“Diamond in the Rough”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Elkin Jonesville
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elkin
Reviewed November 8, 2010

As a frequent traveler, I always use TripAdvisor to research potential hotel stays. All of the positive comments made by previous reviewers are true. The place is wonderful.

Unfortunately, we were in the area to attend a funeral for my wife's grandmother. When we received the news that she had passed, I reviewed both the Marriott and TripAdvisor websites and settled on the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Elkin. I passed the word along to my in-laws, who had stayed at a number of other hotel locations in the area -- they said that the other hotels were not very nice.

My in-laws arrived ahead of us and couldn't wait to call us and tell us how nice the property was. When we arrived, we couldn't agree more. While the place was clearly bustling with activity (apparently, there were a few family reunions being held at the hotel), the staff was absolutely tremendous. They extended us a bereavement rate of $69.00. When we got to our room (a king studio suite - room 209), we couldn't believe how nice it was, especially at that rate!

Apparently, the hotel is only a couple years old. As previously mentioned, the staff is wonderful, and I cannot comment enough on how kind and courteous everyone was. I don't know if its just good old fashioned, down-home North Carolina charm or what, but everyone seemed genuinely concerned about giving us the best experience they could - from the front desk, to the kitchen/breakfast, to the cleaning/janitorial staff. They were wonderful.

The hotel itself is set off of Route 77 and is very easy to get to. You can see the sign for it right off of 77. When you see the hotel, the facade is very impressive - it almost looks like old stonework on the front of it (or at least that's how it appeared to us). The parking lot was well set up, and well-lit. There are a number of convenience stores, box stores, and restaurants near by.

For restaurants, we recommend the Pirate's Landing. We arrived extremely late (about closing time at the restaurant) but people there were very friendly and accomodating. My wife ordered the fried calamari. I had the flounder with garlic mashed potatoes. Everything was excellent and the bill came to only $18.72!

Back to the property...the decor is modern - mostly pale lime green, white and black. My description doesn't do it justice -- you'd have to see it. The lobby and front desk is flanked by the business center on one side, and the common area / breakfast area in the back with a nice fireplace and comfortable seating. Breakfast (which was included in the rate) was FANTASTIC!!!!! They had a do-it-yourself waffle machine and plenty of really good fresh hot food - sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy, plus the usual bagels with cream cheese, fruits, cereals, etc. The staff there went out of their way to ask us if the food was ok, were we enjoying ourselves, etc. Every single person was wonderful.

In back of the common area / breakfast area are plate glass windows looking out onto an outdoor seating area with a waterfall style water effect down a stone wall and a large stone fireplace. It was a bit cool while were there, but could imagine going out there in summer, spring, or early fall and enjoying the ambiance.

The property also had an indoor swimming pool and hot tub / jacuzzi. We didn't swim, but the families that were there with kids seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Our room was tastefully appointed in the same color scheme as previously mentioned. All of the electronics were very, very nice - brand new LG big screen television in the living area of our studio suite with tasteful lighting and furniture throughout. Unlike most rooms we've been in, they had a really nice Koenig (spelling?) coffee machine in the room, so we could have really good coffee, hot chocolate, or tea in the room. The bathroom was tastefully done and had everything in it that a tired traveler would need. The sleeping area also had its own big screen television. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows and covers. My wife and I usually have a hard time sleeping when on travel, but had no problems sleeping on this bed / room.

The room also had free WiFi. You can use the tether provided on the desk in the living room area of your room, or just use your wireless network sensor to locate the hotel WiFi network. It worked flawlessly for me - both using my laptop and my Motorola Droid.

All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to the area. You won't be disappointed. While we were there for a sad event, the staff went out of their way to take good care of us.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HuntingtownTraveler

Reviewed October 29, 2010

Stopped here for one night expecting the "normal" Fairfield experience and was amazed at the quality of the lobby, rooms, and service. This is absolutely one of the finest Marriott properties. It puts all other hotels to shame....

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2010

You couldn't ask for more value in a hotel stay. Everything is first rate; staff, rooms, service, breakfast, location and cleanliness. Definitely will stay again and recommend it to everyone. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We met friends for a weekend of North Carolina winery visits. This was our second stay at this hotel and it was great. They had done extensive decorations for a Halloween event they're holding for local children and the place looked wonderful.
Everything at this Fairfield just seems to be just a little bit higher quality than comparably priced places we've used, from the bowls of Hershey's chocolates to the scrambled eggs that are actually scrambled eggs.
The decor is very modern and colorful. Every time I'm in the area, this is where we'll be staying.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I recently stayed at the Fairfield for a friend's wedding and (to be completely honest) had minimal expectations for any hotel in Elkin, as it's a very small town. (I'm from Los Angeles) Boy, was I mistaken. This hotel - both the rooms and the service - exceeded any upscale/boutique hotel I've ever stayed in in any big city and with an affordable price tag. The rooms were enormous and modern with a very "new" feel to everything from the furniture to the flat panel TVs. They really hit the nail on the head with the details of the decor - the black & white carpet, lime green drapes, etc. The beds were luxuriously comfortable. To top it off, they had a free full hot breakfast buffet every morning with coffee, pastries, bacon, eggs, etc. and free internet on a few computers in the lobby! Thank you for such a wonderful stay Elkin Fairfield! :)

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed October 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our 25th anniversary. The hotel is wonderful! We sat outside and enjoyed coffee and cookies by the fireplace. Everything was emmaculate. The staff is top-notch, very friendly and helpful. I have already recommended this hotel to many of my friends and I do plan to stay here again for another great get-away.You just feel like you are in a large city with such luxurious and thoughtful accomodations, however you have that great small town hospitality!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I just wanted to express a BIG Thank You to the staff from the (front desk to the workers that prepared breakfast for us in the morning ) our stay is always pleasant. This was our 3rd or 4th stay since it has been open. It is cozy and they make you feel right at home.We recommend it highly.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkin
Hampton Inn Jonesville/Elkin
Holiday Inn Express in Wilkesboro
Comfort Inn Mount Airy
Comfort Inn Mount Airy
#5 of 8 in Mount Airy

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Elkin Jonesville? Share your experiences!