & Steak Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 47 Restaurants in Elkin
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Franklin, North Carolina
“Food, ho! :-)”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Excellent atmosphere, great food, lovely price! We actually saw the rigging and lights in the fog: AWESOME!

Visited October 2012

boca raton
“This ship has sailed!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Any place can have an off night where not everything goes right, but the night we went to Pirate's Landing ,everything was not only wrong but terrible.
Went here mainly due to the rating and reviews on TripAdvisor. We also asked the hotel staff, and their noncommittal response should have been a warning. They were not overly surprised by our reaction when we returned. I should have been concerned when I looked on line at the menu prices as they seemed too good to be true. In reality they disproved the adage that you get what you pay for as any price for this food would have been too high.
The place is large and less than 10% of the tables were occupied at 5:30 PM on a Wednesday evening. I ordered the larger “Captains cut” prime rib medium rare after getting our waitress’ confirmation that it was indeed very good. It was about a ½ inch thick at best, browned and lumpy on the outside from being reheated, overly seasoned and grizzly. It was medium rare on the inside, thus confirming to me it was reheated in a broiler or oven. If this was a Captains Cut, the galley cook should be made to walk the plank. The “steamed” vegetables (mainly yellow squash and zucchini) were completely limp in an oily liquid with black grill marks. Interesting that they are supposed to be steamed when other reviewers raved about the grilled veggies. Grilled one day, leftover and steamed the next?
My wife had the grilled flounder that was dry and shredded on the fork revealing a soft black substance underneath the middle of the fish (not the skin or scales). It was returned for “Jumbo” grilled shrimp that were actually cooked fairly well but over seasoned and salty. This after my wife had repeatedly requested little or no seasoning. Perhaps in the days of pirates they may have seemed to be jumbo, but today they were extra large at best. Hush Puppies that left oil on your fingers and an oily taste in your mouth rounded out the, and I use this term loosely, meal. When our waitress realized we were not going to eat our food, she apologized saying she did not know what was wrong with the kitchen that night since they did not listen to anything she said. No manager came to our table when my wife returned her first choice, or at the end of meal when our waitress knew we were totally dissatisfied.
Went back to look at the reviews to see what I missed and realized a number of the recent ratings were first timers. Perhaps more seasoned travelers with more comparative restaurant experience would have had a different view of the restaurant. It may have been good once, but like many other restaurants it has certainly gone downhill. If it stays as it is, Pirate’s Landing will become the ghost ship it deserves to be.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Notanewbe
Moncks Corner, South Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome place to eat!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My family and I visited Elkin, North Carolina over the weekend, and while there, went to eat at Pirate's Landing. Being from the coast of South Carolina, I was skeptical about a seafood restaurant in the foothills of North Carolina, but I was definitely taken by surprise! The food was excellent, along with the service (Pirate Robert L. was very attentive and friendly!), and it was overall a great dining experience. Make sure to go hungry because with the amount of food they give you, you will be stuffed after leaving!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank McBee L
Boonville
“Always great!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great food Great service, waiters are alway attentive and great with small kids. early bird special is great lots of food for not a lot of Money!!

Visited September 2012
Mount Airy, North Carolina
“Great service and value.”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

A great value with great quality and quantity for the price-A special shout out to our server Sarah R.-she was so pleasant and seemed ever so happy to help us in any way- a outstanding dining experience in every way!

• Visited September 2012